Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I think that another interesting thing to store, would be last used position in page, when using back/forward. Desktop browsers put you exactly where you have been, while QML Browser just bring you to the top of page (after back/forward).

Well, just like sixwheeledbeast, I'm starting to use it as my main browser for N900 It's that good!

Even despite the "cookies issue", which indeed, makes usual way of reading/replying in forums (open all subscribed threads in new tabs - windows in N900's case - and read/reply to the one by one, closing done ones) much less sexy. I guess that handling cookies between opened windows it is in a to-do list?
I'll have to see how the behaviour changes once persisent storage is enabled. I'm not sure exactly what is stored and what isn't.

BTW, small issue with it - now, when you shift+up/down arrow in text fields (to highlight whole lines), page scrolls at the same time. I think disabling scrolling when shift (or any modifier?) is pressed, might be a good idea.
The idea was to have the same key handling as MicroB, so Shift+Up/Down jumps to the beginning/end of the page. Handling of the cursor keys is implemented at the window level, whereas the text entry is handled by QtWebKit. I was hoping that the webview would swallow the key event when entering text, but it looks like it is propogated to the window.

Also, two issues (small one, and a goddamned big blocker-sized one, in that order) I've noticed:

1. Browsing history (complete one) acts strange. For example, after visiting dozens threads on TMO - all in separate windows - and closing all of them, on next start of QML Browser, my history consists only of main TMO page, and login page. Applies to other sites too, of course. MicroB stores every sub-page (at least when visited in separate windows).
The browsing history is currently only saved when the 'main' window is closed (the bookmarks window). That's an oversight on my part. If you close that window before you finish browsing, any links visited afterwards will not be saved. I'll fix this for the next update.

2. The old bane of everything Qt/QML related hit us again. I'm talking, of course, about the fact, that QML Browser completely ignores 80% of special characters binded to hardware keyboard. So, for example, if in your:
[/i]/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51[/i]

...you have [ mapped to shift + Alt_Gr (aka blue arrow) + f (or anything else, for that matter), it works in whole Maemo (terminal, microB, etc) QML Browser will only detec that you've pressed "-". Same forany other QT/QML program, sadly - but in browser, lack of majority custom-mapped keys is very painful, obviously.

If you find a way to fix it, you immediately receive Maemo's Nobel prize Not sure what can be done about it, though (so far, no one was able /knowledgeable enough to fix it - which made me hate QML, for a long while).
I have to look into this before I can be sure whether or not it can be fixed without patching Qt libraries. Certainly, it should be fixed at the components level if possible, rather than in QML Browser.

My website

GitHub

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sankt-Peterburg, Russia
In MicroB when you click the adress bar it selects the whole adress so you just need to hit ctrl+c, on qml you have ctrl+a first. Would be useful for sharing links.

The feature to import bookmarks from MicroB would be much appreciated also as I have lots of bookmarks there and too lazy to re-enter them into qml.

Oh, and will bookmarks on qml autosort based on popularity in qml same as in microb?

Last edited by ekze; 2014-08-24 at 01:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ekze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I noticed more crashes (iPhone user agent). Gdb attached to the process shows nothing interesting. The threads just exits and is no longer listed by info threads after ctrl+c. One of the crashes was on ddg showing some youtube goodies, one on youtube itself.

How can I get some relevant information about these crashes?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
is geolocation support planed

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sankt-Peterburg, Russia
Thanks for the update! Now I don't have to re-enter all of my mircrob bookmarks!

On the other note, it still doesn't remember login details, so I have re-login everytime I re-visit the site.

Also for some reason it cannot download this pdf: http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2015-1...ccess-list.pdf . Says something about method not supported. No prob on microb.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Seem to have had an issue installing QML-Browser 0.7.0 correctly
The browser was working but with bookmarks icons and menu missing, I only just noticed that HAM was stuck and couldn't update.

Code:
Setting up qml-browser (0.7.0) ...
Removing old bookmarks
rm: /home/user/.config/QMLBrowser/bookmarks.xml: is a directory
dpkg: error processing qml-browser (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 qml-browser
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
After removing the folder HAM is now working again.

Edit:-
Also IMO it would be easier to read saved bookmarks if the URL line was a thinner font. However, maybe this hasn't been an issue with the stock fonts.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2014-08-30 at 10:52.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Confirming the sixwheeledbeast's problem (I used apt-get). bookmarks.xml is for some reason a directory. Agree with the font remark. Using Nokia Pure and the same applies.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by ekze View Post
Thanks for the update! Now I don't have to re-enter all of my mircrob bookmarks!

On the other note, it still doesn't remember login details, so I have re-login everytime I re-visit the site.

Also for some reason it cannot download this pdf: http://kassiesa.net/uefafiles/2015-1...ccess-list.pdf . Says something about method not supported. No prob on microb.
I was intending to enable persistent storage for version 0.7.0, but it resulted in crashing when accessing the webview history, so I've left it disabled until I have time to investigate the cause: https://github.com/marxoft/qml-brows...f7156ca6d50f6c.

I will take a look at the download problem.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Seem to have had an issue installing QML-Browser 0.7.0 correctly
The browser was working but with bookmarks icons and menu missing, I only just noticed that HAM was stuck and couldn't update.

Code:
Setting up qml-browser (0.7.0) ...
Removing old bookmarks
rm: /home/user/.config/QMLBrowser/bookmarks.xml: is a directory
dpkg: error processing qml-browser (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 qml-browser
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
After removing the folder HAM is now working again.
I didn't get that error when installing with dpkg, but there may have been a bug in an earlier version that resulted in creation of the bookmarks.xml directory, depending on certain conditions. I suppose the postinst script should really check that it's a file, rather that simply check if the path exists.

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Also IMO it would be easier to read saved bookmarks if the URL line was a thinner font. However, maybe this hasn't been an issue with the stock fonts.
I'm using the default item delegate at the moment, which I don't think allows for multiple fonts in the text. There is only one line of text (in this case the title and URL joined by a newline character), which the painter draws as plain text. I will switch to a custom delegate for the next version.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2014-08-30 at 16:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I noticed more crashes (iPhone user agent). Gdb attached to the process shows nothing interesting. The threads just exits and is no longer listed by info threads after ctrl+c. One of the crashes was on ddg showing some youtube goodies, one on youtube itself.

How can I get some relevant information about these crashes?
You can't, except perhaps by compiling your own example application using the QtWebKit APIs and adding some debugging code. Ultimately, QML Browser is just using QWebView and QWebPage (via Qt Components Hildon), so the behaviour should be the same as when using those classes directly. I don't have enough time to investigate problems that cannot be fixed using the public APIs of those classes.

General rule: If the problem lies in QML Browser or Qt Components Hildon, I can fix it. Otherwise, I cannot fix it.

My website

GitHub

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, components, hildon, maemo 5, web browser