Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto, Hong Kong
:::

For the SDHC Card that is 4GB or More,
What kind of file system should use..?
FAT16 or FAT32 Or .....???

:::

Talon88,

It's FAT32 according to all the threads here.

Hope this helps. lol, dan

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Word of caution, soft power-off isn't actually functional right now.

Also: if you're not using it, you might as well just plug it in.

Install the Maemo extras-devel repository.

Just about everybody in more than a dozen threads in most of the forums.

Wrong. maemo mapper is very usable without an internet connection. See my posts on the first page over here. It caches the map data in a database for use while offline. That's actually for 1.4, but everything is pretty much still relevant.
Hi GeneralAntilles
I tried installing, setting up and maps download everything you said in the other thread. It is working fine as long as we download the route before starting. But during the travel if I want to change my destination, it does not work. When I key in the new destination address, it says 'Host not found'.

As regards Bluetooth Headphone connectivity, I tried searching other threads, But I get lot of discussion, one says it is working, another says not, 3rd one says we can use But transmitter and bt headphones thru headphone jack. I got confused. if you have simple answer let me know.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tampa, FL
Originally Posted by mart1928 View Post
Well, I am still using os2007, but I think after reading several threads, I am ready for the upgrade to os2008. I hope some of the earlier installation problems have been fixed. I will also post here with my thoughts after I am done
Definitely a thumbs up on the OS 2008. I think the best feature for me is the better frame rate of youtube. I also am able to watch Yahoo videos, which I couldn't do before. I was able to install the rtcomm instant messaging upgrade, and the ability to chat with my AIM contacts works great. I still do use pidgin to be able to send files directly though. I even found that through the file manager I can access files on my shared folders on my Windows XP computer without any additional software. All in all a good upgrade experience for me.

I reflashed back to 2007.

I mainly use the tablet for ebooks with FBreader, a tcl game I am fond of, and I'm writing some python stuff so I use xterm a lot. I use VNC viewer to manage the livingroom Mac Mini.

I sometimes watch movies, listen to music.

THe speed was nice, the improvements in app manager were nice. All the software I wanted bar TCL was available (and TCL was found but not till I'd reflashed)

However...

- the main screen is ugly. The Fisher Price icons were much worse than the OS2007 versions, even Plankton didn't help that much. THe status bar icons were less usable, especially the battery one.

- FB reader was unsuable with thumb tap scrolling. The screen kept reading the tap as a selection not a scroll. Drove me barmy!

- I didn't like the huge menus such as the bookmark menu. Possibly thumb-friendly, certainly eye-hostile. Should be user-selectable, some of us are perfectly happy to use the stylus.

- seemed to use more battery. Getting 2007 to "battery full" was quick, 2008 never seemed to get there.

- xterm used up a lot of real estate with the control key bar along the middle of the screen rather than at the side. (And when I reflashed, I lost the control bar entirely! Somewhere out there is a different osso-xterm that has control keys up the side, but where?)

The biggie for me was the difficulty in FBreader. Could live with the rest although I really do find the big menus horrid and the main screen ditto. Can get used to the visual pollution but not the reduction in usability.

If they fix the screen sensitivity issue then I might go back to 2008. If they give me a theme that makes it look like 2007 with Plankton as well, I'd be even more likely to go back. Be nice if they could fix the battery issue....

Zebee

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
- the main screen is ugly. The Fisher Price icons were much worse than the OS2007 versions, even Plankton didn't help that much.
They seem to be unified with the rest of the N-series icons.

- FB reader was unsuable with thumb tap scrolling. The screen kept reading the tap as a selection not a scroll.
This issue has been fixed by a number of different changes in the newer FBReader versions.

- seemed to use more battery. Getting 2007 to "battery full" was quick, 2008 never seemed to get there.
I'm getting overall better battery life over here.

This issue has been fixed by a number of different changes in the newer FBReader versions.

I hope so. The FBReader scrolling bug was what drove me back to 2007OS. That and the Bluetooth Keyboard issue. If the FBReader is fixed I'm going to give 2008OS another try since I can live without the keyboard until that one's fixed.

This issue has been fixed by a number of different changes in the newer FBReader versions..
Hmm... well as I might have to reflash 2008 to work out the dual boot between 2007 and 2008 I suppose I can update FBreader and try again.

I have a dlink USB ethernet dongle that uses rt2750 so I could play with wired ethernet....

Zebee

Originally Posted by mart1928 View Post
I even found that through the file manager I can access files on my shared folders on my Windows XP computer without any additional software.
Can you be specific how you are doing that? Thanks

Originally Posted by HWL View Post
Can you be specific how you are doing that? Thanks
It seems to be automatic, no special steps needed.

To access shared Windows folders with OS2007 I had to install Wizard Mounter. Run Wizard Mounter to mount a specific Remote File System directory, specifying the computer (by IP address), the shared directory name to mount, and the access type Samba. It then appears in the N800 File Manager under Remote File Systems.

In OS2008, no steps needed. The first time I opened File Manager after installing OS2008, there were my Windows shared network folders shown by name of computer.