Notices

Is there any program that can be executed from the command line, where you can capture an image from an external webcam, but also set the exposure time, gain, compression method, and stuff like that?
I would like to do some remote timelapse videos, and it is important to control at least the exposure time.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Platania (CZ), ITALY
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Is there any program that can be executed from the command line, where you can capture an image from an external webcam, but also set the exposure time, gain, compression method, and stuff like that?
I would like to do some remote timelapse videos, and it is important to control at least the exposure time.

usually these software running on web server .. command line you must control devices connected via USB or IP camera

in any case there aren't problems, with internet tablet you connect via browser or via shell and control the device setting software

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
If the webcam is USB, you might be able to capture using ffmpeg and video4linux - I've done it using ARM Debian, but never thought about it on the NITs.

Those programs should be configurable in the way you want.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
here's a how-to for using an external webcam with mplayer. Don't know how to control the camera's exposure, etc. this way, however.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: