Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, I went through that whole discussion
I think it's a good discussion to have, especially since there was never a point when we could have it in maemo.org.

and the purists love to blah-blah about the theory
There are some practical concerns too. The vbulletin license agreement makes collaborative development of the sort we would expect to have in such a community (eg people developing / testing locally and pushing their changes via git) quite hard and costly.

but I don't see anyone stepping up to actually run the project on an open source platform.
True, and the discussion seems to have gone into vbulettin vs phpbb mode rather too quickly :-( I don't use forums much so don't know what's out there, but it there's something that fits the needs (which haven't actualyl been clearly defined yet) better it deserves at least a look. What, if any, are the viable OSS options?

If on the other hand VB really is the best available option so be it.

I personally think Reggie's the resource that needs to be preserved, so I'm behind him and whatever he wants to use.
Reggie is a valuable resource to be sure, but he's not an infinite resource and he may not be around forever.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I’m not responsible for this, am merely spreading the word for anyone not following the community list. Which might well not be anyone.

A test site for phpbb can be found here at meegotalk.tk

At the moment, the bridge is also looking solid there, however there are a few issues which still make the vb package more appealing for me..

1.SSO implementation with Reggies approach makes more sense to me in terms of consistency. Registration works both ways using the phpbb test site, which leads to two different sign-up processes. I cant see any advantage in this (that doesn’t mean there isn’t one, please feel free to enlighten me)
2.Thanks/Karma system not implemented on phpbb YET. I cant speculate as to the feasibility of emulating the system here.
3.Reggie! Proven track record, ready and willing to work with vb with lots of experience and knowledge.

Just sharing my thoughts here because I dont like mailing lists

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to happyblob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by happyblob View Post
I’m not responsible for this, am merely spreading the word for anyone not following the community list. Which might well not be anyone.

A test site for phpbb can be found here at meegotalk.tk

At the moment, the bridge is also looking solid there, however there are a few issues which still make the vb package more appealing for me..

1.SSO implementation with Reggies approach makes more sense to me in terms of consistency. Registration works both ways using the phpbb test site, which leads to two different sign-up processes. I cant see any advantage in this (that doesn’t mean there isn’t one, please feel free to enlighten me)
2.Thanks/Karma system not implemented on phpbb YET. I cant speculate as to the feasibility of emulating the system here.
3.Reggie! Proven track record, ready and willing to work with vb with lots of experience and knowledge.

Just sharing my thoughts here because I dont like mailing lists
Your feelings just about reflect mine (including the dislike of mailing lists!)

I thought this one was all sorted after the IRC meeting a fortnight ago, but apparently not.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Your feelings just about reflect mine (including the dislike of mailing lists!)

I thought this one was all sorted after the IRC meeting a fortnight ago, but apparently not.
Some people don't like mailing lists, and prefer forums.

Some people don't like IRC, and prefer mailing lists

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Some people don't like mailing lists, and prefer forums.

Some people don't like IRC, and prefer mailing lists
Yep. Which is why we need mailing lists, IRC and forums. And we need to make sure that people in all of them know about conversations happening in each of them.

My understanding was that a number of issues were regarded as 'resolved' after the meeting. I wasn't able to be there, but had gained that impression.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Blogs! You're forgetting blogs! The cruddy little things that glue it all together.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, just a comment to put OSS purity in its context.

MeeGo is a project of the Linux Foundation that will be hosted at the Open Source lab of the Oregon State university, where other champion OSS projects are hosted: http://osuosl.org/

From this point of view it makes a lot of sense to default to OSS licenses for the MeeGo infrastructure, since both the Linux Foundation and the OSUOSL are organizations with a explicit open source agenda.

Of course it also makes a lot of sense to consider current resources and skills, and this is why no decision has been made (but we will, this week).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
fyi we have decided to go for vBulletin integrated with Drupal with Reggie leading the implementaton work.

http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ch/000437.html

Thank you for the discussion here! Now the implementation discussion moves entirely to meego.com

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm excited and encouraged at the shape of communications, the timelines and the overall decision process. Kudos to Quim and company.

MeeGo Forum is now live! http://forum.meego.com
More info: http://bit.ly/9nefhU

Thanks all!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego