Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Rijswijk
Hi all,

I have searched this forum for issues concerning sluggish streaming video playback performance on the N810. Mostly I found users rather happy with YouTube performance or other sites...but I am not happy at all.

I have sluggish performance on different YouTube videos, bad or good quality. Also, I streamed a few movies from Gametrailers.com. All streamed videos play back with lots of hickups and/or bad frames per second.

My WIFI connection is a 4 Mbit ADSL connection and using divers internet speed measurements sites, I get around 400 Kb per second download speed. Isn't that bad at all I suppose?

Who has suggestions on this one or must I accept this quality of stremaing video playback?

Thx

PS: audio / internet streaming radio quality/speed is fine!

Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Hi all,

I have searched this forum for issues concerning sluggish streaming video playback performance on the N810. Mostly I found users rather happy with YouTube performance or other sites...but I am not happy at all.

I have sluggish performance on different YouTube videos, bad or good quality. Also, I streamed a few movies from Gametrailers.com. All streamed videos play back with lots of hickups and/or bad frames per second.

My WIFI connection is a 4 Mbit ADSL connection and using divers internet speed measurements sites, I get around 400 Kb per second download speed. Isn't that bad at all I suppose?

Who has suggestions on this one or must I accept this quality of stremaing video playback?

Thx

PS: audio / internet streaming radio quality/speed is fine!
Really and truly the flash video performance is just barely acceptable. I'd wager its around 10-15 fps at the most. the Nx00 is barely capable of local 400x240 playback. I don't think we'll see good playback until the next generation of tablets. Thankfully, we can be sure of it, as we know the OMAP roadmap has very powerful processors in the near future.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
the Nx00 is barely capable of local 400x240 playback.
"Barely"? I routinely play stuff in the mid-500px horizontal range with no trouble at all.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Rijswijk
no trouble at all? evey streaming vid i tried (no matter what type wmv or flash) it's all sluggish...

no trouble at all? evey streaming vid i tried (no matter what type wmv or flash) it's all sluggish...
Because you're streaming. Network transfers cost CPU.

You need to check with your ISP. I have an awful ISP (AT&T/SBC), but on my 1.5Mbit DSL connection, my download speed (tested with speedtest.net) is 1200kbps. You are only getting 400kbps on a line that's suppose to be 3 times faster than mine. It seems odd.

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because you're streaming. Network transfers cost CPU.
It's not a matter of CPU as such: network transfer wouldn't be too much pain, per se.

The problem comes from several factors, probably the most notable one is that preemption is not enabled (and most likely hell will break loose if you try to run a kernel with preemption enabled).

When playback of streamed data is performed, the data is cached locally (to mmc, iirc) and that prevents smooth playback.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
"Barely"? I routinely play stuff in the mid-500px horizontal range with no trouble at all.
Every video I play, at whatever resolution or bitrate (and I only play locally stored videos!), will occasionally stutter for a fraction of a second. After the tenth time, this inevitably becomes annoying and I find myself, rather than watching the video, looking for the next hang.

In fairness, with every new version of Serge's excellentissimo port of Mplayer the stutter becomes "rarer and rarer" (to paraphrase Alice). It's still there though, even with rc25.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Every video I play, at whatever resolution or bitrate (and I only play locally stored videos!), will occasionally stutter for a fraction of a second. After the tenth time, this inevitably becomes annoying and I find myself, rather than watching the video, looking for the next hang.
You're still on OS2007, right?

Originally Posted by igor View Post
It's not a matter of CPU as such: network transfer wouldn't be too much pain, per se.
The wifi driver is particularly inefficient, so it sucks enough cycles that videos that would normally play fine locally don't get enough horsepower to do so when played from the network.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-03-02 at 22:48.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
[quote=GeneralAntilles;150221]You're still on OS2007, right?

Obviously:

http://cs.gmu.edu/~sean/stuff/n800/os2008/

http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/nokia/index.html