Notices

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
This looks like a broken download. Try downloading again, maybe using another computer. It could also be that the problem was on the server side (as we all know, garage.maemo.org isn't known for stability...). In that case, try downloading again later.
Tried it several times now. Also with the older 0.90-1 and 0.90 versions. All have the same behavior. Can it be something in my device being wrong?

Ton.

N800 + 2008beta

Hello,

My related experience and problems (i speak only about video).

BEFORE installing Mediabox and Python-runtime :

= Mplayer (also beta) work fine with sound, reading AVI files

= Mplayer with http://linkmp4 = Video Ok (sometime with "scramble") but no sound.

AFTER installing Mediabox and Python-runtime :

= Mplayer work always fine with sound, reading AVI files (no change)
= Mediabox also, nice with AVI (but very limited : Impossible to give it a link like http://... , no play list)

= Mplayer with http://linkmp4 = Video NO MORE OK (display nothing or a fixed picture) and sometimes a "craked" sound.

For me (using http links) this is a very bad news : I dont understand why Mediabox install has broken some Mplayers fonctionalities.

(Sorry for my so bad English)

Jean Louis

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
MediaBox doesn't touch the mplayer installation. Maybe you still had mplayer running in the background for some reasons?

Do other users experience the same problems?

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
When I can get it to work(continuously hangs on searching for files unless I manually remove my removable mem card) it seems a very descent program.

Any ideas on how to get past this, does it seem to hang on a particular file type or name ?

Is there or will there be a place to download pod/videocasts ?

Originally Posted by TTgowings View Post
When I can get it to work(continuously hangs on searching for files unless I manually remove my removable mem card) it seems a very descent program.

Any ideas on how to get past this, does it seem to hang on a particular file type or name ?
It could be that building the thumbnails takes a long time if you have many media files. How long have you waited?
It's unlikely but cannot be ruled out that mplayer hangs while trying to thumbnail a certain video file.

Is there or will there be a place to download pod/videocasts ?
Eventually yes.

I've started using media box to play back podcasts that have been downloaded by iTunes on my MacBook Pro. I just push them to the N800 using an sshfs mount onto my external card. This works nicely, but also copies the hidden metadata files, which show up in the mediabox media browser.

Could you modify mediabox to not show these hidden files, please. They begin with the usual "." character.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Sweet Py (eventually yes) and since the other day, it loads abit better now, as I just removed my external card and it scanned quite quickly, then I undid some of the folders to check for media, then re-inserted my MMC and slowly added the diff files to search for and that seemed to work. So now on startup, sometimes it'll take about 30secs or less to search for the media and other times it still takes a few mins.

Oh and I've asked on some of the other media apps currently available, and most devs have said either no or they'll look into it, but will you at some point add in visualiztions,

I guess some of us have been spoiled by PC media apps where they show album art and file descriptions or some sort of a phsycadelic Viz.. (looks really cool on the Xbox 360, where you can use your controller to somewhat control the visualizations, it'd be really cool if we could have this feature on the N800 and be able to use the touch screen, much like the Nintendo DS game Electroplankton)

I'm wonderiing about using shared media over a network. The dialog box allows me to select a network folder but then it freezes the program. Is there any way to do this?

Sweet Py (eventually yes) and since the other day, it loads abit better now, as I just removed my external card and it scanned quite quickly, then I undid some of the folders to check for media, then re-inserted my MMC and slowly added the diff files to search for and that seemed to work. So now on startup, sometimes it'll take about 30secs or less to search for the media and other times it still takes a few mins.

Oh and I've asked on some of the other media apps currently available, and most devs have said either no or they'll look into it, but will you at some point add in visualiztions,

I guess some of us have been spoiled by PC media apps where they show album art and file descriptions or some sort of a phsycadelic Viz.. (looks really cool on the Xbox 360, where you can use your controller to somewhat control the visualizations, it'd be really cool if we could have this feature on the N800 and be able to use the touch screen, much like the Nintendo DS game Electroplankton)
Well, I can't promise you psychedelic viz. but at least there is album art and file descriptions. Press the fullscreen button when playing a music file.

Originally Posted by jmancine View Post
I'm wonderiing about using shared media over a network. The dialog box allows me to select a network folder but then it freezes the program. Is there any way to do this?
This is not supported yet. But it's on my TODO list.