Having just gotten a phone I can tether with I must write this.
Previously I was envious of the iPhone for one reason: Internet without WIFI. It was annoying to be on the road and need to find out something, say a gas station, hotel, whatever and not be able to because I had no net connection.

It was annoying to be on the road and not know where the traffic was because...I had no net connection. Now I don't think about it. It is so liberating.

To talk to a friend and decide to meet up and to be able to just load up MaemoMapper and get the route right now (with traffic reports) is perfect!

I feel as if I wasted half the potential of this tablet of mine by not getting squaring away this tethering option before. If you are a new user of an IT do yourself a favor and get the tethering activated.

Now it does kind of suck right now that my Solio does not have the proper plug for the phone I purchased, but that can probably be remedied later.

Now I would love to have a Boxee app for the N800 but that's an entirely different conversation.

Yeah, I'm in the unfortunate position of being locked into a cell contract for another 10 months, with a carrier that absolutely refuses to allow tethering via Bluetooth (Telus in Canada). They claim that it has been disabled "for my own safety"

Anyone know how to do BT tethering on the Telus network? I'm using an LG Chocolate (original slider) phone.

That sucks. I was fortunate to get a sort of hook up. I was "supposed" to pay for an additional tethering plan but I'm not.

Get T-Mobile, the right phone, and you'll be on your way. I've got a Nokia 6680, but unfortunately, aside from the G1, all the other T-Mobile G3 phone suck a caraboo's behind.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
You can also make a ad-hoc with your phone. While this eats battery power, it works in case of urgent or necessesity. And if you know you can load up your phone again, or if you are using a car loader, then its not a huge deal either.

Spock, I'd go out and find how to unlock your phone. That'll allow you to enable tethering. And yes, Telus blows. They're almost worse than AT&T.

Originally Posted by spock View Post
They claim that it has been disabled "for my own safety"

Oh I love that.

The next time my contract is up, I'm going look for a tethering option if the iPhone or Android hasn't progressed far enough to suit my needs.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Speaking of tethering and locking out the user "for their own safety" (more like the safety of the profits of the stupid phone giants) I'm waiting patiently for the day when phone companies stop screwing their customers over and start offering services people want at a reasonable price. Now stop laughing, it will happen...some day...maybe.

Seriously though, I'm sick of getting screwed by cellular companies. Things really need to change and soon.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by spock View Post
They claim that it has been disabled "for my own safety"
Anyone else see a Bruce Willis movie in this?

Bruce: Watch out! He's got a cell phone and a MID! It looks like he's going to tether!
[Evil guy pulls out his stylus]
[Bruce and Danny Glover dive behind the cop car]....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:

Tags
tethering