The question is: should the community spontaneously start one, or wait for them?

(we coiuld also probably ask them on twitter if they have anything against the idea?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
I agree about the bugtracker. If the first devices that are in people's hands now are to be used as a beta testing ground before the "proper" launch later on this phase needs to be exploited to its fullest. I really see no downside to an open tracker. Maybe there's some weird conception about "broadcasting faults" in their products...

I also think any bugtracker should be administered by Jolla. If their heart isn't in it, there's no point.

I'm also a bit concerned about any community repositories. I've been trying to read up on that after being away a bit and saw the openrepos.net thread but... well, I'm just a bit worried by the lack of proactive action in this area by Jolla. What makes the N900 survive to this day is the community repositories and forums (apart from the device itself).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fawz View Post
What makes the N900 survive to this day is the community repositories and forums (apart from the device itself).
Take devel away N900 is kill

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
The question is: should the community spontaneously start one, or wait for them?

(we coiuld also probably ask them on twitter if they have anything against the idea?)
w00t did outline his personal reasons why he's not really for it in the #JollaLoveDay - 20th May thread IIRC about a wk or so ago.
I personally didn't agree with them, but I could respect/see his point...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-28 at 22:21.

I think we should wait for Jolla to respond, but not too long. And if they'll decide not to make any bugtracker, then community should open one, to at least have one place to collect the bug reports.

The lack of bugtracker and a big chunk of closed components in Sailfish really raise some red flags. What about open development in the future? I hope Sailfish won't get Android like development with some code thrown over the fence once in a while. Jolla wanted to avoid Nokia's mistakes, not to repeat them.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-11-29 at 00:29.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
The lack of bugtracker and a big chunk of closed components in Sailfish really raise some red flags. What about open development in the future? I hope Sailfish won't get Android like development with some code thrown over the fence once in a while. Jolla wanted to avoid Nokia's mistakes, not to repeat them.
+1 from here. Though I have to say that individual employees are visibly trying to improve things.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
At this point there is at least this: http://piratepad.net/JollaFAQ
Wasn´t this actually created by w00t? =)

The Following User Says Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by szopin View Post

BMO is up and running, I don't think anyone (from the maemo community) would object to add sailfish as a bug target.

Though, from what I've seen so far, seems that the jolla guys are simply not interested in any community behind sailfish. They should've done it in the neo900 way from the very beginning, maybe it is not too late to change now. I am not saying they should change the HW specifications because of a some post on TMO, but open communication with your primary target user group (no matter that they refuse to admit it, those with N900 and most of those with N9 that are active on TMO are that group) is a must IMO. At least while sailfish is still in a beta stage.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sadly I suspect this is quite representative of most of their attitudes (there are some exceptions like w00t etc) towards maemo.org:
https://twitter.com/JediTWang/status/406184126555770880
It's pretty sad that many MeR/Nemo/Sailfish devs don't even appreciate/understand the community/ethos that is maemo.org/HFB/HFC.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-11-29 at 09:45.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sadly I suspect this is quite representative of most of their attitudes (there are some exceptions like w00t etc) towards maemo.org:
https://twitter.com/JediTWang/status/406184126555770880
It's pretty sad that many MeR/Nemo/Sailfish devs don't even appreciate/understand the community/ethos that is maemo.org/HFB/HFC.
I fail to see the relevance of whay you posted, that is your own tweet?