Mind you, it has been (theorically) possible to do the exact same thing for quite a while, using PyGTK and Glade or Gazpacho on the desktop, and the standard python2.5 runtime on the tablet (which includes PyGTK). Only it didn't really work so well.

It's nice to see that Qt better fulfills that promise. I'll give it a go when I'm tired of my plain but natively cross-platform python web apps :-)

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
What I like about Qt and PyQt is that it is so much more than just a GUI framework.

It's got a powerful set of XML parsing classes, a file system that automatically takes care of the difference in file path formats between Windows, Macintosh and Linux, cryptographic hash classes, and support for SQL databases.

There is also a "settings" class that allows your app to remember settings between executions. Behind the scenes it uses the registry in the Windows environment, XML files on Macintosh, and ini files on Linux.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Mind you, it has been (theorically) possible to do the exact same thing for quite a while, using PyGTK and Glade or Gazpacho on the desktop, and the standard python2.5 runtime on the tablet (which includes PyGTK). Only it didn't really work so well.
Does PyGTK/Glade or PyGTK/Gazpacho do automatic Hildonization? Maybe that is what you meant by it didn't work so well.

Anyway, that is what caught my attention with PyQT/QT Designer, plus no Scratchbox.

Originally Posted by dont View Post
Does PyGTK/Glade or PyGTK/Gazpacho do automatic Hildonization? Maybe that is what you meant by it didn't work so well.
I'm not sure, it's been a while, and I gave up quickly enough. But I seem to remember that you needed to specifically call the Python Hildon API for some things, which sort of defeated the portability idea.

I will say I was totally flabbergasted when I copied my PyQt source files over to the N810, raw, and it "just worked." I expected to spend a couple of weeks adapting the code to the Maemo platform.

I have some problems with some of the controls being squished, but I have a feeling it is due to my misusing the "sizePolicy" property of the controls. I don't think is it PyQt's fault, it's mine.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure, it's been a while, and I gave up quickly enough. But I seem to remember that you needed to specifically call the Python Hildon API for some things, which sort of defeated the portability idea.
That was my experience too, but the details are fuzzy now. It was also a pain to find all of the components to do this on Windows. I did get Eagle to work, but the results were so ugly that I gave up on that too - probably too quickly but it became clear that I would have to dive into the Eagle code if I wanted it to look at all pleasant. The easiest approach so far has been the one you used - a local server and using the web-browser for a window manager.

I am going to give PyQt a go - fingers crossed!

I suspect that there are quite a few folks who would like to roll their own IT programs on Windows but find the whole mass of stuff that you have to learn first much too intimidating.

Install Qt, PyMaemo, and PyQt. Then see if Gowan's test program works:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...90&postcount=3

If it does, you are good to go.

If you have questions about programming in Qt, this is a good forum:
http://www.qtcentre.org/forum/

The Following User Says Thank You to Nyrath For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dont View Post
That was my experience too, but the details are fuzzy now. It was also a pain to find all of the components to do this on Windows. I did get Eagle to work, but the results were so ugly that I gave up on that too - probably too quickly but it became clear that I would have to dive into the Eagle code if I wanted it to look at all pleasant. The easiest approach so far has been the one you used - a local server and using the web-browser for a window manager.
I am going to give PyQt a go - fingers crossed!
I suspect that there are quite a few folks who would like to roll their own IT programs on Windows but find the whole mass of stuff that you have to learn first much too intimidating.
That was precisely the main point of my talk in Berlin - which led to web apps. If Qt on maemo does approach the same level of painlessness, then that changes a lot of things for a lot of people.

Nice move by Nokia -- but it does raise the question of why the same was never done for GTK ? :-)

Nice move by Nokia -- but it does raise the question of why the same was never done for GTK ? :-)
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that PyQt was ported over by a third party hobbyist, not Nokia. I'm a little less sure about the Qt port, but I'm somewhat sure that was not by Nokia as well.

I was aware of that, but as it happened at the same time Nokia bought Trolltech, I assumed there was a connection. After all, python/pyGTK is technically third-party too (through INdT), but it happened because Nokia wanted it to...

Tags
pyqt, python