Perhaps the result isn't as catastrophic as is implied by the title of this thread, but the basic idea is the same: the current version of Maemo Mapper (v1.3.2) does not work with the n800 or OS 2007. The cause seems to lay with Maemo Mapper's use of the BlueZ bluetooth libraries, which were recently upgraded in the n800.

I can't be sure, but an implication is that all applications that link against libbluetooth1 (i.e. most bluetooth-aware applications, except those that are only using bluetooth indirectly via cellular-based internet access) are affected.

From the news bit I added in the Maemo Garage:

Getting Maemo Mapper to work with the n800 will require standing up a new SDK environment and producing an n800-specific .deb file. I really hope I don't have to manage separate code bases between the two versions; hopefully it is just a matter of building the same code in different build environments. I certainly won't be adding any special functionality to the OS 2007 version.

Still, without an n800 or any plans to buy one, my ability to test Maemo Mapper on its platform will remain greatly hampered. Looks like I'll have to pull a Microsoft (or a Nokia?) and rely on the user base to do my testing. Sorry.

Anyway, I'll try to make this new .deb available to n800 owners as soon as I have time.

P.S. Thanks, Nokia.

P.P.S. My apologies for the sarcasm.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
To me Maemo Mapper is in the top three of Nokia applications so Gnuite should be among the first developers who gets a discounted N800 for 99 EUR. Is there any way us users can influence who is selected for the discount? I am prepared to write to Nokia.

they should give you one

either they give you one (discounted or free)
or we all should use this thread to take up a collection
for gnuite. he has paypal ya'know...

Maemo Mapper is one of the main reasons I bought the N800, so I second the idea of donations to buy the developer one if needed.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Installing btxfer from app catalogue fixes this. ls in /usr/lib shows both versions 1 and 2 of the bluetooth libs.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Let us not underestimate the kudos value of being selected by Nokia for the discount, Gnuite deserves this. We can then easily put together the remaining 99 EUR from the money we make by selling the N770.

How many MM users are there? If at least 100 then this means <1 EUR each... I am in

let there be 10 of us at 10€ each -- much faster that way :-)

I will help with 10 ? if needed.

nOKia must select you for the 99? discount.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
500 devices to be given out, popularity of maemo mapper... yeah, I'd find it hard to believe gnuite won't get an invite.