Notices

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I have installed and executed it without any problem. Thank you for this application, it's a great first release. I hope it could, eventually, substitute my ageing cbrPager.

The application looks nice and I haven't found any problem with the comics I had in my device (cbz and cbr).

Navigation is a bit slow, could you implement a preload of next page and cache for latest seen page? That way, page flipping could be faster.

Fitting options and OSD button for changing from window to full screen are great.

Auto rotation is nice, though a bit slow.

Could you implement any other ways for page flipping? Slide gesture, or tap on the edge of the screen, for example. If so, the volume up/down buttons could be freed to be used with a media player.

And my final feature ask, swipe gesture for zoom in/out. With the tiny screen of the N900, easy zooming is a must (it could also be mapped to the rocker buttons, as an option).

Thanks for your work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
nice apps. however, there are 2 features i found missing from this apps

i don't feel like abusing my volume key each time i navigate between pages (keyboard is not an option either). could you add an option to enable swap to change page just like the built-in image viewer?
though this also has some issue (for example, you wish to pan the image and end up switching to other images), but i still prefer this. or if you could come up with better idea, that'd be great

edit. oops, didn't see my above post suggesting the same idea. meaning that not only me thinking of this idea

second one is, i hope you can also add a library feature. it can be manually added by user, or even better if user can put their files into a dedicated directory and mieru can list the content of the directory and automatically list it into its library
also it should support categorizing files depends on the directory level, ie.
<path>/XX : then XX is assumed as the series title
<path>/XX/YY : XX is the series title, and YY is the volume
<path>/XX/YY/ZZ : ditto with ZZ as chapter

and instead of stopping at the last file, it should be able to navigate between volume/chapter seamlessly (as user option), for example
XX/vol 1/last.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch 1/01.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch 1/last.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch end/01.jpg -> XX/vol 2/ch end/last.jpg -> XX/vol 3/01.jpg

anyway, thanks for the great apps

The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I get this error when trying to install...
I got this error too when installing it with FAM. The shortcut appeared but did not launch Mieru. Running "apt-get install -f mieru" in X-Term solved the problem.

This apps sounds very cool, cbrPager anc Comix were missing a few features (like volume buttons to change pages, great idea) and this one is much more minimalistic, but very efficient. I think it will become my prefered one.

I second the idea of a "preload next page" function to improve navigation.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kabouik; 2011-06-12 at 02:09.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I would love to see this for Maemo 4 but it looks as there are so many features that it would be a real pain to recompile it.

But still, I thought to at least beg.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Hi all,

this morning i got the following errors trying to run mieru. Ran great at the weekend, so i wonder if it's a problem reloading the last used file.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "mieru.py", line 347, in <module>
    mieru = Mieru()
  File "mieru.py", line 76, in __init__
    self.platform = maemo5.Maemo5(self)
  File "/opt/mieru/maemo5.py", line 24, in __init__
    self.rotationObject = self._startAutorotation()
  File "/opt/mieru/maemo5.py", line 412, in _startAutorotation
    rotationMode = self.mieru.get('rotationMode', self._getDefaultRotationMode()) # get last used mode
  File "mieru.py", line 296, in get
    return self.d.get(key, default)
AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'get'
anyone know where the last viewed path is stored so i can clear the setting and try?

Cheers

EDIT: Seems home has got itself mounted read-only, so it's most likely this is the cause. Will update once I can resolve and test again.

EDIT 2: read-only issue resolved but same error exists launching mieru - also raised on github bugtracker.

Last edited by mr id; 2011-06-15 at 13:27. Reason: updates on read-only filesystem

The Following User Says Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Great app! it is now my main program for comic/manga reading (the stats shows 700+ pages read so far )

Thanks a lot for the read images from folders option, a few of my comics I get are like that so it was a pain with the other apps to have to compress them just to have them load!

And it's really fast (tested with a zip file that had 2000 strip comics and loaded almost instantly) and I like it's simplicity.

Here are my requests

-manga reading mode (so a page starts from the top right instead of top left, this is a manga app after all )
-currently the background color behind a comic is white, is it possible to have it in black? it's better for the eyes imo when reading it in the night.
-personally, I am against having too many options for zooming in/out, I think the four options are enough. whenever I read comics I don't see the need to constantly adjust the size ala iphone. but that's just me

-when in "fit to width" mode, the volume buttons could be used for scrolling the page up/down. so when the scrolling reaches the bottom of the page. it opens up a new one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
great app!! it would be great if u make a next page button on the scree=D

installing programs using fam. Installation successful,but cant find the shortcut . Am i missing something ?

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Development plans
I'd like to add page caching/preload + on-screen paging buttons + manga mode and then push a version to Testing.

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Could you implement any other ways for page flipping? Slide gesture, or tap on the edge of the screen, for example. If so, the volume up/down buttons could be freed to be used with a media player.
I have made a list of possible paging methods that have crossed my mind:
  • on screen buttons
  • swipe gestures - might clash with kinetic scrolling
  • screen clicking/double-clicking
  • proximity sensor, shutter button
  • screen edge swipe - like in Microb
  • accelerometer based (probably won't work very well)

Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
And my final feature ask, swipe gesture for zoom in/out. With the tiny screen of the N900, easy zooming is a must (it could also be mapped to the rocker buttons, as an option).
I don't really get this. Do you mean continuous zoom ? The swirl zoom from Microb would be nice for this, but might be quite hard to do right.

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
second one is, i hope you can also add a library feature.
I remember Comix having something like this - but it was unusable on N900 due to the unadapted GUI.

A library with a touch friendly UI would be nice indeed.
I was also thinking about adding something like "bookmarks" for specific pages. Mieru currently remembers only one page per chapter in history. The "bookmarks" might quite nicely blend in with the library functionality.

Originally Posted by lonk View Post
-currently the background color behind a comic is white, is it possible to have it in black? it's better for the eyes imo when reading it in the night.
Well, why not - I'll add a black/white selector.

Originally Posted by locolyric View Post
installing programs using fam. Installation successful,but cant find the shortcut . Am i missing something ?
No idea - note that the icon can default to a blue square right after first install due to the infamous Hildon/GTK icon loading bug. But it should display normally after a wile or after a reboot. If you are using Catorize, Mieru should be in the Graphics category.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I would love to see this for Maemo 4 but it looks as there are so many features that it would be a real pain to recompile it.
Well:
  • the core (loading, history, stats, fitting) should work
  • hildon widgets - some might be Fremantle only
  • Clutter (animating the page) - IMO not available in Maemo 4
So theoretically replacing Clutter with a GTK drawable + pixmap and using Maemo 4 only widgets might work.
But I have no Maemo 4 device + I already have my plate quite full.
If somebody want's to work on Maemo 4 support, the code is all there and I can give you pointers what exactly might need to be replaced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: