Notices

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
EDIT: with the awesome help of Blaizzen and Etuoyo Ive got most of my homescreen to disappear.

My main goal is to have as little as possible on my homescreens.

Basic idea is to be able to press certain points on the wallpaper image to launch different applications.

Etuoyo supplied txtfiles to create qbw that launch microB, conversations, contacts, settings and phone.

What I now need help for are the following:

- fMMS
- X-term
- File Manager
- Opera
- Application Manager
- MediaBox
- Media Launcher
- Photos

Also: how can I remove the clock, remove the menu key at the top left of the screen (I want it visible only when Ive recieved a text/IM message or phonecall or mms, invisible at all other times)?

Id love to be able to have only the little blob of info that shows connection strength for 2g/2.5g/3g/3.5g, battery, online/offline status, and connections. If possible, Id love even more to have them hidden as well, but show up on press, like the status menu that drops down when pressing that area normally.

Does this make sense =P ?

Anyways, Id appreciate any and all help wih this project.

The original post:
hey, I was thinking that Id love to be able to just press somewhere on my wallpaper and launch applications like conversations, phone, phonebook, file manager, mms, etc.

To do this the only idea Ive got is to get invisible icons for these apps, (probably only doable through qbw?).

Any idea how to get this up and running? I dont have a computer at hand, just the n900, so any and all help would be awesome!

To reiterate: I dont want any visible icons, widgets, etc on my desktop, but just pressing a specific point on screen would launch the application of my choice.

Hilfe, help, hjelp, and so forth =P

Last edited by slai; 2010-12-19 at 22:39.

Originally Posted by slai View Post
hey, I was thinking that Id love to be able to just press somewhere on my wallpaper and launch applications like conversations, phone, phonebook, file manager, mms, etc.

To do this the only idea Ive got is to get invisible icons for these apps, (probably only doable through qbw?).

Any idea how to get this up and running? I dont have a computer at hand, just the n900, so any and all help would be awesome!

To reiterate: I dont want any visible icons, widgets, etc on my desktop, but just pressing a specific point on screen would launch the application of my choice.

Hilfe, help, hjelp, and so forth =P
hi....do you know how to deinstall the kernel power 42

hi....can you plz help me with deinstallation of kernel power42...if u know

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mnk17 View Post
hi....can you plz help me with deinstallation of kernel power42...if u know
Please do not hijack a thread with a different question. Also, check the wiki (http://wiki.maemo.org/Kernel_Power#Deinstallation) or do a search on the forum. Many people have asked the same question.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Hi... don't spam multiple threads with repeats of the same question. (Power kernel installs an icon on your application menu that's called "Deinstall power kernel" or something like that. If you don't have that, then install rootsh, open x-term, become root, and become and type... you know what, I'm tired, and this isn't even on-topic. Do a search.

slai: Yeah, I think QBW is the best way to do it. Perhaps you can modify the .desktop files of the apps to have no icon, or a purely transparent one? That saves you the trouble of figuring out QBW... However, if you can come to talk.maemo.org from just your N900, it should be easy to browse the wiki and forum for instructions on setting up QB widgets.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
I would suggest QBW (Queen Beecon Widget) as the easier and more flexible one one if you can spare some time to figure out the options. It has advantages like configuring the widget size, etc
Running apps/scripts are easy using QBW, but I havent yet figured out a way to open the phone/messaging/email/etc using QBW.

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
slai: Yeah, I think QBW is the best way to do it. Perhaps you can modify the .desktop files of the apps to have no icon, or a purely transparent one? That saves you the trouble of figuring out QBW... However, if you can come to talk.maemo.org from just your N900, it should be easy to browse the wiki and forum for instructions on setting up QB widgets.
I can say a transparent icon thing works, however you'll need to adjust the theme and remove that button look so its truly transparent. I used the theme customizer to remove the back.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
I would suggest QBW (Queen Beecon Widget) as the easier and more flexible one one if you can spare some time to figure out the options. It has advantages like configuring the widget size, etc
Running apps/scripts are easy using QBW, but I havent yet figured out a way to open the phone/messaging/email/etc using QBW.
Here are my beecons for a few apps. To use just create a new beecon, go to advanced, select import file to buffer and then import buffer to beecon, select save and you have a beecon to that application. Great thing is you can have an app launcher on each desktop (e.g I have phone, email, conversations, web, settings, contacts launchers and a direct dial to wife's mobile on each of my desktops). Also have one desktop to use in the car with massive sized beecons.

You would need to put your own png files with the relevant name in your queen beecon picture directory.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calendar.txt (1.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt Conboy.txt (1.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: txt Contacts.txt (1.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: txt Conversations.txt (1.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: txt Email.txt (1.8 KB, 101 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
And some more application beecons.

If you want transparent shortcuts to launch these apps you just need to put a transparent file in your beecon picture directory and then in command title settings change the name of the png file to the name of that transparent file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Web.txt (1.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: txt Settings.txt (1.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: txt Phone.txt (1.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: txt Filebox.txt (1.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: txt Faster Application Manager.txt (1.8 KB, 115 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Oh that seems reasonable, thanks for the help Etuoyo!

How can I create transparent icons on my N900 (seeing as how I dont have a computer to create them)?