Notices

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Used it properly for the first time to record a nasty phone call with the bank. Works great apart from missing the first few seconds of the call, not that that's important when you're punching in endless number options.
Would it be possibe to start recording when the receivers phone starts ringing instead of when it connects. Just a thought.

Thanks alot for another great program.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
All credit should go to Copernicus. He has done the hard work with audio and dbus and stuff. All I have done is a few small tweaks in the configuration. The original documentation warns about a potential lag iin recording/playback start/stop/pause commands - the audio subsystem takes some time to set up. I may have made it worse by a more complex file name generation. Luckily, I have an idea how to deal with that. My next plan is to look into the dbus stuff to see what can be done about the background operation. Triggering on a ring rather than on the connection is a good idea, I will look into thar at the same time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
I am still using Copernicus version from the repos. I don't like messing with things when they're working but thanks for picking up the baton and carrying on the work. I'll keep a close eye on this thread.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have requested to become a maintainer and hopefully will get to the point of being able to upload updates.
Just for the record - you don't have to be maintainer, if you only want to post update for ectras-devel. Being maintainer is only required to promote version to -testing and extras. Anyone with proper uploader account can push updates.

Thanks for your great work on it!

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Hey, just a note to say that Orecchiette 0.0.5 is now making its way into extras-devel. This update is all pichlo's work (this being the three new features mentioned above; remembering the chosen audio source, the option to start recording immediately, and the new file format string). I've taken a look at the code, and done a little testing, and it all looks good to me. Thanks pichlo!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
@pichlo
Small typo found in 0.0.5.

Preferences / File name Format.
"AM or FM" instead of "AM or PM"

Only just worked out that "Update format string" pushButton is actually "Save Format"

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
@pichlo
Small typo found in 0.0.5.

Preferences / File name Format.
"AM or FM" instead of "AM or PM"
Damn. Sorry about that

Only just worked out that "Update format string" pushButton is actually "Save Format"
Someone has not read the documentation, heh?

That one is open for a discussion though. I started off with "Save" but thought, "save what?" and "save where?" Should we have a vote for the best name?

BTW, Copernicus suggested to eliminate that button altogether. That might work just as well.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-03-25 at 21:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Damn. Sorry about that
Copernicus suggested to eliminate that button altogether. That might work just as well.
I would have to agree.

Currently from the way it is written you can change the lineEdit and it may not show the current saved information.
This is why you have included the label underneath, I guess?

I would think writing the lineEdit to QSettings on close is easier then you can load them into the lineEdit each time you open Prefs doing away with the Label, if that makes sense.
Or instead of removing the label, you could make the label display a true example; instead of repeating the lineEdit.

So if lineEdit is "Recording %Y%m%d-%H%M%S"
Label is "Recording 20140325-214200"
Not sure how easy that is to implement

If you go with above it could also be useful to add a clear button to load the current QSettings back to the lineEdit. Incase you mess up and want to revert back.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Or instead of removing the label, you could make the label display a true example; instead of repeating the lineEdit.

So if lineEdit is "Recording %Y%m%d-%H%M%S"
Label is "Recording 20140325-214200"
Not sure how easy that is to implement
That would not be too difficult but it might be a bit misleading. The format string is resolved at the time of starting the recording. Doing the above would resolve it at a wrong time and show the wrong result. I suppose I could make it a "Validate" button and pop up a messagebox with the result instead of updating the label, making it clear that the result is just a sample and the actual file name may be different.

BTW, another thing I was considering was having an option to use the start or the end time of the recording for the file name generation. That is a bit trickier but not insurmountable.

If you go with above it could also be useful to add a clear button to load the current QSettings back to the lineEdit. Incase you mess up and want to revert back.
That could work too but aesthetically there is not enough room for two buttons. So it's either "Validate" or "Clear", take your pick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
That would not be too difficult but it might be a bit misleading. The format string is resolved at the time of starting the recording. Doing the above would resolve it at a wrong time and show the wrong result. I suppose I could make it a "Validate" button and pop up a messagebox with the result instead of updating the label, making it clear that the result is just a sample and the actual file name may be different.
Why not simply prefix the label with
Code:
Example:- "string"
?
BTW, another thing I was considering was having an option to use the start or the end time of the recording for the file name generation. That is a bit trickier but not insurmountable.
Sounds good

That could work too but aesthetically there is not enough room for two buttons. So it's either "Validate" or "Clear", take your pick.
I would personally say "clear" and make the preference save on exit. It keeps Preferences saving on exit which is inline with the other pasta shaped applications.
Others my have a different opinion.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Tags
nokia n900, pasta, recording