Originally Posted by qole View Post
I bought the N9 for my wife, who isn't really a techie, and as such I haven't messed around with it. It is pretty much stock. The last thing I want to do is give her a phone and then bork it with all sorts of hacks.

I do all of my testing on my N950.

Is the kernel different? If so, have you determined how it differs?
The kernel (along with most other things) is the same - there's just a few changes in the auxiliary packages.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I would like to confirm what are the differences between the 3 open mode kernels for MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan PR1.2 :

- from javispedro & joerg_rw in Maemo.Cloud-7.de, I think it was the 1st one and most used;

- from nieldk, I think it is almost the same above;

- from NITDroid N9 (Android 4.0.3 ICS), with dual boot and specific to N9.

On Nokia N9, once in open mode kernel, can I replace only the (open mode) kernel with another one without consequences (need to reflash firmware) ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-03-24 at 00:50.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
of course. same with just flashing kernel.
just maybe need to delete all hidden folders from /home/user after this.

Is there any chance to dual-boot nitroid with the kernel from javispedro and joerg_rw (thanks btw). Or do I need the kernel from the nitroid forum (with the disadvantages of losing passwords on startup, etc.)

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the nitroid bootloader just use a script to parse the harmattan/nitroid init to an already loaded kernel? (meaning there's only one kernel installed on the system and it's the nitroid one, also used in harmattan)

Last edited by YavkatA; 2012-03-27 at 15:38.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
You can certainly switch from one kernel to other. Regarding NITDroid kernel, I don't know what it exactly is; it is probably similar to the vanilla kernel that I provided a few pages ago.

The only difference between all of them is how powerful the root user is.

With vanilla kernel, root is as powerless as under closed mode, so you have to install opensh, use AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN, aegisctl, etc. to increase your privileges.
With the "openmode" kernel (the name is not appropriate; _every_ kernel triggers openmode, it's just that the "openmode" kernel is potentially the most easy to use) root is root. A lot of Aegis checks are disabled in the kernel, and therefore root can do virtually anything, as in any standard GNU system.

To fix the "I can't remember passwords" and a bunch of other problems, the best solution is to fully reflash and then flash the new kernel before booting the device.
There are other methods, but since for sure you will need to reflash if you ever want to get out of openmode, I suggest this as to ensure that you have mastered flasher before even trying to flash the openmode kernel.

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-03-27 at 15:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
I succesfully flashed your "open mode" kernel and all is working fine. I'm little concerned to flash some other kernel. Therefore I was asking if I have to flash another kernel or if I can just install sillyboot and the nitroid image.

Maybe I will just give it a try...

Edit: Ok, I tried it first with the "talk.maemo.org"-kernel, but after pressing the Vol-Up Key at startup the phone reboots without booting to andriod. After flashing the nitroid-kernel it boots to android.

Last edited by MrBlueSky; 2012-03-27 at 17:05.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
OT, but anyone know about this
http://www.wpcentral.com/wp7-root-tools-09-here-sdk-tow
http://www.wp7roottools.com/
This is still nowhere near the type of access we have in Maemo6x right?

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
OT, but anyone know about this
http://www.wpcentral.com/wp7-root-tools-09-here-sdk-tow
http://www.wp7roottools.com/
This is still nowhere near the type of access we have in Maemo6x right?
Nope - it looks like WP7 Root Tools is just a GUI for a tiny subset of the sort of access one has with the Harmattan terminal. Also, in order to use it, one needs to "interop unlock" the phone, which appears to be a lot more difficult than e.g. INCEPTION and isn't yet possible on the Lumia.

WP7 definitely seems like the wrong way to go for anyone wanting to hack on the system at all.

Dunno if this been posted but for the reeneter password problem with nitdroid kernel use this:

Method without re-flashing:
delete these 3 folders

/home/user/.accounts/
/home/user/.activesync/
/home/.aegis/

Reboot phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper_swe For This Useful Post:

Tags
aegis, open kinda