I ordered the S4 QI-receiver, and installed it to TOH quite easily. For first day, it worked like a charm with my Nokia DT-900 and CR-200 chargers. After that, they started connecting and disconnecting, and not charging.

I then proceeded to change the double-sided tape I used, as the first one was pretty thick, and changed it to a smaller one. Now I have two problems;

1) I need to put something on top of my charger, for it to discover and connect to the receiver.

2) Still same disconnect problem.

Problem 1 was solved easily on DT-900 by using the fugly Fat Boy pillow. Apparently the charger and receiver don't connect to each other if there's not enough air between them.

Problem 2 I'm still working on. I checked with CSD Tool that when my charger connects to the receiver, it immediately says the battery's full. Which it isn't. And then disconnects. It only does the disconnecting when I have my TOH on my Jolla. When the TOH is separate, the charger doesn't disconnect.

The fact that it worked earlier, and that TOH works on it's own, I've come to conclusion it must be on the software side of Jolla, and I am sure, that the pins are not shorting.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Furiosity View Post
I ordered the S4 QI-receiver, and installed it to TOH quite easily. For first day, it worked like a charm with my Nokia DT-900 and CR-200 chargers. After that, they started connecting and disconnecting, and not charging.

I then proceeded to change the double-sided tape I used, as the first one was pretty thick, and changed it to a smaller one. Now I have two problems;

1) I need to put something on top of my charger, for it to discover and connect to the receiver.

2) Still same disconnect problem.

Problem 1 was solved easily on DT-900 by using the fugly Fat Boy pillow. Apparently the charger and receiver don't connect to each other if there's not enough air between them.

Problem 2 I'm still working on. I checked with CSD Tool that when my charger connects to the receiver, it immediately says the battery's full. Which it isn't. And then disconnects. It only does the disconnecting when I have my TOH on my Jolla. When the TOH is separate, the charger doesn't disconnect.

The fact that it worked earlier, and that TOH works on it's own, I've come to conclusion it must be on the software side of Jolla, and I am sure, that the pins are not shorting.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?
Fatboy charger has some own charging logic inside of its hardware and thats the cause for the problems. As Jolla charging pin's have its own overcharge protection logic which will stop charging when battery is full.

If there is 2 hardware logic's then they will messup and compete with each other. So I dont recomend using Fatboy as you will never get it working well. I recomend you to order some dummy general QI charger that doesnt have any logic to mess up the internal overcharge protection that charging pins have builtin.

At least for me all my troudbles went away when I ditched Nokia chargers to trashbin after receiving cheap generic QI charger
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2014-01-06 at 18:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
So, I just want to add some more feedback.

First of all, the placement may be an issue.
I experimented a bit with the Qi setup that I showed in my last post and this setup also seems to be sensitive with respect to the placement.
I observed the charging current with the csd tool and it seemed that the current depends on how the phone was placed on the sender pad.
However, I am not sure if my observations are truly exact and if I really observed the true cause-effect relation.

The touchstone setup is also pretty sensitive with respect to the placement.
In this setup the placement problem, however, is to a large degree solved by the magnetic locking mechanism that pulls the receiver in place.
So, take care how you place the four small metal discs around the receiver when experimenting with the touchstone.
From my experience, it's best to just use the original "plastic foil" from inside the cover as this features four "dents", one for each of the discs.

Another observation I just made:
I gave the touchstone another try and used a more powerful power supply this time (1.5 A instead of 1.0 A).
Now, I could observe charging currents up to 780 mA with the touchstone.
An interesting point, though, is that the charging current seems to decrease over time.
At first, I could observe about 700 mA which went down to 600 mA and now reached about 450 mA.

Another observation, the thermal issue I observed with the Qi setup seems not to show up with the touchstone variant.

Last edited by Wonko; 2014-01-06 at 20:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I've just got my touchstone and this info will be quite helpful

Touchstone setup takes about 10 mins along with the time needed for detaching the coil and electronics from the Palm cover. Used a short adhesive copper band for connections.

Getting 500-600mA with 1A charger.

Photos:

Afterwards I soldered both ends of the connections to avoid them peeling off (not to the Jolla pins of course, just made two drops on that side).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Touchstone setup takes about 10 mins along with the time needed for detaching the coil and electronics from the Palm cover. Used a short adhesive copper band for connections.

Getting 500-600mA with 1A charger.

Photos:
http://bundyo.org/jolla/charger/IMG_20140106_232050.jpg
http://bundyo.org/jolla/charger/IMG_20140106_232720.jpg

Afterwards I soldered both ends of the connections to avoid them peeling off (not to the Jolla pins of course, just made two drops on that side).
I really like your solution! How are your experiences? Thinking of trying the same. I guess you used the electronics of a Palm Pré, right? Thanks for the pictures & the idea

Last edited by caprico; 2014-01-09 at 13:27.

Originally Posted by caprico View Post
I really like your solution! How are your experiences? Thinking of trying the same. I guess you used the electronics of a Palm Pré, right? Thanks for the pictures & the idea
Not mine, Wonko did the same several pages before

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=26

Additionally - yes, as he did, I purchased a touchstone charger, a Palm charging coil back cover and some copper adhesive tape from Amazon. I peeled off the coil with a sharp screwdriver, added some adhesive tape (not copper) and placed it on the back of device (I used the same orientation as in the Palm cover as the manual showed it as the correct position for some reason, Wonko chose to rotate it). Then I used the copper tape to make the connections (the bottom coil pin is +). Since they don't stick well enough, I finally soldered them to the coil pins and made two drops up there where the Jolla pins are. The hardest part was to get the pins and the drops against each other - better leave the drops a bit to the outside so that the pins can't get them closer to each other. That was all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
It generally seems to work (despite of the relatively high drop of voltage from idle to charging).
However, the touchstone kit doesn't seem to be optimal for this.
Wonko stated that touchstone kit is not optimal for charging (despite looking good), therefore, what kit to choose to have a optimal charging result?

Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
Wonko stated that touchstone kit is not optimal for charging (despite looking good), therefore, what kit to choose to have a optimal charging result?
Well, I said this because of the relatively high drop in voltage when comparing idle vs. charging.
Right now, it actually seems like that the touchstone kit does a pretty good job.
I switched from the Qi setup to a touchstone setup some time ago (see my earlier posts) and, so far, it performs very well.
The touchstone also does not seem to have the charge/disconnect/charge cycle issue when the battery is full.

Besides, I think that the touchstone setup with the "floating look" with phone attached looks much cooler than just putting the phone flat on a Qi pad.
Also, I think that my "modded" touchstone sender (See earlier posts for pics.) looks pretty good as compared to a relatively big Qi charging pad.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Slightly offtopic question:
What is the point in this wireless. I really miss the benefit since this technology comes up some years ago.
Isn't this only marketing or a fun gadget?

For jolla early days this is surely some cool stuff to easily test TOH capabilities.