It's not just the output resolution but the captured resolution of the video: Limited quality=better peformance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clubberlang For This Useful Post:
Maemo's slowness has to do with a few things.

1. It's a full unix environment. It uses scripts interpreted under heavyweight shells (bash/busybox), a standard VFS that loads data from a filesystem to ram before executing, and it swaps.

2. Apps are large. X11, GTK, standard libc.. all of these things take time to load. Where iPhone has a vastly simpler API and execution stack, our devices can run native openoffice.

3. Due to memory limitations, aforementioned apps and libraries are not locked to physical memory. They're allowed to be swapped out, and the device doesn't have enough memory to keep unused libraries cached.

The screen resolution is really irrelevant to how long it takes to load the app, but it's a testament to the power of the n900 that it can render video fast enough to update the 800x480 screen at 30fps.

I don't know how else to put it .. the iPhone is a toy, relatively speaking. A very slick, shiny, well optimized toy, to be sure. It is not a general-purpose, POSIX compliant, network-graphics-aware, fully multitasking pocket computer. It runs one app at a time and has a neat notifications / background task system to compensate.

That's not to say that there isn't optimization work that can be done on the n900. It's entirely possible to get the mediaplayer to load and play much faster, but it could result in some unintended consequences (ie. additional swapping of other apps).

Last edited by nightfire; 2010-02-18 at 18:40.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Why not have both?
I'd like to say "why not have all three!" and that's excluding the iphone

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
No offense to the N900

Hey guys I love the n900 and the full openness it has created. I also hate the iphone and what it stands for.

Bbutt…..

I was playing with my girlfriend’s iphone 3gs last night and my god. You forget how fast the device is. I took a video and played it instantly no lag anywhere. How is the n900 so much slower? I know we have to give the device time but I don’t see the speed of loading videos in the media gallery and after taking a video getting any faster. S60 media gallery slowness was never fixed, always stayed ssllooowww. Why is the media aspect of the n900 so bad? I didn’t even realize until I played with the 3gs, i just got used to it.

ps: the n900 is my favvourritteee thing right now. learnt so much about linux from it
N900 is way better......however, email sucks on N900....to me that is the only achilles hill to the phone

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Wow I am impressed with the responses to this thread. What a collection of brilliant minds the maemo community is. The iPhone is fast becoming a chav item - dumb as ditchwater it is.