Active Topics

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Hum, I must say that I'm bothered by this price change soon since I'm still unable to pay my pre-order. However, I didn't received this e-mail about an increased price. Does it mean than I'm in a quantic stage ?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Boy what a cluster****.
Why? Whoever pre-ordered can pay now and get it for the price that was initially mentioned. The rest (me included), we still have a chance to pre-order and pay to get it for that price. If we don't....... well, we knowingly missed our chance.
I mean 650€ is a lot of money, but if I can spare 650 for a phone than I can spare HYPOTHETICAL 750 also. The only thing that kinda worries me is that this 650 was the price mentioned everywhere and as much people loved the idea of HWK phone they didn't like the price. So I hope that POTENTIAL price hike won't drove away many of those that were interested. Outside of this forum anyway.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Wish they were a bit more transparent for the price increase. Feels like they sold so many preorders and thought we're not making enough money off this thing.
As a business I hope they make lots of money, so I don't blame them for doing that, but at the same time I hope this doesn't hurt sales. 650 was already a pretty tough price to swallow and watching a device go up in price is not what people want to see.
Still support the project and glad I paid right away. Also 2 year warranty is unmatched and they seem very committed to supporting this device long term.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Wish they were a bit more transparent for the price increase. Feels like they sold so many preorders and thought we're not making enough money off this thing.
More than likely its a change or miscalculation in terms of costs, the device has clearly gone through a number of revisions already and so that could be part of it.

Increasing the price for non pre-orders seems fairly typical, but evidently it wasn't clear that there was a time limit on converting a pre-order into a proper order.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Hold on a sec.
WTF.
Absolutely agreed, as you guys already managed to talk yourself into discussing specific prices / price increases based on pure speculation:

"8% increase", "increase by a 1/3", "778 USD", "1032.15 CAN$", "720€ incl. shipping" etc.

This is crazy, if the intention was not trolling in the first place, and evil if it was.
Can you please stop this nonsense.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
More than likely its a change or miscalculation in terms of costs, the device has clearly gone through a number of revisions already and so that could be part of it.

Increasing the price for non pre-orders seems fairly typical, but evidently it wasn't clear that there was a time limit on converting a pre-order into a proper order.
Well in the message they posted factors outside of our control. I'd like to know what those are. Device revisions and calculations seem completely under their control

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, they are UK based. And pound is sinking.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Absolutely agreed, as you guys already managed to talk yourself into discussing specific prices / price increases based on pure speculation:

"8% increase", "increase by a 1/3", "778 USD", "1032.15 CAN$", "720€ incl. shipping" etc.

This is crazy, if the intention was not trolling in the first place, and evil if it was.
Can you please stop this nonsense.
Fully agree. We can continue to speculate and panic here, or simply wait for a word from Chen / FxTec.

Calm down people

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Thanks for all the support, criticise and help on clarification. Much appreciate the support from the community, it's the power for me to keep things moving.

We are undergoing for the first batch of production which will be finished shortly, but it's very limited in quantity. (I am sorry again to some people that we are not a massive entity that can afford a huge amount of first shipment) And meanwhile we are working on our second batch, which has also started. Please do bear in mind that in general, production including sourcing needs to be started 3-4 month before shipping. We are trying our best to reduce the gap for the following shipment. (And I am sure there will be more complaints from some that the waiting time is too long, in a bit of time. This is what we are trying to work out)

Unfortunately, since a few month ago, global and local politics are moving to a direction that is being very difficult to our little business. Trade war causing huge problems on sourcing components and shipping; Brexit and Sterling dropping into a stupidly low level; and there are a few extra license cost which we were not aware of at the beginning (can't disclose details publically) which also added a lot on individual cost. The price adjustment is a hard decision based on all the factors above. It more of making us survive, rather than making revenue. We always wanted to lower the price as much as possible so more users can get a chance to use the product, but there are cases that we cannot control.

However, that's said for all the pre-orders it would remain same as we promised if users pay on time. And once the situation of politics gets stabilised we will do the best to lower the price as much as we can.

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Also 2 year warranty is unmatched and they seem very committed to supporting this device long term.
Well yes, but no.

The warranty is indeed 2 years, if you don't tamper with your device physically (which makes perfect sense) AND if you only use Android.

The Pro1 comes with a 2 year warranty on the device, which covers any manufacturing defects. Devices that have been physically modified will not be covered by the warranty. Accessories come with a 1 year warranty that cover manufacturing defects. For a device to be covered by warranty, it must be running Android OS. F(x)tec cannot be responsible for any issues which arise from installing alternative operating systems.
While I understand why it is so, that's also quite a bummer.

It also brings another question for all the privacy-haters that fancy Google so much: the FAQ says "it must be running Android", yet it doesn't state it should be the Android version the Pro1 will be shipped with.
Since F(x)tec is publicly advocating their open bootloader, I suppose it's all very possible to use another "flavor" of Android... but will it void the warranty as well ?
If so, they should come clean and state it on the product page:

OS
Android 9.0 Pie
Bootloader unlockable, supports other popular OS’s (Lineage, Sailfish etc)
UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER AND USING ANY THIRD-PARTY OS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY
instead of the bland and inaccurate

OS
Android 9.0 Pie
Bootloader unlockable, supports other popular OS’s (Lineage, Sailfish etc)
Now about the "support" part... they do say that alternate OSes are to be supported, but then again, as I just pinpointed, it's the hardware (Pro1) that supports the OSes (or the other way around, if you prefer that), since the company (F(x)tec) doesn't (since the warranty is lost).

I know, semantics.

That won't prevent me from getting it and installing anything but Android (so the classical third-grade answer "if you're not happy with it, no one is forcing you/go elsewhere" we've been getting of late is still irrelevant), but as I said, that's still a bummer.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit