This month Maemo Leste has kernel version 6.1...so I started to think would be easy to go Maemo version numbering matching kernel version starting from version 6.1? Then Maemo Leste 7 comes when it comes

So would it be good that Maemo 6.1 should be first LTS version?

What you think about that Maemo version numbering?

I don't know any Linux distro that follows kernel versioning like that.

Since kernel development happens independently of distro development, that would put unnecessary pressure on distro devs.

I also seem to remember that Torvalds said that the decision to up the major version number is more or less arbitrary.

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
I don't know any Linux distro that follows kernel versioning like that.
Many Linux distros has some reason why it is not numbered like that. But Maemo doesn't have any reason why not right now.

Since kernel development happens independently of distro development, that would put unnecessary pressure on distro devs.
Actually it doesn't give any pressure at all. They can skip numbers or add RC2 or SP2 or .01 or something to version number or skip some version numbers if needed.

I also seem to remember that Torvalds said that the decision to up the major version number is more or less arbitrary.
That is true, but major and minor version number go bigger any way. So why not synchronize Maemo version numbering to that at least from 6.1 to some version that not possible. What would be reason that it had to stop?

Originally Posted by teroyk View Post

So would it be good that Maemo 6.1 should be first LTS version?
Maemo is ready for daily use? LTS version?
That's nice

On which device? PinePhone Pro?

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
Maemo is ready for daily use? LTS version?
It is now more like 6.1 Developer Preview version, but there can be path to up to LTS.

Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
On which device? PinePhone Pro?
Pinephone Pro is not supported at all, but on Pinephone and Droid 4 works quite well.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post: