Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I Care cause it is used in Linux desktop and n9 and some proffesional applications.

and maybe microsoft also care about Qt in a bad way......
I care too, Happy kde user and qt apps developer here. Hope Nokia don't kill it too.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Same here. KDE is awesome and I look forward to see Plasma Active being available on more devices (hopefully the HP Touchpad, through Mer) as Qt rocks. I try to use mostly GTK apps on my N900 though. Purity is purity

Is it important that Nokia sells Trolltech? Can't anyone join in, as Qt is under open governance already?

Last edited by nodevel; 2012-06-14 at 21:24.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Same here. KDE rocks and I look forward to see Plasma Active being available on more devices (hopefully the HP Touchpad, through Mer) as Qt rocks. I try to use mostly GTK apps on my N900 though. Purity is purity

Is it important that Nokia sells Trolltech? Can't anyone join in, as Qt is under open governance already?

Read here the answer:
http://qt-project.org/
http://qt-project.org/wiki/The_Qt_Governance_Model

Its becoming clearer..

Elop was not sent to Nokia to save Nokia, he was sent to Nokia to save the US mobile phone industry.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I dont see any other reason. Two years ago Nokia would not have considered, not even for a moment, selling their patents. Now that Elop has juiced them dry, they are almost at the point where they will have to give them away. Think how much money microsoft can make from Nokia's patent portfolio, they wont even need to buy Nokia and all its dead weight.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
What now of Quim?
Quim Gil ‏@quimgil Yesterday I was working on a great Qt Contributors Summit and Qt 5 launch, and this is what I'm working on today as well. More in Berlin.
https://twitter.com/quimgil/status/213319705908363264

^

Sure, Qt will live on somehow.

Eero Penttinen ‏@eeropenttinen
@gizmodude the faith of Qt is open. Not relevant for Nokia anymore in long term. Hope some company will take over Qt.

After all, we got all that Nokia could deliver.
They were good at designing hardware, but as
the industry revenue making shifted towards
software, they were struggling.
From 2007 until 2010 they didn't have any financial
or whatever restrictions to develop a next generation OS beyond Symbian, and options like Maemo were already in place
but they just failed to execute that properly.

Then in late 2010 the US based investors noticed this weak
moment of Nokia and arranged behind the curtains this deal.
The rest is history.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Sure, Qt will live on somehow.
i think Qt is a problem for Nokia now. It costs money and with the choice for Windows and S40 they probably can't use it themselves in the future.
But because Qt is open it does enable competitors to use it. RIM already stated that it wants to use it, it was used by WebOS, there are (incomplete) ports for iOS and Android and maybe Ubuntu also plans to use it in their mobile phone plans for 2014.

So Nokia may actually try to really kill it as best it can. Since they own Trolltech, they could just decide to stop any business activity it has and fire as much people as they can. That could delay any future development very effectively, even if it is open source.
If they sold it, it wouldn't cost as much, but they would directly help a competitor with their years of investment.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

Second we can hate Elop for stupid decisions in February 2011. But it is NOT only him who ****ed up Nokia.

They should had FIRED every damn ****ing person at the marketing department!
Yes, it's only Elop. He was the one who killed MeeGo, badmouthed Symbian and pronounced its death and decided to focus solely on WP7. Why blame the guys in the marketing dept who had to follow what that MS mole wanted?

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
I mean in the big picture....

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories