Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
@qgil
I am not 'panicing' about anything. I was concerned about the amount of influence that they might have over the base operating system. As long as their influence is limited to their own devices then I have no issue. As for bug fixes, this would be a first with Orange, they have a weel documented past of generating a huge number of bugs themselves in hacked software that worked fine in the past.

I appreciate your position in the matter but I would appreciate not being patronised, especially with that last post linking to you tube, you lost a serious amount of respect from me on that one!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
As much as i hate network involvement in anything but selling me data and calls, i see how much they are needed
You only have to look at what O2 and AT&T did for apple to make iphone a success to see how far strong operator backing can take something whats new and make it mainstream
network subsidies are a must for majority in North America so i'm happy to see these kind of announcements early.
personally I will always buy sim free from manufacturer but millions don't.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
As much as i hate network involvement in anything but selling me data and calls, i see how much they are needed
You only have to look at what O2 and AT&T did for apple to make iphone a success to see how far strong operator backing can take something whats new and make it mainstream
network subsidies are a must for majority in North America so i'm happy to see these kind of announcements early.
personally I will always buy sim free from manufacturer but millions don't.
Not sure about AT&T but it was more a case of what iPhone did for O2 rather than the other way around. O2 paid a serious wad to obtain exclusivity in the UK for awhile and gained a huge market slice of revenue generating customers.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I guess the difference with MeeGo is that the DRM might allow them to make their own kernel with their branding, that the user cannot remove.
If that's a Linux kernel then that would be a GPL violation.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by daemonfin View Post
What's Orange?
I laughed out loud because I didn`t know if this phrase was an irony or you really didn`t know what Orange is.....please be the first one!ehehehe

Anyway, Orange data plan and coverage sucks

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I appreciate your position in the matter but I would appreciate not being patronised, especially with that last post linking to you tube, you lost a serious amount of respect from me on that one!
Er... it was sense of humour (whether you find it humorous or not doesn't change the aim for posting the link.

Your sentence asking me for 'words of comfort' made me precisely think there was some patronised tone and the video was a way to share a blink about it.

Ah well, I'll wait for more relaxed times and environments. Video link removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
If that's a Linux kernel then that would be a GPL violation.
No, it wouldn't. It's basic 'tivoisation' and version two of the GPL does nothing to stop it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Ewan, I believe you are mistaken. There have been numerous examples of vendors selling devices with, initially, a 'closed' kernel. E.g. TomTom. They all ended up with having to provide source, and a way to let the customer build&install a new kernel from that source. Today even embedded devices like Panasonic TVs follows this.

After reading up on 'tiviosation' on Wikipedia I still maintain the above. What I was replying to was the statement '..might allow them to make their own kernel with their branding, that the user cannot remove.'.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Ewan, I believe you are mistaken. There have been numerous examples of vendors selling devices with, initially, a 'closed' kernel. E.g. TomTom. They all ended up with having to provide source, and a way to let the customer build&install a new kernel from that source. Today even embedded devices like Panasonic TVs follows this.

After reading up on 'tiviosation' on Wikipedia I still maintain the above. What I was replying to was the statement '..might allow them to make their own kernel with their branding, that the user cannot remove.'.
GPLv3 addresses the TiVoization issue, GPLv2 does not. Nokia is a GPLv2 house. It'll be perfectly possible for a vendor to lock you into their kernel with the Harmattan security framework, and the license Nokia has chosen permits this.

I see nothing positive about a big player getting behind the platform here, Quim, if that player is going to cripple devices, remove user's freedoms and use the MeeGo platform and brand to do it.

You can talk as much as you want about getting Linux to the mainstream, but that doesn't mean anything if that Linux is so locked down as to be unusable. It'll only harm MeeGo as a brand and leave us with yet-another-freedom-squelching-Linux-based-mobile-platform (see LiMo or anything from Motorola). The fears outline by people here are reasonable and well-founded. At least with Maemo we could expect consistency, MeeGo is sounding like it'll be a free-for-all that will end up harming customers more than helping them.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I see nothing positive about a big player getting behind the platform here, Quim, if that player is going to cripple devices, remove user's freedoms and use the MeeGo platform and brand to do it.
Precisely!

Anyone who's ever bought an Orange phone knows how hard Orange works to protect you from your own device, to patronise you, to make it hard or impossible to install your own software or multimedia, and to make it as easy as possible to install Orange's overpriced offerings (often by accident).

The fact that Orange finds MeeGo an attractive platform is not good news.

But I suppose it's inevitable given that MeeGo explicitly entrenches the idea of restricting the GPL to the lower-level stuff and favoring binary-friendly licenses for all the user-level stuff. Combine that with non-redistributable drivers for critical hardware bits, and the claim of MeeGo as "fully open source" is looking like a joke.

If Richard Stallman was dead he'd be turning in his grave.

And qgil, I can tell that you've never had an Orange phone.

Regards,
Roger