Has anyone tested does this affect your battery life after you have closed the application? The other Hotspot application apparently does that.

Last edited by MisterMaster; 2014-01-03 at 16:52.

Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
Has anyone tested does this affect your battery life after you have closed the application? The other Hotspot application apparently does that.
This app:
- Monitors the real status of tethering via dbus
- Disables tethering automatically, when you close the app
- Restores previous state of the interfaces, when tethering is disabled

The other app (hotspot) at the moment:
- Is just a simple wrapper, which sends on/off commands
- Doesn't monitor anything at all
- Doesn't disable tethering automatically, when you close the app
- Doesn't restore previous state of the interfaces, when tethering is disabled

Edit: Basically if this app affects your battery consumption after you have closed it, please send a bug report to me.

Last edited by Jare; 2014-01-03 at 17:26.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jare For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Even after a day of bluetooth-tethering with a few hundred MiB transfered the battery was only half empty. N9 and N95 before never managed that

However, it seems that after disabling the tethering, wifi has issues reconnecting. Wifi is quite buggy anyway in the current Sailfish release, so I guess it's not even therering-gui's fault. A reboot fixes it, but perhaps less drastic measures are enough. On the N9, restarting the ICD2 service often helped. Is there something alike on Jolla?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Watchmaker View Post
Works good for me. Didn't have time to test it with an Android device (my Nexus 7 never saw N9's hotspot because of lack of ad-hoc support on Android itself), or to see its battery consumption, but my Kubuntu pc can see the hotspot just fine.
Actually, it says in the first post that it has infrastructure mode.
Does it, Jare?
All kinds of devices have trouble dealing with ad-hoc connections, not just Android, and even if they're supposed to support it (ftr, I haven't tested the app yet).

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
However, it seems that after disabling the tethering, wifi has issues reconnecting. Wifi is quite buggy anyway in the current Sailfish release, so I guess it's not even therering-gui's fault. A reboot fixes it, but perhaps less drastic measures are enough. On the N9, restarting the ICD2 service often helped. Is there something alike on Jolla?
The tethering gui will handle wifi device state during bluetooth tethering too, so either it triggers a bug in Jolla's connection agent or it's a bug in the tethering gui. Anyway the tethering gui only switches wifi radio on/off and a change in wifi radio state is automatically signaled to all listeners by connman, so there shouldn't be too much to do wrong.

For me it seems that the issues with wifi and mobile data connections were actually worsened by the current Sailfish release. There are especially issues with wifi auto-connect, so at the moment I'm kind of waiting for a new Sailfish release.

What kind of state the wifi adapter ends up in your case? Does it show a star in the status icon and fail to auto-connect or does it fail completely and display a "problem with connection" error and/or an exclamation mark in the status icon?

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Actually, it says in the first post that it has infrastructure mode.
Does it, Jare?
All kinds of devices have trouble dealing with ad-hoc connections, not just Android, and even if they're supposed to support it (ftr, I haven't tested the app yet).
Yes, it creates an infrastructure network instead of ad-hoc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jare For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
nice app, works well, easy and simple. Got to love it

An idea to add: list of connected clients

Tags
bluetooth, network, sharing, tethering, wifi hotspot