Trash it and buy an iPod Touch!!!

I'm tired of this weird platform. Tired of waiting for a solution from Nokia. The only system stable for me is the latest OS2007 release. OS2008 is so buggy for my device (memory card corruption, machine hangs, etc.) and I'm so tired of this poor support, that I finally, after two years of hope, give up.

The other day I purchased an iPod Touch, and now I have a true internet tablet machine. I can browse in a way never imagined in my n800. I can really use mail. I can really listen to music and whatch tv shows, films or whatever I want. I finally have a full featured and reliable PIM. And If I want install thousands (yes, thousands) of third party apps, I only need one minute of jailbreak (or I can wait for the oficially supported version 2.0 of system).

Really, as a faithful n800 ex-user, this is the real thing. And yes, it is really a device that you can wear with you (1/4 or less weight than my n800).

And for the screen, is a device so cleverly designed that you never, never, will miss the only thing that made my n800 so gorgeus, the 800x480 screen. You can zoom so naturally that in only 10 minutes of use you realize how powerful is, at last, a true pocket internet device with a full featured browser.

Nokia, listen: stop making beta testing and spend some time and money in a decent operating system.

Good bye and thanks for this two years of support and hope.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
LOL
That's a great rant. I wish you luck on whatever it is you continue to do
And thanks for the L-O-L

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It's amazing that you got two years of help and support for your N800 since it isn't two years old.

And that you advise all of us to trash our N800s to improve our experience with it even if we don't have the memory card corruption and machine hangs that you report with OS2008. (Very few of us have that experience, so you must be very accomplished.)

I see that you have made a total of 22 posts here, not many for two years.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I think there should be a script that automatically deletes posts mentioning n8xx and ipod touch / iphone less than 100 characters apart...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to zeez For This Useful Post:
See, I'd like to burn my N800 and replace it with an iPod Touch... but until Apple release a Touch that has Bluetooth and can play OGG files I'm not that interested.

It also doesn't run any form of mapping software so I'd get lost when driving too.

So, thinking about it... I'd rather just sell my N800 to my cousin, and upgrade to an N810 (since the only thing that winds me up about my N800 is the awful onscreen keyboard aand ittss habbit of reppeatting keeepresses).

Of course, you should have bought an iPhone, but anyway...

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
<sarcasm>
I must be doing something wrong. I don't have system instability, my memory cards have never corrupted, I use my n800 (with modest) for 90% of my email, and I don't want to have to zoom to view a web page.

Will someone please help me, so that I can have the same problems as the OP? Without help I may have to settle for using a fantastic platform with no real problems.
</sarcasm>

FYI, I work with someone who's sold his jesus-phone and got an n810, and is incredibly happy with the choice

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
I have an iPhone and an N800.

The N800's party trick is that it loads flash and connects via VPN. The swappable memory card expansion is nice too. Its another tool for me, but yeah in most other aspects Apple has schooled Nokia.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
that's true. Apple certainly takes the lead in overpricing and keeping development nearly closed.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
As a HUGE NIT fan (come on, you all know me), I can understand this person's grief. The NIT isn't for everyone (yet), and the iPod Touch fulfills the "consumer" side of the internet tablet industry. I agree that Nokia should move a little more towards the direction of pleasing the average consumer, but... To each his own, right?

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
I laughed when I read the comments from Apple zealots on the latest firmware upgrade which finally enables "Saving images from the web browser..." you had a slew of people saying "wow! This gets better and better!" How innovative - they can finally save images like every other mobile browser has been doing since time began!

The iPhone is nice, but it's not _that_ nice! No Flash or Java (not even the hint of a possibility for either), and until recently - not even the ability to save images to local storage!

The iPhone can't multitask, probably because it's been disabled; probably because of hardware limits. You basically can't browse or email while listening to MP3s - even my Sony Ericsson lets me do that.

The 8GB represents pitiful storage that can't be upgraded - probably why they phased it out. Even at 16GB you don't have the choice to upgrade it.

The battery can't even be replaced should it inevitably lose its charge - but then it's one way of forcing you to an upgrade path; clever Apple!

Any application worth it's weight in salt will cost yet more money to download unless you invalidate your warranty by jailbraking it (and hoping for the best - that Apple won't force you to upgrade your firmware.) Additionally - the terms and conditions of Apple's SDK mean that Open Source GNU licensing is NOT compatible with the iPhone - which means you will never see GNU apps on the iPhone on any official basis.

The SDK is deliberate crippleware and forces programmers to think in limited terms. Apple on the other hand aren't limited by their SDK for obvious reasons so expect Apple programs (and most likely - selected BIG software houses) to have access to iPhone internals nobody else has access to. That's not fair.

Firmware upgrades from Apple cost money to obtain!

Think you can watch a video - well - convert it first; it's not as easy as dragging and dropping a DivX! With the framerate limits on the N810 I've been able to download videos and watch them without any conversion [albeit SOME do slow down in very few high action areas!]

The camera resolution and optics are pitiful. Tried saving a video from the camera? Sorry - no can do ... not without some hacking. The reason why you can't browse the internet while talking is because the iPhone at the only supports EDGE at the moment - 3G IS the reason why other phones can do this so 3G support IS a huge issue for a device that browses the internet!!

Oh - don't use it too much on the go either - not without a charger or the battery will run down and you'll lose your phone. Integration is nice - just hope you don't lose power the ONE time you really need a phone!

iPhone's bluetooth stack is TERRIBLE - it doesn't even have an A2DP stereo bluetooth profile - afaik not even one you can hack onto the system! So much for the "iPod" heritage it came from.

Tried emailing more than 1 photo at a time as an attachment? Sorry - you can't! Not yet anyway - no doubts it'll be enabled in a costly firmware upgrade later on and be touted as "the next big thing!"

The N95 also features a 3D GPU that's PowerVR based [same as on our N800's/N810's except ours aren't enabled (yet?)] - so let's not kid ourselves that the iPhone is the only device out there with a 3D processor; top it all off you can plug the N95 into your TV and display whatever you want there.

It IS the only device with a multitouch interface - and that's about it! And the iPhone interface is THE best thing going for it. There's nothing that compares. THAT is what you pay for. But seriously - I wish people would quit with saying it's the best thing since sliced bread. On a hardware level it's lame and has no hope for competing with open source solutions that are expandable - and people need to observe and know that.

Me - I use a Skypephone with my Nokia N810 - it's not the very best but it's good enough! The internet works FOR me NOT against me. I don't expect N810 specific websites (whereas iPod users expect the internet to change and work FOR them much like Microsoft do with Internet Exploder!)

I wish we can have an automated iphone delete postbot.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yabbas For This Useful Post: