I am 99% sure they said that they were working on a hardware update - whether that's a new device or not, it's a different story, and that they wanted to go to China before Feb 2014. I think the latter is more important than the device at the minute, to bring in interest and cash.

Bear in mind that in China they may aim primarily at installing Sailfish on Android devices - and yes, this is for them, not for us, maybe the community can derive from that, but I don't know ;-)

Lastly, cash is very important - if Jolla can self sustain themselves, it means that the VC's can't say much about their precious ROI and they can have a fair amount of freedom (read: they won't be forced to hire an "Elop" type CEO). They should, of course, think about growing, meaning bringing in more investment and the like.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What's jolla next move after opening sales to Europe?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Oulu, Finland
I've read some Finnish articles about Jolla lately.

CEO Tomi Pienimäki said the global phone market is huge, so Jolla doesn't have to be for everyone. They are targeting a market segment, however it can't be just a "nerd thing", a right balance is needed.
(Mobiili.fi 19/Dec/2013)

Can we expect a new phone from Jolla in 2014? Tomi Pienimäki replied: "Clearly devices have a limited lifespan. I guess you could say it's probable. We do have plans for that."
(Mobiili.fi 19/Dec/2013)

I also liked this quote from co-founder Sami Pienimäki:
"Thanks to Nokia, a great amount of mobile sector know-how was born here, be it engineering, industrial design, marketing, sales or product development. This must be treasured. It's a responsibility for us all."
(Talouselämä 29/Jul/2013)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What's jolla next move after opening sales to Europe?
China would be a good bet, possibly partnering with a Chinese brand and releasing a cheap-ish phone with Sailfish OS on it. It would need integration with Sina Weibo and other Chinese services of course, but Jolla hasn't updated their own official page since October, so not sure if anything China-related is happening right now...

Jolla will have some kind demo space in MWC.
http://wpsailors.com/2014/01/10/joll...nokia-and-nsn/

I wonder if there will be any announcement? I can understand that they simply want a demo area in such a large expo to get more attention towards them. It's not like it's easy for many outside Europe to test the device.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Jolla will have some kind demo space in MWC.
http://wpsailors.com/2014/01/10/joll...nokia-and-nsn/

I wonder if there will be any announcement? I can understand that they simply want a demo area in such a large expo to get more attention towards them. It's not like it's easy for many outside Europe to test the device.
Considering that Jolla launched their device not too long ago and that they are fully busy bringing Sailfish out of the 'beta' phase, I doubt that there will be important announcement, but I also think think that MWC is an excellent place for Sailors to... go fishing for operators. Any deal brought home would make their future more solid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Considering that Jolla launched their device not too long ago and that they are fully busy bringing Sailfish out of the 'beta' phase, I doubt that there will be important announcement, but I also think think that MWC is an excellent place for Sailors to... go fishing for operators. Any deal brought home would make their future more solid.
i kind of disagree. They could announce the easy installation of sailfish os on lots of android devices. Or some special TOH or an agreement with another country operator...etc...
But let's see

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I still doubt there is a second Jolla phone. Now if it come something 2014(unrelated to MWC) its probadly just upgrade. Lets say 2Gb RAM instead of 1 or 32Gb MMC instead of 16.

But what they will demo on MWC is probadly not a phone. Maybe some OTH stuff? Lets hope

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
It actually MUST get an bigger operator on Q1 2014 or else Jolla is doomed. Sorry to say that

But most people does not buy a phone in a online shop

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-01-11 at 11:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
It actually MUST get an bigger operator on Q1 2014 or else Jolla is doomed. Sorry to say that
I'll say this really depends on the strategy in China... if they manage to get money for the OS installed in other devices, then it'd a lot of profit with very little underlying cost, so it won't matter if they get a bigger operator or not.

Weren't they talking to operators in the UK anyway? I wonder what came out of that... maybe they are watching them perform, which Jolla is doing very well IMO.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post: