Posts: 52 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Northeast USA
I for one hope they don't add a cellular module to the internet tablet... I think the whole point (at least for me) is to divorce the large display and robust internet experience from the phone... this allows me to carry a much smaller phone as all it needs is bT and fast network.... I like being able to uncouple my data device from my cellphone provider.... I can replace my cellphone or replace my tablet independant of each other....

I know for many having one ubiquitous device is the ideal solution but for me, I have no need for an internet tablet at work as I am surrounded by computers... so having a large device on my belt is dead weight, I just want the smallest phone possible... but when I travel and don't have computer access, I want the option of having a large screened data capable device with me...

Frankly if a new tablet is released that requires a data plan, I probably wouldn't buy it, as it would have to work with my carrier and I'd have to wait for them to support it, etc. Most people who have the n800 are using DUN over bluetooth thru their cellphones... if the cellular radio is in the tablet, the cost will go up as you are no longer tethering the device, but instead using wireless broadband... it's the difference between having a smartphone like the treo or blackberry versus having a ev-do or hsdpa radio in your laptop... that maps to about 20$ difference every month by most american carriers.

I just want software/UI enhancements maybe a new device with faste rcpu, better camera & display... but please, keep the cellphone separate

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I couldn't agree more Doc, it's one of the main reasons why I got the IT over something like a HTC TyTn(8525) or a Blackberry type device with a separate data plan. For one phone mfgs seem to think or make these things disposable so literally after weeks or months you've signed a 2+yr contract and gotten a megga phone then it'll either die or become unusable/out of date then you've got to pay for your own phone from here on out until your contract is out. So the less crap crammed into a phone and the more into my tablet the better I guess, I just kinda wished that they would get a little more shelf life then a year out of the IT N series as it seems to be sounding.

I currently have a HTC phone as well... I'm looking to replace it now... I like having much more options as the n800 takes up the slack for my smartphone needs.... I am debating still getting a smartphone, but a much more compact one... specifically for my slinbox client though... I really like having access to all of my media when traveling... especially my PVR content and my 400 disc DVD changer.... a slingplayer client on the nokia n800 would be amazing... but I'm not holding my breath.

One more thing I add to my list (on page 14):

e) Multiple sizes models. Once you understand an Internet Tablet/Phone extension is not another way to name a Palm-like agenda and you understand that an Internet Tablet is not necessarily something you always bring around then it becomes clear that a tiny device is not necessarily the best option.

It may have to be something that is much easier to carry/buy that a notebook PC but it doesn't necessary have to compete with a BlackBerry, because some people is having it at home.

So my take is: make the N802. Same hardware except for the screen. Make it a little bit bigger. Say you do it the size of Startrek Enterprise units. Probably bigger dots, similar resolution (800x800).

As I told you, exactly the same hardware. Probably an sligly bigger battery, but not too much because the weight is going to be a very important factor. Maybe a couple of speakers a litle bit more powerful so you don't have to plug them anyplace when cooking.

That's a wining device. Same that N800 but for the people that don't need to get blind using it, because they don't carry it arround in their pockets.

Developement price: Zero. It only differs in the case and the screen from N800.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
Whatever it may be - please, oh please, let there be a TRANSFLECTIVE screen!

....just had to throw in my 2 cents for the record....

I'm at the point I just want to know when, more so than what....

Originally Posted by docnesh View Post
I'm at the point I just want to know when, more so than what....
I'm actually quite happy with the way mine performs now. I get good video, good audio, decent web (don't really care about youtube, so...), GPE does what I need, etc. When isn't really even an issue (for me).

Skype is nice, I suppose, but I'm already quite productive right now without it. Anything else is greatly appreciated, but nothing is stopping me from enjoying the N800 now.

R.
==

I must be missing something, I am not sure how to get GPE installed... I would love to get basic PIM functionality... I haven't had good luck with GPE... not sure what components I need.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
Do you have all the bora comp apps installed ?

Hi,

I would like to see the N800 have a data cellular connection. I live in a suburb of Phila. and don't have a lot of WIFI connections. I would not use it as a phone. It would be nice to be able to make a internet connection with one device where there are no WIFI connections.

Just my opinion!

Joe O