Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
^ nobody is flaming him!!! in fact, some comments are surprised with the issues he is facing when others have it in working order. i know the Wazzap debacle has pissed alot of us but it doesnt mean that you go into an article and write such a thing based on one response.
I have to agree with him actually. A lot of "it works for me" comments but no answers leads me to think there are other factors at play that hamper universal successes between users.

If it works, suss out the differences. Otherwise, if somebody has an educated attempt to work with the N9 (or any device) in their environment, then attempt to help them.

This is a community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If it works, suss out the differences. Otherwise, if somebody has an educated attempt to work with the N9 (or any device) in their environment, then attempt to help them.

This is a community.
The biggest issue with Enterprise Wifi is the lack of support for unsigned certs (or Certs from an untrusted CA).

I hate to bring up iOS, especially since I hate it, but it easily supports this was just a verification check to allow the untrusted cert (OS X also supports this better than Windows). This is what makes a device accessible. Not the technical feature sets, but the ease of use. There's an obvious possible security issue, but if any Enterprise is truly concerned about security they would have further end-to-end encryption to whatever data is being transferred between client/server, even if they are between seemingly internal networks.

The VPN thing, whatever, that's vendor specific. You can argue IPSEC all the live long day, but a lot of companies have moved to web-based SSL VPNs that require application installs (so platform specific), as its commonly more robust for other checks (Security Requirements, etc). Honestly, VPNs just seem archaic, as there's other solutions for internal data or desktop access, but it's obviously a common use case scenario.

The mail thing... I'm not sure what that is about. I guess we'd have to know the account type. I'm pretty sure you can do that with POP and IMAP (not the Google specific one). ActiveSync would be a.. .why? scenario. I'd never want people to pump out corporate mail through a third-party server (neither does Google ).

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the N9. It's a gorgeous UI design coupled with a true touch UI paradigm. But I also went into this thing with lower expectations since I (we) knew exactly what was going on with this platform before we bought it. Of course, I've been surprised on what the awesome community Devs have done and what the internal Nokia team has been able to accomplish with, what I can imagine, scarce resources.

I hope others copy the UI, as this baby has been put out to pasture by Elop.

Last edited by jonnyl; 2012-05-23 at 04:03.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jonnyl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonnyl View Post
I hope others copy the UI, as this baby has been put out to pasture by Elop.
Your wish has been granted. BB10 has copied (stolen) many features of MeeGo's swipe UI while Nokia (Elop) seems oblivious to the gem they have.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Your wish has been granted. BB10 has copied (stolen) many features of MeeGo's swipe UI while Nokia (Elop) seems oblivious to the gem they have.
Okay, maybe anyone else but RIM

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jonnyl View Post
The biggest issue with Enterprise Wifi is the lack of support for unsigned certs (or Certs from an untrusted CA).

I hate to bring up iOS, especially since I hate it, but it easily supports this was just a verification check to allow the untrusted cert (OS X also supports this better than Windows). This is what makes a device accessible. Not the technical feature sets, but the ease of use. There's an obvious possible security issue, but if any Enterprise is truly concerned about security they would have further end-to-end encryption to whatever data is being transferred between client/server, even if they are between seemingly internal networks.
If enterprise is truly concertned about security they would use signed certs from trusted CA.

But as a hack solution for for incepted devices, you can always install those untrusted certs into N9 from commandline and make them trusted. (Yes I know that normal users don't use exploits, and for them unsigned certs might be a feature lack)
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
An OS needs years to mature. Only natural that Harmattan/swipe does not fit everyone. It could easely do so.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
An OS needs years to mature. Only natural that Harmattan/swipe does not fit everyone. It could easely do so.
True, but Harmattan isn't going to be given the chance to mature. Still it is far more matured right now as an OS than the half-baked WP7.5.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by ynnad179 View Post
Disgusting how people are flaming him for discussing real downsides to the N9. A new low for the community after the Wazzap debacle.
Benchmark moved: the new low for the community is people declaring new lows.

I just think OP is trollbait. 3 posts on this forum and now he's announcing his goodbye with his own special thread

Most of these issues have work-arounds. Not optimal, but no phone will do everything OP wants. I mean, if he's "quitting" what phone is he switching to?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fignew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
If enterprise is truly concertned about security they would use signed certs from trusted CA.
Nope, they won't - because its another point of failure / a risk introduced by a 3rd party (remember Diginotar)? They will use self-signed instead, which eliminates this risk.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by ynnad179 View Post
Disgusting how people are flaming him for discussing real downsides to the N9. A new low for the community after the Wazzap debacle.
What is "the Wazzap debacle" ?
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post: