Active Topics

Poll: Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?
Poll Options
Should MeeGo devs inform maemo.org users through talk.maemo.org?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Maemo, MeeGo, it's all the same. The idea of having a free software based desktop operating system power a mobile device. The name changed, MeeGo seems a bit more open than Maemo... But who knows, if Intel and Nokia hadn't joined forces (?) for MeeGo, Maemo 6 (or Maemo 7 by now, most probably) could be technically what MeeGo is today.

I just see MeeGo as Maemo 7. Different name, same technology, same idea. So yes, please keep the information coming to maemo(7).org
There is a very important difference, and it's not package formats or technology I'm talking about. It might be more open source-wise (it has the (dis)advantage of not being tied/developed with a single vendor product in mind), but focus and community-wise it's a completely different matter, and (IMHO) a huge step backwards compared to what maemo.org is/was (if I want to draw parallels, I'd say we're closer to a parliamentary monarchy, while meego.com is a feudal system with a BDFL approach). The project goals/workings (still) have not been properly communicated, and IMHO this is one of the reasons MeeGo reception is somewhat polarized - there are still plenty of people who don't quite grasp what is MeeGo and how it affects them.

In that sense, I'm glad to hear news about MeeGo, esp the (soon to be CE) DE and the bigger-impacting technological changes, but I wouldn't lull myself into MeeGo itself being (or looked at as) all that much 'closer' to the NIT lineage than, say, Ubuntu or NITdroid is.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
abill_uk must work for a competitor as he's slandering TMO, its members and meego
Lets not make this thread about he that shall not be named, I'm hoping he wont come here and hijack this thread :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Lets not make this thread about he that shall not be named, I'm hoping he wont come here and hijack this thread :P
Given the above, shall we then call him Voldemort?

edit:

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Given the above, shall we then call him Voldemort?
He was banned, no need to worry.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thedevils1 View Post
i voted no because this is a maemo forum not a meego forum and meego should not be on here
Did you know this forum used to be called "Internet Tablet Talk" ? ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I used to talk football on this forum as well...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
what it used to be and what it is now is what matter meego should be on meego.com not maemo.org they are totally different otherwise change the forum name
The naming scheme is FUBAR anyway, so what something is called means little anyways, and when Harmattan comes out, that barrier will become a whole lot blurrier...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
@Thedevils, I think considering how long you've been here, and how long the rest of us have been here. You don't really have the right to say what this place is or isn't. We are a community based around the Nokia NIT devices, we have had more operating systems than just Maemo you know. and if you want to stop MeeGo announcements and discussions on this forum, then maybe you should also tell those NITdroid folks to go away as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
what it used to be and what it is now is what matter meego should be on meego.com not maemo.org they are totally different otherwise change the forum name
Seeing as this is a forum for Nokia Internet tablet owners and meego is the next OS that will be available for Nokia Internet Tablets, it makes it entirely relevant to us.

If you want this to be Maemo only, we might as well call it the graveyard so that we're closer to Maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
He was banned, no need to worry.
When and how did THAT happen?
Now we're not gonna get all his cool inventions and contributions that he's said he's going to bring on board...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
context, debate, developers, frappadecaf, infraction pts, javis vs. woody, let's troll!, meego, relevance