Hi Fanoush.

What about cpio for backing up the system?

Since it is a bit weird to install GNUtar because of compatibility issues with GNUcpio (at least in N770)... why don't use GNUcpio instead?

What would be the code, then?

Maybe...
# cd /floppy
# find . -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pvd /opt

Originally Posted by sebastian.linux View Post
About the mounting and unmounting of /opt and /floppy: [...]
Thanks Sebas for this and the other explanations, using the 770 is all a big tutorial about learning linux (especially when someone finds some time to explain stuff clearly like you do). That alone makes me happy to own one.

PS: I forgot to subscribe to this topic and was not aware that there were a lot of interesting posts after my last one! Thanks Sebas for the notification too ;)

Hi,

I am new to the N800 and Linux. I am tring to implement bootmenu.

When I do "# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0" I get an error "Disk is currently in use - repartitioning is a bad idea. etc.

# cd /dev
/dev # ls
mmcblk0
mmcblk0p1
mmcblk1
mmcblk1p1

I had files on the external and a swap on the internal. All files and swap have been removed.

When I exit root and exit xterm and go into file manager, I notice the the removable(external) card is greyed out.

All help will be appreciated.

Joe O

Originally Posted by joeo View Post
When I do "# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0" I get an error "Disk is currently in use - repartitioning is a bad idea. etc.
This means that mmc is busy. Maybe even Swap file is enabled.

First of all go to the Control Panel > Memory > Virtual > Virtual Memory and disable that option. After that, you may reboot the system in order to make sure virtual memory's already been disabled.

After reboot, you may safely unmount the vfat partition (always as root):
# umount /media/mmc1/

Then you may run again sfdisk, and probably without any problem.

Hi Sebastian,

The virtual memory was off. I rebooted.

$ sudo gainroot
# umount /media/mmc1
# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy

The disk is currently in use - etc.

Same result as before.
This May be silly but I have an N800. mmc1 points to the removable (external card) and mmc2 points to the Internal card. If I understand?? this mmcblk0 is the Internal card? Should I be doing a "# umount /media/mmc2"? I am new and old (in yrs) so I this is dumb, please excuse me.

Joe O

Last edited by joeo; 2007-02-19 at 00:52.

The virtual memory was off. I rebooted.
$ sudo gainroot
# umount /media/mmc1
# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
Hmm, strange... There's something running on that mmc. Try to unmount everything related with the mmc. That is:

# umount /media/mmc1
# umount /media/mmc2

# umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
# umount /dev/mmcblk0

Maybe Fanoush could help us a bit if he reads this post...

Why is /dev/mmcblk0 still busy?

HI Sebastian,

This May be silly but I have an N800. mmc1 points to the removable (external card) and mmc2 points to the Internal card. If I understand?? this mmcblk0 is the Internal card? Should I be doing a "# umount /media/mmc2"? I am new and old (in yrs) so I this is dumb, please excuse me. I don't understand how other people with N800 follow these instructions and it works? I will try "# umount /media/mmc2". I was creating this reply as you were replying

Joe O

This May be silly but I have an N800. mmc1 points to the removable (external card) and mmc2 points to the Internal card. If I understand?? this mmcblk0 is the Internal card? Should I be doing a "# umount /media/mmc2"?
I haven't used N800. But /dev/mmcblk0 is not the flash memory. The internal memory is at /dev/mtdblock4, at least in the 770.

You should unmount /media/mmc2 as well, since this may be a partition of /dev/mmcblk0.

Remember to distinguish between the real device /dev/mmcblk0 and the mounting point /media/mmc1. The latter is just a directory (could be any other one) where you mount the data file system stored at /dev/mmcblk0.

Hi Sebastion,

# umount /media/mmc2" worked an I was able to partition and format. Have to stop here since company just walked in.

FYI: When I used term "Internal card" I meant the SD card located under the back cover of the N800. The "external/removable is the SD card in the front of the N800.

Thank you very much for your help. I apprteciate it. I will let you know if the rest of the proceedure works.

Joe O

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by sebastian.linux View Post
Ok maxilogan. Type the following and post the result:
# cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
# ls
Hi Sebastian. As I wrote in message 32 of the thread, "under /var/cache/apt/archive/ I have just a file named 'lock' and an empty directory named 'partial'...". In fact these are the results of the "ls" command: ". .. lock partial"