Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I almost posted this in the Software Forum, but decided to ask here. The community apps are still rather active; even the calc beta from Nokia shows some life in the platform.

However, Skype and Fring (for instance) have not been updated at all. Yet they've been both updated on the iPhone.

Just curious... any other apps not been updated in a while that you've noticed?

there has been some updates not less than two days ago depends what apps one has installed, the most needed updates must come from the big boss himself internet tablet and the browser which is the eyes to the internet is a lame donkey, email client which is the ears to the internet is too modest, faustration on the heads let us wait for an upgrade to the n900wimax edition.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2009-04-20 at 08:30.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Those apps are good examples of the market's interest... they're going where both the money and the users are.

I suspect the Skype port was sponsored by Nokia, and they just pulled their funding, so don't expect anything new from there. That was probably the #1 reason I chose the tablet though.

It bothers me that Skype hasn't been updated since December 2007 and there's no community apps that bring connectivity to other folks like I'd want - no video in RTComm to MSN, et al.

And it's not a "concern"?

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Perhaps "Fixed in Fremantle"?

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Perhaps "Fixed in Fremantle"?
Haha!

Perhaps that's the case indeed. Guess companies wants to be paid to do one version; a compelling reason for Nokia to make users upgrade to their new tablet/OS.

I assume that Skype can actually monitor how many N8x0 versions of Skype are running at any time.. assuming this is correct, maybe they would be more inclined to follow up with new releases if they know that there are users? So, why don't you all fire up Skype when your device is on-line, even if you don't plan to use it right now..

(that's what I'll be doing anyway.. unless my assumption above is shown to be wrong)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i remember gizmo was updated. can't say how often though.

maybe tablet-users just aren't skype users, so skype sees little benefit in updating. (i don't even have a skype account for example.)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
maybe tablet-users just aren't skype users, so skype sees little benefit in updating. (i don't even have a skype account for example.)
But why would they update ? You can spend your money already, anything beyond that is pure luxury for them. I mean, they make no extra money off of it it's not buggy, allows for file transfers, chats while talking, etc. And if you know about SIP you wouldn't use Skype anyway, except for contacting skype friends (which, again, brings no money). That's why I feel they loose interest so quickly after they dish out at least a marginally functional version. Same for linux - distro friendly ? 64bit ? pulseaudio ? Why bother if the distributions can work around this - people will say the distro sucks because it does not do skype, and never the other way around, regardless how sucky the skype client is. A giant IMO on all this

So many posts to agree with, from start to finish!

(my way of AOLing in my "me too"!)