Active Topics

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
I could disassemble a PCB of one of my appliances and take a pic?

EDIT:
https://i.imgur.com/PsFi8js.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/27sdL6Q.jpg

Wow the camera quality is dogshit, it's on the level of my N900 if not only slightly better. The camera's software being garbage doesn't help either. (no shutter sound? wtf?!)
Just because the macrophoto performance is not impressive does not mean the camera is bad, or similar to that of an older phone. A lot of the impression depends on the minimal focus distance, which is by no means a characteristic that evolved in one direction or the other over the last ten years. And as said earlier, good lighting is crucial to compare performance, unless the aim is to test low-light performance specifically, but that would require controlling all other parameters.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-11-24 at 07:32.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
I don't understand why you are hitting on the guy just cause he said his opinion. He didn't bash before getting the device, he didn't ask for a refund, he didn't even blame anyone.
Anyway, you saw the photo quality. If you like it and it's enough for you, go for it.
The rest can have their own opinion.
If my comments were taken as an assault, I apologize!
That was never my intention. Especially because I can understand @Wasmachinemann-NL very good: If you would ask ME what is the better car, comparing an old air cooled Porsche 911 with a modern 911. I would without any hesitation choose the old air cooled one.
Just because this car has hart and soul. Driving it brings you a lot more adrenaline than driving a 2019 model. Because it's harder to drive, it's just you and the car. No electronic helpers.
BUT anyway, being objective: The faster and better sportscar is the new one. Even so I don't like it and I would at any time prefer the old
one.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
I don't understand why you are hitting on the guy just cause he said his opinion. He didn't bash before getting the device, he didn't ask for a refund, he didn't even blame anyone.
Anyway, you saw the photo quality. If you like it and it's enough for you, go for it.
The rest can have their own opinion.
Because he placed the blame on the device, when the blame was on everything else. Low-light produces terrible pictures, except if you have extremely high end cameras. Any phone camera just not have the sensor size to work great in low-light, and will produce bad grainy pictures in such a situation. I don't see how uneducated and wrong claims are any better than asking for a refund or any other things that have been decreed as "terrible" on here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
If my comments were taken as an assault, I apologize!
That was never my intention. Especially because I can understand @Wasmachinemann-NL very good: If you would ask ME what is the better car, comparing an old air cooled Porsche 911 with a modern 911. I would without any hesitation choose the old air cooled one.
Just because this car has hart and soul. Driving it brings you a lot more adrenaline than driving a 2019 model. Because it's harder to drive, it's just you and the car. No electronic helpers.
BUT anyway, being objective: The faster and better sportscar is the new one. Even so I don't like it and I would at any time prefer the old
one.

You definitely don't have to apologize to anyone and I wasn't mentioning you, just the general negativity washmachine man received for saying his opinion!

Originally Posted by Shirabe View Post
Because he placed the blame on the device, when the blame was on everything else. Low-light produces terrible pictures, except if you have extremely high end cameras. Any phone camera just not have the sensor size to work great in low-light, and will produce bad grainy pictures in such a situation. I don't see how uneducated and wrong claims are any better than asking for a refund or any other things that have been decreed as "terrible" on here.
Yes, you can't compare with a good dslr with a huge lens at night. But you can compare phone cameras with other phone cameras.
Did you have a note 10 / iPhone 11 / pixel 4 / OP7P / P30P and checked the quality at night? You will be amazed my friend.
And I'm just mentioning the above because they are older and at the same price point (give or take).
Anyway, my point was always that this phone is all about hwkb, other OS'es and not camera performance etc. Knowing that, i will not judge anything else other than build quality, software optimization and hwkb implementation. But that doesn't mean that camera or something else is on par with every other phone, just because there are better dedicated cameras out there!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
But you can compare phone cameras with other phone cameras.
Did you have a note 10 / iPhone 11 / pixel 4 / OP7P / P30P and checked the quality at night? You will be amazed my friend.
And I'm saying that in the same conditions the picture quality of those phones would probably be similar, namely bad. Sure there are probably good shots from those phones at night, but they'd be taken with different conditions like a more steady base or not extremely close to something, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Thank you.
I think it is not bad at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
It is also not sharp anyway
Do please quit try making sharp pictures of a PCB. Or indeed any macro with any camera whatsoever.
Physics won't allow ...

The trick is using focus stacking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AardDevil For This Useful Post:
And I'm saying that in the same conditions the picture quality of those phones would probably be similar, namely bad. Sure there are probably good shots from those phones at night, but they'd be taken with different conditions like a more steady base or not extremely close to something, etc.
Yes - all phones have a relatively small sensor, but most importantly, a really small len or lens.

These sensors have their own sensitivity and this sensitivity (I mean gain) can be adjusted a bit - the higher the gain, the higher the noise is - and other than the sensor, the amount of light coming to sensor is what matters.

As all of these phones have relatively small camera holes, the amount of light is very limited. On professional cameras, there is a large objective (lens system) which collects a large amount of light into the sensor.
Then it is much easier to play with aperture and exposure times and the gain of the sensor.
Thus, depth of field can be also adjusted to make desired images.

So a phone's camera has limited possibilities to work with. It doesn't mean it is unable to make photos in darker environment, I think Pro1 has similar abilities like other phones.

Also, there are applications where some parameters can be given to make some special photos also with a phones.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AardDevil View Post
Do please quit try making sharp pictures of a PCB. Or indeed any macro with any camera whatsoever.
Physics won't allow ...

The trick is using focus stacking.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking
That is an interesting technique, but I was not speaking about having sharp images in different depths but the ability to properly set the focus.

My Moto G6 can not do this well but I saw phones which can. I currently don't know how good Pro1 in it, but it seems it can also take reasonably good photos of that subject.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
I'm sorry but I disagree.
The gap between them and the pro1 is literally day and night to my eyes.

The Following User Says Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit