Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
TheKit:

I am following this as I also have a Moto Z Play.
I would like to help as much as I can, but I do not have much programming skills.
Generally porting skills and programming skills are two different things.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I have not done either one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I have not done either one.
That's OK, everybody needs to start from the beginning; it's the will to learn that counts

Generally (what I consider) necessary skills in porting are pretty much debugging skills; most if not all of the needed pieces of software are already there and it is pretty much checking what does not work and figuring out why.
After that all that is needed is inserting/removing/changing something pretty trivial to remove the problem.

Most difficult thing is to understand how the build comes together; how the MER build system and libhybris interact and how the final filesystem image is created.
Reading and understanding the HADK is the way to start; https://sailfishos.org/wp-content/up...tKit-1.1.2.pdf
Also, the most valuable interactive resource is channel #sailfishos-porters on freenet.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I have installed custom or after market firmwares, such as DDWRT on to Linksys wifi routers before. So I am hoping it is similar.

I just do not like the thought of paying $400 for a phone then bricking it....

And many thanks for the link to the pdf document. I have saved it to my PC and have started reading.

Question: Can I do a dual boot of Android and Sailfish or will this be Sailfish only?

Eventually I would love to dump Android.

Last edited by ka9yhd; 2017-08-08 at 20:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Question: Can I do a dual boot of Android and Sailfish or will this be Sailfish only?
No actual dual boot, but switching is more or less easy (reflashing boot partition only). However, you need decrypted userdata partition and custom Android ROM (either LineageOS or patched stock) without "forceencrypt" for /data.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Hello TheKit

Could this work on Moto Z2 Play? The Z2 play uses a Snapdragon 626 which is described as an overclocked 625 with a bit more ram. The GPU is the same.

I recently broke my J1 and am considering a Z2 Play.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to TJKao For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TJKao View Post
Hello TheKit

Could this work on Moto Z2 Play? The Z2 play uses a Snapdragon 626 which is described as an overclocked 625 with a bit more ram. The GPU is the same.

I recently broke my J1 and am considering a Z2 Play.

Thanks
Hello. Unlikely, since it's a newer device and came with Android 7.1.1, while this port is based on LineageOS 13 for now (which is effectively Android 6).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
I did a stupid thing... but now I have a smartphone, again!

Anyhow, putting in my headphones doesn't work, might still be a bug?

Otherwise the experience is very interesting. Will report on battery life, although I didn't put in a sim yet. Gotta get a nanosim first...

EDIT: battery life is incredible, and the headphones are hardware, not software related.

Can confirm that dual sim works perfectly too.

Last edited by rubdos; 2017-08-17 at 11:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubdos For This Useful Post:
@TheKit: you want me to test anything on dual sim? Feel free to reply through IRC.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubdos For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rubdos View Post
EDIT: battery life is incredible, and the headphones are hardware, not software related.
Can confirm that dual sim works perfectly too.
Now that is very good news!
Many thanks for testing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post: