Guys, first have a read of the post: by our community member Kenny:

iphone for noobs android is for hack wantbees blackbaer is for the tick pepol syinbin as for the dum meamo is the way to go u can port prity much enything u want to it as long as u no how to who need nokia i glad thay aband the n900 it let me do whot i want with it if i want 9 home screens i can if i want to overclock it i can and befor eny off u say it vodis ur warrnty then i dont all redy sent 1 back to nokia with nitdroid and overclock at 1ghz and thay sen me new 1 chager port fell out nd all so hade arecrack an on it as well
Before you wipe your tears of laughter away, and calm your aching stomach, it is really a post of TMO!

But, maybe Kenny was a wise man!

Maybe, he is creating his own voice to text software, and has just posted a comment using his dictation!! who knows...

Speaking of that what are the best opensource voice-to-text source codes out there??? It will be great to start a garage project that can bring it out (and rival Google's). Me included.

Lets be Kenny

The Following User Says Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There is none. Linux has been a pathetic failure with regard to text to speech (oops, speech to text -- both!), and I have seen nothing from the Festival mailing list I have been on for many years to indicate things have changed.

Kenny's message was a horrible one to repost.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-05-02 at 04:39.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Linux has been a pathetic failure with regard to text to speech
I find it amusing you use such aggressive phrases to describe something that hasn't failed but rather has been a target of little interest. And it has nothing to do with Linux.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I find it amusing you use such aggressive phrases to describe something that hasn't failed but rather has been a target of little interest. And it has nothing to do with Linux.
I'm happy to have provided amusement.

I think it has a lot to do with Linux. I don't think it's accurate to say it has been of little interest. Kindles have text to speech and they are based on Linux, for example.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think it has a lot to do with Linux.
It has nothing to do with Linux because Linux is no one thing (at least, not in common parlance.)

I don't think it's accurate to say it has been of little interest. Kindles have text to speech and they are based on Linux, for example.
Text to speech is different from speech to text (voice recognition.) TTS has been a solved problem for a while, and there are numerous solutions in Linux. Speech to text is much more difficult and requires more specialized knowledge that doesn't have much presence or interest in the various open source communities.

Heck there's a whole article on it at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_...ition_in_Linux

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
There are actually things happening in the voice recognition area on Maemo right now. Look here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72565
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
It has nothing to do with Linux because Linux is no one thing (at least, not in common parlance.)

Text to speech is different from speech to text (voice recognition.) TTS has been a solved problem for a while, and there are numerous solutions in Linux. Speech to text is much more difficult and requires more specialized knowledge that doesn't have much presence or interest in the various open source communities.

Heck there's a whole article on it at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_...ition_in_Linux
Heck, thanks for explaining the difference between text to speech and speech to text. I do own several copies of Dragon NaturallySpeaking, including the very pricey Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional, and I also own several versions of TextAloud, the best Windows text to speech program, so I do have an idea of the difference. I've been using them for maybe ten years, and I have purchased the best Linux versions of Text to Speech software, which is why I say that they suck. I've also played with Festival and the like. It is always possible that great Linux software that does this stuff has sprung up relatively recently; I hope so, but I doubt it.

It's amazing to me that you pointed to the Wikipedia article on speech recognition in Linux but forgot to mention that it confirms what I said: it sucks in Linux.

And as for text to speech, can anyone point to good voices in Linux? Mostly, the answer I have received when asking year after year is "no".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
There are actually things happening in the voice recognition area on Maemo right now. Look here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72565
Yes, I've seen PocketSphinx mentioned from time to time and will be delighted if it ever really goes anywhere, but when I get decent voice recognition on the Linux systems I run at home I will be more hopeful.