Closed Thread
Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
*sigh* I think people have covered most of what needs to be posted here. All of us have stated that the GUI is responsive, which you say isn't "conclusive proof". Well, you stating that your GUI was unresponsive isn't "conclusive proof" either. Someone want to make a video of their n810, freshly flashed, showing that the GUI is responsive, and just some of their experience with the device? I would do it with my n800, but I've messed with it a bunch, and, in doing that, made it slower than most :P

I agree with others. All of what you're saying seems like a hardware defect. You, however, don't even seem to be willing to admit that it might maybe be a possibility.

Lastly, the first review you posted complained that the n810 wasn't a phone. Any review that complains that the n810 isn't a phone immediately loses all credibility from me. That wasn't the purpose of these devices. They were made to be a small computer that you could put in your pocket and browse the web with. I'll agree that the browsing experience on the n810 isn't the best, but most portable devices that fit in your pocket have a much worse experience, overall.

As for comparing with the iPod Touch/iPhone... Of course the n810 will be slower! The iPod Touch is made to do one thing at a time. Try only ever running one application at a time on your tablet. Heck, that won't even fully emulate the iPod Touch experience, because you still have the desktop, and other controlling entities to make multitasking possible. For me, this is a huge benefit of the tablets of the iPod Touch/iPhone. Although, this comparison really needs to die. They were made for two completely different purposes. There's nothing wrong with liking both, IMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
First post in this thread... but I also agree that Omega might have had a defective unit. If I'm not completelly mistaken the Bluetooth/GPS/WiFi antennas are connected to the main baord with a connector, and if that was loose then this kind of behavior could be easily explained.

Just to bring one real life example: 15 years ago my first cell phone (Mobira 5000, practially same as Nokia 2110...) had terrible reception. I opened it up and found that the antenna didn't have a connection to the main board. I soldered there a piece of copper strip to make contact between the main board and antenna base, and suddenly my phone jumped from 0-1 bars to all 5 bars. All was good until the phone developed another issue and I had to send it for repair. Before sending it in I removed my own mod, since it was still under warranty. After the phone came back I had to open it to see if they fixed the antenna connection issue... and there was a new connector soldered to the main board! Apparently that proofs that the phone had a manufacturing defect when it was first shipped to customer.

Finally I got an excuse to join into this useless discussion... However, I have found all my 770, N800 and N810 devices enjoyable for the use they have been designed. GPS reception has been good enough to be useful for all my navigation needs. Even during my trip to Europe about a week ago I fired it up in the airplane to see where we were... It did took a good 5 minutes to get a fix but considering the airplane conditions that is quite good performance? No?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Even during my trip to Europe about a week ago I fired it up in the airplane to see where we were... It did took a good 5 minutes to get a fix but considering the airplane conditions that is quite good performance? No?
*gasp* You used your GPS in an airplane?!? What were you thinking!? You could have caused the plane to crash!!! [/sarcasm]

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
*gasp* You used your GPS in an airplane?!? What were you thinking!? You could have caused the plane to crash!!! [/sarcasm]
Well... GPS doesn't transmit anything. It just receives signal. Most airlines do allow GPS use in the plane.

There are some old thread here that discusses this topic... don't have the time to search it for now.

Hence the [/sarcasm]...

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qole View Post
EDIT: Jayonthabeat: install Ubuntu. That's your best bet for a "just-works" Linux.
No, that's mandriva, ubuntu is just a wannabe compared to mandriva, though it has a way better marketing machine

Last edited by luca; 2009-04-04 at 08:28.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
....even though now that i read omega's ... and those funny reviews there's some faint memory from the darkest vaults of my brain:

when i got my first tablet, i wasn't particularly impressed, either. i'd expected a more pda-like device. i thought: wtf? no pim? no calendar? no way to read word attachments i recieve in mails? ...?

only after a while i found that the tablet wasn't built to be what i'd expected.... and i hadn't expected a device like the tablet because this whole concept was so new.

eventually i got used to integrating the tablet into my life and at some point found out it fundamentaly changed the way i use the internet.
i remember this when i read some negative reviews. these reviews reflect pretty much my original impressions... it shows that you can't write a review after really using the device the way it was intended.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
This thread has ran its course. Let's move on. Thanks.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive