Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The Jolla sbj-1 uses btrfs as device filesystem. Because the fs is so small, the whole mmcblk0 is only 16GB, it gets easily to a state where you have free space on the device but you cannot use it because btrfs needs to present allocated space in certain way.
The solution is to check the allocation and balance the btsfr slabs.
Unless you do this you will not be able to complete the upgrade and your device will not boot.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
As far as I understand it, Sailfish runs btrfs balance on the background every night (maybe only if on the charger? can anyone confirm?). You do not need to do anything special, but leave the device settle between updates as chemist suggested. At least overnight.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
As far as I understand it, Sailfish runs btrfs balance on the background every night (maybe only if on the charger? can anyone confirm?). You do not need to do anything special, but leave the device settle between updates as chemist suggested. At least overnight.
Yes and No.

That was not the behaviour in the first releases, cannot remember when it started doing that but it was maybe an year after the first release.

Also that is not valid any longer, in some release (2.0.something) the feature was removed.

The reason I suggest doing it manually between each update is exactly the reason you can be sure your FS is clean before attempting the next update.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Ok but how to do it?
can you give me code please btw each update.

Originally Posted by n950 View Post
Ok but how to do it?
can you give me code please btw each update.
Check the FS; "devel-su btrfs-balancer allocation"
Balance the FS; "devel-su btrfs-balancer balance"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I had no problems (months ago) to update two J1s from 1.0.0.5 to newest (2.xxx).
And absolutely no probs.
Balancing should not be the issue as the amount of download data is not really that much (8*500MB~4GB) should not cause the btrfs balancing "bug".

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post: