Notices

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Yowsup has supported end-to-end encryption for a while now and WhatsApp have extended support for S40 until the end of 2018. It seems that plenty of people (but not all) have been using Yowsup without getting banned.

Is it worth reviving Yappari?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Of course, and for Sailfish, please

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Yowsup has supported end-to-end encryption for a while now and WhatsApp have extended support for S40 until the end of 2018. It seems that plenty of people (but not all) have been using Yowsup without getting banned.

Read here: https://seaneliasson.github.io/

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I really think you guys should try moving onto free (as in freedom) alternatives instead of pursuing for being compatible with a hostile provider.

I've been using XMPP (client: Conversations) for about a year and I'm more than happy with it and my contact list is steadily growing.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I really think you guys should try moving onto free (as in freedom) alternatives instead of pursuing for being compatible with a hostile provider.

I've been using XMPP (client: Conversations) for about a year and I'm more than happy with it and my contact list is steadily growing.
I really would like to but it doesn't work that way.
All important communication, internal business and study projects, go via whatsapp. Fortunate to have a iPhone 5s for that but I would happily switch back to my n900 for *all* communication.

Hardware keyboard is unbeatable for typing, so mails still come from n900
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
mr_pingu, that's what happens if you give in once. From my experience "I can't" is the best argument for an average Joe to agree on using some indie IM

Of course, when it comes to business it may be sometimes worth to bind the business number to WhatsApp. But the business number!

On my university Facebook Messenger is the most popular means of communication. The solution is... "I don't have a Messenger app, I'll read your message after a couple of days, let's better stick to something else....". But it's just thanks to the fact that my contact network is not built upon Facebook, WhatsApp...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
mr_pingu, that's what happens if you give in once. From my experience "I can't" is the best argument for an average Joe to agree on using some indie IM

Of course, when it comes to business it may be sometimes worth to bind the business number to WhatsApp. But the business number!

On my university Facebook Messenger is the most popular means of communication. The solution is... "I don't have a Messenger app, I'll read your message after a couple of days, let's better stick to something else....". But it's just thanks to the fact that my contact network is not built upon Facebook, WhatsApp...
I'm too late for that....

On my University it's whatsapp, facebook is on it's retour, atleast in my environment. Not that I mind, said goodbye to FB few years ago

Whatsapp is my only communicationprovider that has got me tangled Unfortunately, for my communication with friends too, not only study and business... But it started there :/

What service XMPP service do you use?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

There's this exteremely useful table: https://gultsch.de/compliance_ranked.html
I had good experience with elaon.de, dismail.de and wiuwiu.de. Currently using the third.

I don't really know what the last column is about. :P OMEMO works just fine on wiuwiu.de <-> dismail.de or wiuwiu.de <-> neko.im (a couple of my friends use it)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
What service XMPP service do you use?
If you want a custom domain name you can host your own using prosody, config is really easy (let me know if you want any help).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane

You're using stock Conversations? I saw the table referenced in the previous post. Which of those features does N900 Conversations support?

And/or other xmpp clients for N900 ..

Last edited by sicelo; 2017-08-03 at 06:51.

Tags
whatsapp, yappari