Hi there,

I use Skype to Skype free call very often. Somebody at together.jolla.com told me there is no hope for a native Skype on Jolla. I am now considering SIP.

Is there this feature SIP to SIP free call(like Skype to Skype free call)for Jolla?

Last edited by youmeego; 2014-01-06 at 04:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
It has been confirmed that at some point SIP functionality will be integrated in the Jolla.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...e-integration/

For the time being you could use a SIP client for Android to call other SIP accounts.

I have tested CSIPSimple , the nicest SIP client on Android but it doesn't work due to the high level of integration into Android (which makes it so good)

2nd I have tested Jitsi for Android client.
Jitsi is still in alpha but it seems to work and can call other SIP accounts.
It has great configuration options and I like particularly the DNS option that allows to sneak past the Google DNS that is hard coded in the Android part of the Jolla.
I hope Jitsi will soon turn to native Sailfish.

Note that for now the Android programs such as Skype or Jitsi use the bottom loudspeaker for sound output and not the phone's earspeaker.

Let's dump MS Skype (and all other proprietary services such as Viber etc..) in favour of SIP and XMPP. Together we can do it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
I doubt Jitsi will support Sailfish soon. It relies on OpenJDK and it historically was always a huge pain to build for ARM (not sure if it changed). Note its absence in Mer.

I hope Telepathy based clients for SIP and XMPP/Jingle will catch up on Sailfish soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the helpful input.

Is it free to make SIP VOIP call to my friend who is also using SIP VOIP(of course he/she needs to be in online mode)?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It depends on the organisation or company that provides your SIP account. I've had accounts on servers that blocked SIP-to-SIP calls and only allowed calls from/to the public phone network (which they charged for). SIP is just the technology, not a business model that comes with a standardized price.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It depends on the organisation or company that provides your SIP account. I've had accounts on servers that blocked SIP-to-SIP calls and only allowed calls from/to the public phone network (which they charged for). SIP is just the technology, not a business model that comes with a standardized price.
would you please recommend a sip provider that allows sip to sip call with/ without small charge

another question is which has better call quality? SIP, SKYPE or Viber?

Last edited by youmeego; 2014-01-15 at 07:43.

Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
would you please recommend a sip provider that allows sip to sip call with/ without small charge
I'm sorry, not really. I stopped used third party providers after I found out years ago that my mobile carrier offers a SIP service (including SIP to SIP support). You'd need to live in Austria and sign up for a mobile contract with them, so I guess for 99% of the readers in this forum its of no use. For me it's great, because calls to my phone are forwarded to my SIP account as well... and when I call someone via SIP on their mobiles or landlines, they see my regular phone number. Very nice solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
another question is which has better call quality? SIP, SKYPE or Viber?
If we leave the connection quality and bandwidth between a caller and callee out of the question: Skype and Viber are closed proprietary networks, which use predefined codecs, sampling rates and bitrates, whereas SIP is an open standard. With SIP the call quality depends on which codecs the clients support and how the codec negotiation has been configured in the server and clients. Even though SIP supports anything from lofi to hifi, you will most likely get a "normal telephone call quality" sound from a randomly chosen SIP provider.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
My provider is partner with Vodafone and offer SIP, found this option by accident as they don't advertise it much. I use it like benny1967, not only on phone, also on computer (bundled sw from provider on windows and jitsy on ubuntu). When I travel abroad usually take wifi router and hook it on lan adapter in hotel room -- I found most hotel's wifi to be very unrealiable. Another example is warehouse at my job -- it's underground with no signal, but we have wifi all over the place
My provider charge 2,50 EUR (with VAT) for monthly service.

The Following User Says Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sponka View Post
My provider is partner with Vodafone and offer SIP, found this option by accident as they don't advertise it much. I use it like benny1967, not only on phone, also on computer (bundled sw from provider on windows and jitsy on ubuntu). When I travel abroad usually take wifi router and hook it on lan adapter in hotel room -- I found most hotel's wifi to be very unrealiable. Another example is warehouse at my job -- it's underground with no signal, but we have wifi all over the place
My provider charge 2,50 EUR (with VAT) for monthly service.
Are you on Si.mobil? Then it may well be even the same service (technically), as Si.mobil and my provider A1 are part of the same group and are both Vodafone partners. I'd expect they share some infrastructure and/or technical expertise.