Notices

Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
I am confused. Do i need Pidgin + Haze + butterfly? Or just one of them? Or two of them?
You don't need Pidgin.

Pidgin is a seperate instant messenger client (which is great but it's not integrated). The plugins (haze, butterfly, etc..) come from the Pidign project but can also be used in telepathy (the n900's default IM system).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
@rlinfati, can you confirm if the video calls work?

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Briarwood, Queens
Originally Posted by nirave View Post
Would certainly love the links/info mate.

PM me please :-)
I tried, it said i don't have enough privileges. send me a pm and ill answer that way.

Ok let me see if I've got this right...

To get the MSN working & integrated with the UI... You need telepathy-butterfly-plugin.

This is currently in Extras-testing & is not advised for new Maemo users to install.

Am I right?

Ok let me see if I've got this right...

To get the MSN working & integrated with the UI... You need telepathy-butterfly-plugin.

This is currently in Extras-testing & is not advised for new Maemo users to install.

Am I right?
You got it. But if you are willing to be adventurous. This is the Wiki page on Extras Testing. It has a section on how to enable the Extras Testing catalog. Please read is before you act upon it.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing

And as someone suggested. You can could enable the repo, install the plugin and then disable the repo (Catalog). Just lookin up the package name, (hang on while I get my N900). It's called... 'account-plugin-butterly'

Last edited by sljonson; 2009-11-29 at 03:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sljonson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
You got it. But if you are willing to be adventurous. This is the Wiki page on Extras Testing. It has a section on how to enable the Extras Testing catalog. Please read is before you act upon it.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing

And as someone suggested. You can could enable the repo, install the plugin and then disable the repo (Catalog). Just lookin up the package name, (hang on while I get my N900). It's called... 'account-plugin-butterly'
For a noob... How risky is enabling Extras-testing?

(I'm a noob to Maemo but an expert/poweruser of Symbian, WinMo & Blackberry OS)

Would your advice be take a risk or leave it? (just advice... no comeback on you if I balls it up!)

Enabling and leaving it on? Risky

Enabling it, grabbing that one file, and disabling it? Not that Risky (depending on the size of the file though telepathy-butterfly and telepathy-haze would be fine)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Enabling and leaving it on? Risky

Enabling it, grabbing that one file, and disabling it? Not that Risky (depending on the size of the file though telepathy-butterfly and telepathy-haze would be fine)
Thanks yeah I'm only likely to get telepathy-butterfly plugin (as it seems that telepathy-haze is not needed for msn to interact with UI?)

Everyone's help has been GREAT! Pat yourselves on the back (I've done the patting by hitting thanks lol)

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Briarwood, Queens
Thanks yeah I'm only likely to get telepathy-butterfly plugin (as it seems that telepathy-haze is not needed for msn to interact with UI?)

Everyone's help has been GREAT! Pat yourselves on the back (I've done the patting by hitting thanks lol)
Just download aMSN

For a noob... How risky is enabling Extras-testing?

(I'm a noob to Maemo but an expert/poweruser of Symbian, WinMo & Blackberry OS)

Would your advice be take a risk or leave it? (just advice... no comeback on you if I balls it up!)
Setup Extras testing, install a few packages and then disable Extras Testing. Probably if immediate damage, slight. But then the software is promoted to Extras, you might have some problems. I don't know how the Debian software installation software actually it's files.

You might have to uninstall the older versions before you can cleanly installed the promoted versions. (EDIT: In fact that would be my advice. Uninstall the old versions first. Don't let the Appllication Manager install the updates when the become available.) At worse, some minor command line cleanup as root might be required (which can be dangerous all on it's own).

Last edited by sljonson; 2009-11-29 at 04:54.

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo