Reposting this from PMs because it will be more useful to other people here than locked away...

Originally Posted by gng554
can you please confirm the following:
i will be able to browse the web/install new applications/run applications if i do this fix ?
and i wont be able to send files from my computer to my n900 using the usb cable?
Correct correct and correct. Like I said, I haven't had a chance to play with it some more and figure out why it can't mount the USB, but I know it's fixable. I'll try to fix it in a future update.

hey man can you tell me which line i should remove to keep arabic font? as i get arabic messages on my phone so i cannot delete that font...i also want the nokia hands logo to stay...
-edit this file:
emmcfix\run\startoverremove.txt

-At the bottom of the file, you'll see this:

Code:
# Nokia Hands Video - patch boot file & remove video file
echo "Patching/Removing Nokia Hands Boot Video..."
# replace default.conf; path to nokia 'hands' video becomes commented out
cp /media/mmc1/emmcfix/sysbak/etc_hildon-welcome.d_default.conf.txt /etc/hildon-welcome.d/default.conf
rm -r /usr/share/hildon-welcome # delete nokia 'hands' video

# Remove Misc Files/Dirs & unnecss parts of packages (lic agreements, fonts)
echo "Removing Asian Fonts and some other odds & ends..."
rm -r /usr/share/fonts/arabic # relatively large file size
rm -r /usr/share/cherry # IIRC this was a readme or documentation belonging to Nokia's feedback sender thingy
-Delete it. That will let you keep the Nokia startup video and the Arabic font.

i have an 8gb sd card
i use this line to enable swap on sd card:
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p2
i have to type it every time i reboot my device as i don't know how to write a start up script....
ok. So you've partitioned your SD card, and now you have the swap partition on mmcblk1p2. I assume the first partition is Linux ext2, on mmcblk1p1?

What I really recommend doing is reformatting the card again, so that you have 3 partitions: fat32, Linux ext3 and Linux swap. Without a fat32 partition, you won't be able to access the SD card at all in Windows. Not without a lot of trouble, anyway. Read through the "ReadMe_Partitioning.txt" file for some tips, ask me if you have any specific questions.

If you just want to get the phone somewhat working for now, you have to make these changes:

-edit this file:
emmcfix\run\setupswap.txt

-find:
Code:
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p3
-replace with:
Code:
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p2

-edit this file:
emmcfix\run\copyhome.txt

-find:
Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk1p2 /mnt
-replace with:
Code:
mount -t ext2 /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt

-edit this file:
emmcfix\sysbak\etc_event.d_startup-script.txt

-find:
Code:
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p3
-replace with:
Code:
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p2

-edit this file:
emmcfix\sysbak\etc_event.d_rcS-late-NEW.txt

-find:
Code:
    echo "/dev/mmcblk1p2 /home ext3 rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=1,data=writeback 0 0" >> $tmp_fstab
    echo "/home/opt /opt none bind" >> $tmp_fstab
    echo "/dev/mmcblk1p1 /home/user/MyDocs vfat noauto,nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,nodiratime,utf8,uid=29999,shortname=mixed,dmask=000,fmask=0133,rodir 0 0" >> $tmp_fstab
-replaced with:
Code:
    echo "/dev/mmcblk1p1 /home ext2 rw,noatime,errors=continue,commit=1,data=writeback 0 0" >> $tmp_fstab
    echo "/home/opt /opt none bind" >> $tmp_fstab

I THINK that's everything.. those changes assume that you have an ext2 partition setup on mmcblk1p1. If you partitioned it using ext3, just change "ext2" to "ext3" in all of the above changes. If you're not sure, ask me (-or post here-)

Last edited by Durango; 2011-04-19 at 18:32.

Originally Posted by cr0c0 View Post
I have successfully reflowed the dreaded Nvidia video cards in three laptops, and they continued working for 2-6 months afterwards. I did not bake the motherboards. I covered them completely in tin foil, leaving only the video chip exposed. Then I used a heat gun to reflow them (there is a great video on youtube of a thinkpad being reflowed using this technique).

But the situation in your case is both better and worse at the same time. These laptops still had the video chips attached to the PCB, which made reflowing easy. However the original manufacturing defect was still present which is why the fix was only temporary.

If you manage to line up the chip with the PCB and then you reflow your N900, the chance is pretty decent it will work as new.
I assume you're talking about Pavilion laptops.. I've kinda been glad that mine just has plain old Intel graphics. This thing runs hot enough as it is.

I've watched quite a few of reflowing videos on youtube of varying degrees of professionalism/equipment used, mostly of Xbox 360s but a few others too, using everything from ovens to the tin foil + heat gun method. It definitely seems doable, I'm just afraid because of the scale of the board and how many other things are around or on the opposite side of the chip. Plus I'm in Germany til August and don't have easy access to soldering equipment, heat guns etc. Plus I don't have a backup phone if it doesn't work :/

Originally Posted by tvogel View Post
I reflowed my N900 after being dropped. The flash wasn't completely loose as in Durango's case.

If you ever think about it:

Peel off the keymat, store it on a CD jewel case. Can be reused.

Desolder the tiny button cell backup battery (double-layer capacitor). It will get fried by the preheater.

Remove the camera. This is the hardest part if you don't have the official tool.

It's very difficult to remove the border of the cage around the flash chip. I damaged some of its solder pads. Not crucial, though.

I needed four attempts until I was brave enough to apply enough heat for reflowing ;-) Don't push on the chip. Let it flow.

Take care of the tiny static discharge protection chips. They easily fly away or move. Then, you'll have shorts between USB pins and ground.

Now works again since a few months :-))
Thanks for the tips, it's cool to know that somebody has successfully done it. The camera looks like it'll be a *****, for sure. I don't have an excellent history with soldering on boards (i.e. things break), so yea my biggest concerns really are with other things floating away and shorting. Did you use a heat gun then? What temperature? (approximately?)

Originally Posted by Durango View Post
I assume you're talking about Pavilion laptops.. I've kinda been glad that mine just has plain old Intel graphics. This thing runs hot enough as it is.
The advantage is that the N900 flash, while being a manufactured "problem zone", does not seem to be failing on its own. In all cases that I heard of, it took being dropped. So, I have hopes that if reflowed once, it has some chances to last. The graphics chips are under much higher thermal stress.

Plus I don't have a backup phone if it doesn't work :/
Actually, I got a used backup N900 off ebay beforehand. Now my girl-friend is a happy user of the reflowed N900.

Thanks for the tips, it's cool to know that somebody has successfully done it. The camera looks like it'll be a *****, for sure. I don't have an excellent history with soldering on boards (i.e. things break), so yea my biggest concerns really are with other things floating away and shorting. Did you use a heat gun then? What temperature? (approximately?)
I didn't dare to point my fat heat gun at a delicate board like this. There is a lot of plastic (for the elevated SD card holder) which would melt away like ice. So, I went and bought a hot-air station ZD-939L and after finding out that it doesn't make any sense without a preheater, I also bought a second-hand preheater off ebay which was a real bargain because the previous owner had modded it with a great mechanism for holding PCBs perfectly fitting the N900 board.

I also bought an IR thermometer but the one I got is crap and shows funny values and doesn't focus well.

About temperature: I can't really tell. Preheater was at about 120 °C. The hot air, I cannot exactly remember and I took about four attempts until I dared to go high enough. It takes quite some heat to melt the balls below the chip. I guess something like 350°C which is quite high, but I used a small nozzle and constantly moved around in order to spread the heat. I guess that's why I needed more then generally recommended. Of course, it's much better not to take four attempts because that all stresses the PCB layers and eventually will lead to delamination. Really glad, it didn't happen to me.

I also added some flux paste around the chip which melts well due to the preheater and flows under the chip. I removed that with isopropanol afterwards.

Also: I tried on the tiny static discharge chips to reball them: It's terribly difficult with mere solder and a solder iron. Solder just prefers to stick to the iron due to surface tension. So, even though it's recommended to reball: If the balls on your flash still look OK, I would maybe resolder the surface of your PCB and try to keep the balls on the chip.

Also: The interface to the flash chip is serial, so only very few of those like 70 balls actually carry a signal. It's enough for them to have good contact. The rest is mechanical support.

Where in Germany are you? PM me.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
I suppose you never applied a file system to the 2nd partition of the external card, i think you did not create the swap as well. So please try first
Code:
sudo gainroot
mkfs.ext3 -m 1 -L home /dev/mmcblk1p2
tune2fs -o 0 -i 0 /dev/mmcblk1p2
mkswap -L swap /dev/mmcblk1p3
swapon /dev/mmcblk1p3
Then carry on with mount and copy like in the previous tries.
Can anyone help out?
Ive been using durango's zip file of readmes and scripts (thank you by the way) and am stuck at this point.

when I run:
Code:
it goes through fine, but the second command:
Code:
gives me the error:
Code:
tune2fs 1.41.3.maemo0  (12-Oct-2008)
Setting interval between checks to 0 seconds
Invalid mount option set: 0
any ideas?

edit:
Then again, I might go this route:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Just get some local bro to re-flow the solder on the BGA...
Friend of a friend kind of thing. I'll have to see this weekend. But I want to have this working incase.

edit2/...:
Then again I might just buy one of these two and try it myself? Can't be that crazy right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATTEN-AT858D-858...item4aaaed2cc6
http://cgi.ebay.com/2IN1-SMD-SOLDERI...item5ae18b62f4

Last edited by lordnibbla; 2011-07-30 at 00:55.

Originally Posted by lordnibbla View Post
Code:
gives me the error:
Code:
any ideas?
I never actually ran that code since I ended up setting up my partitions through Ubuntu. I don't know exactly how to use tune2fs, but looking at the expected syntax in the documentation, something is wrong with the "-o 0" part.

http://linux.die.net/man/8/tune2fs

"-o" means mount option, after which one or more of the following strings is expected: debug, bsdgroups, user_xattr, etc... (see page).

I'm kinda thinking that he meant to write "-c" (for which 0 is a valid option), but I don't understand at all what that option is supposed to do. I'm still a Linux n00b

Once I get back to the States and have another phone, I'll probably trying repairing my N900 as well. Nothing like a good excuse to buy more tools

@tvogel: sorry I completely missed your question before. I'm living in Braunschweig in Niedersachsen, but I'm leaving 17. August. My year is up, time to move back home.

Last edited by Durango; 2011-07-31 at 23:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to Durango For This Useful Post:
Ok, I formatted the card in the live cd... trying it out now.

update:
NICE!! I got it working, formatted with the live cd using gparted. I had to change some of the references of mmcblk1p1, 2, 3 ect for the scripts used, but other than that I have a working N900 again

me=happy camper.

Thank you everyone involved in making this possible

but I'm still tempted to buy the hot air rework station... youre right, its always fun to buy a new toy ;p

Last edited by lordnibbla; 2011-08-01 at 17:24.

Sorry For Annoying
But i really need to ask u because i have problem with my N900 not fixed yet..
I am trying to fix it for 2 months.. And i tried (useless nokia care centers).
My problem seems like to this thread " No eMMC and how to install Maemo to microSD"
Really My EMMC is useless now.. i cannot use it any more..
I don't want to annoy u with bore description, I just need u to tell me.. can i use my SD card instead of The EMMC and put maemo with system files on it... and don't use EMMC permanently?
If there anyway to do it software please tell me.. if it's hardware tell me from where can i buy spare parts for n900... i cannot find parts for it
Sorry again,
Vielen Dank im Voraus

Originally Posted by nourgomaa View Post
.. can i use my SD card instead of The EMMC and put maemo with system files on it... and don't use EMMC permanently?
yes you bet! thats what the thread is all about!
well I suggest that somebody will make a resume or a howto of this in his blog
my friend has the same problem and it would be great if a simple howto of these steps to help us (when he get the 16Gb uSD)

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by lordnibbla View Post
Can anyone help out?
Ive been using durango's zip file of readmes and scripts (thank you by the way) and am stuck at this point.

when I run:
Code:
Code:
gives me the error:
Code:
any ideas?

edit:
Then again, I might go this route:

Friend of a friend kind of thing. I'll have to see this weekend. But I want to have this working incase.

edit2/...:
Then again I might just buy one of these two and try it myself? Can't be that crazy right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATTEN-AT858D-858...item4aaaed2cc6
http://cgi.ebay.com/2IN1-SMD-SOLDERI...item5ae18b62f4
Sorry! Please excuse me for really writing that sh*t
Should be the -c option! Silly me, and thank you for pointing out again!
Code:
tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/mmcblk1p2

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by nourgomaa View Post
Sorry For Annoying
But i really need to ask u because i have problem with my N900 not fixed yet..
I am trying to fix it for 2 months.. And i tried (useless nokia care centers).
My problem seems like to this thread " No eMMC and how to install Maemo to microSD"
Really My EMMC is useless now.. i cannot use it any more..
I don't want to annoy u with bore description, I just need u to tell me.. can i use my SD card instead of The EMMC and put maemo with system files on it... and don't use EMMC permanently?
If there anyway to do it software please tell me.. if it's hardware tell me from where can i buy spare parts for n900... i cannot find parts for it
Sorry again,
Vielen Dank im Voraus
Gern geschehen!
Basic setup information start here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=933228&postcount=8
The actual howto here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=10

Did you try to revive the emmc (and to what success or failure) of the other thread http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...81&postcount=7 ?

Last edited by michaaa62; 2011-10-16 at 06:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post: