Notices

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
It's Microsoft who can do the job, but no, Microsoft will NEVER EVER do it since Maemo is Linux and every inch of Microsoft hates Linux.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I rather have Yahoo Messenger or AIM.
Gmail and GoogleTalk for me...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Telepathy allows various protocols to be used and added to the N900's messaging. Telepathy-haze allows the use of Pidgin protocol plugins allowing MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo and others. There are also other plugins available such as telepathy-butterfly, which is an alternative MSN implementation.

These plugins are already available for the N900 and working (though still in a beta state). Yes, they are already integrated, but have to be installed separately. Most major IM platforms will be supported.

The N900 is an always on machine. Therefore these IM protocols are also going to be always on unless you decide otherwise.

Hope this helps.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
They are always-on.

BTW, I created MSN account and tried to log-in with it from the device with telepathy-haze/account-plugin-haze installed. It logged in fine.

Last edited by abbra; 2009-10-04 at 19:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
They are always-on.

BTW, I created MSN account and tried to log-in with it from the device with telepathy-haze/account-plugin-haze installed. It logged in fine.
I was talking to another member, and the member told me that they got that disconnect every 1 hour or so. Where it wouldn't show up as disconnected, but rather just lose connection and would have to go back into communication and set the status as available again. Can you confirm this? or is that problem fixed

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
It really depends on what build is in use, things get improved every day before release. In my case I did not experience disconnects.

The Following User Says Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
It really depends on what build is in use, things get improved every day before release. In my case I did not experience disconnects.
Wonderful to hear

The problem I see is neither telepathy-haze nor telepathy-buttefly implement MSNP16, which means you can't be connected on two computers at the same time on the same account. Fortunately, Jabber supports this feature since ever.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Does telepathy-butterfly or haze support MSN things like avatars, nudge, video, multiple logins, etc.?

I suppose I can wait to see for myself, but I can see confusing stuff happen if I have the phone logging in and out, while my home machine keeps logged in, so I will be missing messages that my friends think I have received.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
Does telepathy-butterfly or haze support MSN things like avatars, nudge, video, multiple logins, etc.?

I suppose I can wait to see for myself, but I can see confusing stuff happen if I have the phone logging in and out, while my home machine keeps logged in, so I will be missing messages that my friends think I have received.
Both support avatars. More recent versions of butterfly support videochat, but those aren't working on the N900 yet. They are interested in adding the needed support to make it happen... at least last I talked to Collabora. Neither support multiple logins. Is it really that hard to just sign out or just let the other client get disconnected?

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo