Notices

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Can I turn off Bluetooth new device scanning without turning off Bluetooth? I can't find a setting for that.

I finally got a set of Bluetooth headphones to use with my Xperia X running SailfishX. But when I used them, I'd get periodic noise on the audio stream. Not white noise, but modem-y kind of noise. I thought it was just the crappy Monoprice headphones, the cheapest money could buy -- but no, it was happening every ~3 minutes.

And every 3 minutes, the phone searches for new Bluetooth devices -- exactly when the noise happens. That's obviously a bug (or terrible feature), but beyond a user's scope to fix. What I hoped to fix was maybe turning off the periodic search function while I was listening to audio. Is this possible? When I'm mowing the lawn or grinding up fallen leaves, a headphone cable gets in the way, and I'd really hoped to solve that with the wireless set. Right now I'm listening to the news, getting upset, then getting even more upset every 3 minutes!

Ideas? Is there a configuration file I could change with a script, perhaps? If I could do that, I might even be able to automate it with the situations app. I've been digging through ~/.config with no luck so far for anything bluetooth config related.

Thanks!

(I thought about not listening to the news and trying music instead, but that only solves the "bad news" part of the problem . . .)

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I don't get that in my car or with my BT adapter for my ancient HiFi set. Those are the onky two BT devices I have but they both work fine with my Jolla and my X.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
I caught the 'indeterminate' style progress bar searching for devices when the audio glitched, so hypothesis is confirmed re: the cause. I also tried a few more.devices: my wife's tchotchke wireless speaker and a set of ear defender type headphones for noisy.work environments. Same issue each time, so I can't blame the other hardware. Never have been able to play audio on car stereo. Local audio goes silent, but doesn't switch to car. But that's another problem for another day .

ed. spelling

Last edited by robthebold; 2019-10-30 at 16:18. Reason: spelling is hard

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Never have been able to play audio on car stereo. Local audio goes silent, but doesn't switch to car.
In my car (2012 VW Passat), I have to switch the car's audio source manually to Media/Bluetooth and the Bluetooth option only becomes available when there is an audio actually playing. I have this problem all the time when switching from radio to Bluetooth for navigation, since the navigation plays audio only sporadically. I have to start playing some music on the phone first, then switch the car to Media/Bluetooth. I can then switch the music off: the car remains locked to Bluetooth, even if silent. Might be worth checking if your is a similar issue.

Regarding your search noise, no, I have never experienced it. I have it permanently on, visibility off.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
One solution, actually a super jinkey hack, is to write a script to run an MP3 or whatever edited in your favorite audio editor(audacity) to a very low level. I just ran a 1 minute looped sample of radio static edited down to low volume. I had thoughts of making it run as part of the scripts created when carkit is turned on but I left that bt kit in a rental.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
audio, bluetooth, sailfishx, xperiax