Hi there.
Is there ANY way to hook the Nokia N770 (OS any) tablet via Bluetooth DialUpNetwork to Windows 7?
The purpose is to have a normal internet connection to the N770 using BT (Wlan crashes > too many accesspoints & N-nets)

I can connect the N770 device to my Nokia Phone to obtain internet connection (phone dialup), work great, but how to do this with Windows7 as connectionShare point.

BT device is Asus BT211 and it surely provides ALL the needed profiles on Win7 side...

- N770 finds the Win7 and pairs with it.
- Then what? what to Dial? #99* does not work..

If someone has figured this out, I could use some pointers.

.)
Thank you.

Last edited by realjobe; 2011-06-14 at 08:23.

You can read this..may be it would be helpful for you..

Originally Posted by joy View Post
You can read this..may be it would be helpful for you..
Hi... well.. read what?

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by realjobe View Post
Is there ANY way to hook the Nokia N770 (OS any) tablet via Bluetooth DialUpNetwork to Windows 7?
The purpose is to have a normal internet connection to the N770 using BT (Wlan crashes > too many accesspoints & N-nets)
Does "ANY way" include a 56kbps dial-up connection through a telephone landline? You would need a dial-up account with an ISP, and a 56K modem, which might not be included in a new computer.

[EDIT, Sept.13: This should also work with an ISDN connection. If ISDN is available to consumers in your locality (as in Germany or parts of India, for example), you could connect at 128 kbps instead of less than 56.
FURTHER EDIT, Oct.14: If you use ISDN, you will have to go into the "Advanced" Connectivity Settings on the Nokia 770. Under the "Call speed" tab, the default "Modem type" is "Analogue". You will have to change that to "ISDN v.110" or "ISDN v.120", according to the type of ISDN modem you are using. You will probably also have to change the "Call type" and the "Maximum data speed".]

It works on Windows XP. I don't see why it wouldn't work on Windows 7, so long as you have the right drivers installed. The Local Services of your (Windows) BT Configuration must include Dial-up Networking. If that is not included in Windows 7 by default, you might have to use an installation disc.

The N770 will accept the Windows computer as your "Selected Phone" (in the N770's Control Panel). You can use the Connection Wizard and Connectivity Settings to configure a "Data call" connection to your ISP. When the Wizard asks for the mobile provider, answer "None". I think I chose GSM/UMTS for the mobile network type, but it probably makes no difference. Use the dial-up number, username and password provided by your ISP.

This does overcome the problem of N-type signals in the neighborhood, if you don't mind the connection speed.

Last edited by scaler; 2011-10-15 at 00:11. Reason: ISDN connection should also work.

ok.. how to dial the network open? What to type i n N770's dialNumber field? *99#?

What to type in N770's dialNumber field? *99#?
Use the dial-up number provided by your ISP (as noted in my previous post). That is, assuming that you have a landline dial-up service (also noted in the previous post). It will usually be an ordinary phone number in your local area.

To obtain a landline dial-up account, google "ISP dial-up Yourtown", where Yourtown is the place where you live.

Last edited by scaler; 2011-10-12 at 21:16.

ok, now We'r talking completly different things...

I want to connect the piece of **** N770 device to my LAN via my server's BT toe. Server has all the BT2.x profiles, like dialupnetworking etc in order to provide LAN IP access to N770. N770 won't connect to WLAN due to ****edUp wlan module where AP count exceed some mystical count and no Wlan's are listed..

So, I can connect the N770 to my Nokia N8 by dialing *99# or so...
the question is how to dial Server's DialUpNetork service to LAN?

Last edited by realjobe; 2011-10-13 at 06:59.

ok, now We'r talking completly different things...
Your original post asked if there was "ANY way" of connecting your 770 to the internet via a Bluetooth connection to your Windows computer. Now it turns out that you don't mean ANY way, and it is not clear what you do in fact want.

Maybe it's time to look at the basics of what is meant by "Dial-up Networking" (or "DUN") and "Bluetooth DUN".

DUN is a way of connecting computers through telephone lines. Unlike DSL (which is connected all the time), a dial-up connection has to be dialled up, just as you have to dial up a connection between phones when you make a voice call. Each of the connected computers needs a dial-up modem to interface with its phone line.

Your Nokia N8 contains a modem that interfaces with your mobile phone line, and your mobile provider operates an ISP as well as a phone service. When your N8's modem dials *99#, your mobile provider's exchange connects your line to the internet gateway that the same provider operates. Most mobile providers in the world use that code *99# for connecting to their own internet gateways. However, other than when you use your mobile provider as an ISP, the *99# code has no particular significance in Dial-up Networking.

Bluetooth DUN is a service that wirelessly connects a computer to a dial-up modem. The modem must be contained in or connected to a device with which the computer is paired for BT. For example, you have paired your 770 and your N8 so that your 770 can connect with the N8's modem and instruct it to dial *99#.

If you open the Bluetooth Configuration of your Windows computer, you will find tabs called "Local Services" and "Client Applications". Each of those two tabs lists a service called "Dial-up Networking".

The "Client Applications" DUN enables your Windows computer to access the internet via a paired BT device containing a dial-up modem (for example, your Nokia N8).

The "Local Services" DUN enables a paired device (such as the Nokia 770) to access the internet through a dial-up modem contained in (or connected to) your Windows computer.

Now, which of those services do you want to use, and what phone line do you plan to use for the connection?

Last edited by scaler; 2011-10-14 at 15:58.

I want to connect the 770 device to my LAN.
Sorry if that last post was a bit harsh. I got p'd off when you asked questions and didn't seem to bother reading the answers - and didn't even read what it says on your Windows screen when you move your mouse over the names of services in the Bluetooth Configuration.

Here are the results of some googling and tests.

Yes, you can connect Nokia 770 to your LAN via bluetooth, and get high-speed internet without wifi. The BT service you need is not Bluetooth DUN, but Bluetooth PAN. In the Bluetooth Configuration of your Windows computer, it is called "Network Access", and you find it in the "Local Services" tab. You have to create a Windows bridge between the Bluetooth Network and the LAN.

OS2006 and OS2007HE include all the commands you need for connecting to a bluetooth PAN. For OS2008HE you will need the bluez-utils-dist package from the Mulliner Chinook repository. (See post #11 below.)

The details are in this old wiki page: http://maemo.org/community/oldwiki/h...othnetworking/ . For the Windows connection, scroll almost to the end of the page.

Some things involving the 770 are written out of order in the wiki, and different contributors have added contradictory instructions. (One says that you have to enable OBEX before the first time you use PAN. Another says that OBEX doesn't work and you have to enable DUN. In fact, you don't have to enable either of them. I'll come to that later in this post.) After setting up the BT Network and the bridge on your Windows computer, this is what you have to do on the 770 (all commands have to be run as root).

You only have to do this once:
Code:
gconftool-2 -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY
(That is all one line, even if it looks like two.)

Next you have to do this, and repeat after every reboot:
Code:
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/bnep.ko
Pair your 770 and your Windows computer. In OS2006, you have to search for a "phone". Click the bubble on your Windows screen to allow pairing, and enter the code from the 770. Ignore any "authorization" bubbles that ask you to authorize Headset service or Dial-up Networking. (Authorization for Network Access will come later. That is what you need.) Don't get into the connection wizard. The devices will complete the pairing without any of these things.

(When the 770 asks whether you want to use this "phone" for internet access, it means dial-up access, which you apparently don't want. You are better to answer "No".)

Devices sometimes lose their pairing, so you might have to repeat it once in a while. The Windows computer will tell you when you need to repeat the pairing, after an attempted connection has failed.

After connecting, you can uncheck the box that makes your Windows computer discoverable, but it seems that YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE WINDOWS COMPUTER DISCOVERABLE BEFORE YOU RECONNECT.

When you want to make a connection:

Tap on the connection icon, and select DEFAULT. (You set this up earlier by the gconftool-2 command.)

Code, as root:
Code:
pand -Q10
Now is the time you have to look for the authorization bubble on the Windows computer. It takes a while to appear, maybe about 15 seconds. It will definitely mention "Network Access". If your 770 returns an error message about a protocol not supported, that means you forgot to run the insmod command after the last reboot.

You can check the connection with this command, which should display the BT address of your Windows computer:
Code:
pand -l
(That's a letter l, not a number 1.)

Next:
Code:
udhcpc -i bnep0
This will take a little while, and then will return some output about nameservers.

If you want to check that everything is ready, you can run:
Code:
ifconfig bnep0
That's it. You can use browser,etc.

Last edited by scaler; 2013-08-28 at 23:30. Reason: 1. Also possible with OS2008HE 2. Devices have to be discoverable for reconnection.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
a lot of text to read. Thank you for your effort!
I'll test these suggestions.

again, thanx.