Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
This got me curious... how do you unlock older NITs?
EDIT:
Forgot to add the link: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_grante...-news-3307.php

Last edited by vetsin; 2011-10-26 at 08:26.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
slide key, no onscreen thingy.
We are lucky Apple didn't patent the on-off switch, the keyboard, or the human-device interaction.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
I don't understand how you can patent digital mecanisms that mimic unpatented real life mecanisms.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I don't understand how you can patent digital mecanisms that mimic unpatented real life mecanisms.
You can patent human genes and can ask for cash if someone even tries to do research on it. Your sad little genetic-based disease can be someones goldmine even before a cure is found. Talking about trolls...

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
770 & N800: press power, then centre d-pad button. The N810 adds a physical slide switch on the top.

As for the patent, it seems it only has legs in the US with their known-broken patent system:

The Dutch judge who wrote today's decision declared the European counterpart of that patent (EP20080903) obvious (as compared to prior art presented by Samsung) and, therefore, invalid.
(The article even has pictures of said prior art, on WinCE no less)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
EDIT:
Forgot to add the link: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_grante...-news-3307.php
Don't forget the most important aspect about the NITS - they were first. So we can keep on using the NIT software without worrying about what Apple does with this patent or other subsequent patents.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Recently, there was some "America Invents" act passed that changes the US system from first-to-invent to first-to-file IIRC. Let's wait and see.

EDIT: oh my, Samsung (or the blogger?) even demonstrated prior art using a screenshot of an Terratec EWX control panel which is NOT the mentioned Native Instruments Guitar Rig:

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-10-26 at 10:59.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Don't forget the most important aspect about the NITS - they were first.
Barely (Apple's patent application is from December 2005), but the 770 didn't have slide-to-unlock anyway. IIRC we didn't have any kind of slide/swipe UI elements until Canola.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Barely (Apple's patent application is from December 2005), but the 770 didn't have slide-to-unlock anyway. IIRC we didn't have any kind of slide/swipe UI elements until Canola.
Barely is all that matters in the patent world. And let's not forget the nokia 7710 which was Hildon-like in some respects and released in 2004.

But most of Apple's relevant touch screen patents were filed after 2005 anyway. The big takeaway is that Maemo 4 doesn't have the patent problems of Android.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
it seems that patent system's going towards the wrong direction... are manufacturers supposed to check all filed patents before they make real products with innovative features? apple seems to be claiming too much. (or they're just receiving too much exposure from the press?)