Hi, I'm considering getting a N810 as a PMP/Internet appliance. Now I understand that the N810 only physically supports miniSD and smaller cards. (i.e. not regular SD) This seems odd to me since the N800 not only supports SD, but TWO SD, allowing (currently) up to 32GB(!) of memory. Obviously, there is a big difference between 32GB and 8GB + 2GB built-in. Now I understand I could just carry around another 3 cards to make up for the difference, but I would be afraid of losing them due to their rather small size (and currently expensive replacement cost).

Anyway, apparently the 8GB microSDHC cards have just been released within the last month or so. Now I am curious if anybody has any ideas or predictions for how long (if ever) will it be until there are 16GB micro/miniSDHC cards available?

Another question related to that, of course, is will they actually WORK with the N810? From what I've read, the N810 is said to only support 8GB, but I am unable to determine whether this means only 8GB because that's the biggest chip currently available, 8GB because it's all the hardware actually supports, or 8GB because that's the biggest the software supports (but could presumable be updated to support more, when more is available).

Thanks any help.

Update 2008-09-24: The 16GB MicroSDHC cards are now available.

Last edited by CyberCat; 2008-09-24 at 16:29.

12 and 16 GB MicroSDHC cards have already been announced by Sandisk at CES this week. The 16 GB MicroSDHC cards will be here by this summer and with the miniSD adapter, they'll work perfectly with the N810, with the full SD adapter they'll work perfectly on the N800. 16 GB Full SD cards are already available and confirmed to be working fine in N800s. So... by this summer, our N810s can be rocking 18 GBs! (2 GB internal + 16 GB MicroSDHC)

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Warwickshire, UK
Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
Now we'll just have to see how long it is until they release a 32GB version!
Erm not long..... http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01...nic_32gb_sdhc/

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
I can't believe how quicky 16gb cards have become so cheap.

In UK £44.14 + Delivery
http://www.ginger6.com/peak-16gb-sec...l-p-29715.html

Edit
Sorry my bad, the thread is for micro/mini sd and my post relates to full size sd. I'm an N800 owner, make allowances.

Last edited by Rebski; 2008-01-07 at 22:39.

Moore's Law at work my friends, and in particular, it's actually Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns

It all gets EXPONENTIALLY better and cheaper with time...

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Warwickshire, UK
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Edit
Sorry my bad, the thread is for micro/mini sd and my post relates to full size sd. I'm an N800 owner, make allowances.
Ooops, yes soz, me too.... that will teach me for 'scan' reading everything.....

Originally Posted by CyberCat View Post
Now I understand I could just carry around another 3 [micro/mini] cards to make up for the difference, but I would be afraid of losing them due to their rather small size [..]
This is actully a point that has bothered me with this transition to ever smaller cards. I have loads of (full-size) SD/MMC cards around, and I figure this is actually the smallest size cards that I can manage to (just barely) keep track of without losing them. I've looked at those icky micro SD cards and the only thing I can think of is "buy one of those and lose it the moment it's out of the device". They are just too small!

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
i dont think i would ever need over 32 gigs on my 810... im all for bigger and better , but i dont need that many damn movies in my pocket lol.... now if ever there was an a/v out option on future tablets , then were talking a different ballgame lol

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
i dont think i would ever need over 32 gigs on my 810... im all for bigger and better , but i dont need that many damn movies in my pocket lol.... now if ever there was an a/v out option on future tablets , then were talking a different ballgame lol
Shuddup!! I want all of my movies in my pocket. And my TV shows! And my music! And my photos! And I want to be able to play them in 800x480! Without stuttering! And I want one of them new batteries that last for 60 hours!

Dangdoggit...