Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Did you try what thedead1440 told you here?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
jalyst,

Please add to your OP the instructions on what to do after flashing open mode kernel:

Openmode - Removing Aegis mounts:
Code:
$ rm -fr /home/user/.aegis
$ rm -rf /home/user/.accounts
$ rm -rf /home/user/.activesync
# mkdir /root/certs.bak
# cp /etc/ssl/certs /root/certs.bak
# rm /etc/aegisfs.d/*.* && /sbin/reboot
# mv /root/certs.bak/*.* /etc/ssl/certs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
No, don't do that. Every method to “clear the aegisfs mounts” that I've read has been more stupid than the previous one. Remove the aegia mounts and you will get weird bugs ranging from slow GPS locks to higher battery usage (because of processes crashing repeteadly in the background). My N950 has been aegis-less for a while (removed from the kernel and userspace libs) and there are plenty of randomly placed calls to Aegis that will fail if you do the above.

Just reflash, dammit. Its not that hard and you do not have to do anything afterwards.

If you really want to avoid reflashing, at least use apscli. But then, please, don't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Remove the aegia mounts and you will get weird bugs ranging from slow GPS locks to higher battery usage (because of processes crashing repeteadly in the background).
Ah now that you mention it I vaguely do recall all that...

My N950 has been aegis-less for a while (removed from the kernel and userspace libs) & there are plenty of randomly placed calls to Aegis that will fail if you do the above.
Care to review the OP & confirm that the entire process is in-line with your entire approach?

Just reflash, dammit. Its not that hard and you do not have to do anything afterwards.
If you really want to avoid reflashing, at least use apscli. But then, please, don't.
I'll update the OP accordingly soon... Thanks.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
There is no need to remove clear aegis mounts, you can have fully working aegis also in open mode (as long as you don't follow bad instructions).
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
No, don't do that. Every method to “clear the aegisfs mounts” that I've read has been more stupid than the previous one. Remove the aegia mounts and you will get weird bugs ranging from slow GPS locks to higher battery usage (because of processes crashing repeteadly in the background). My N950 has been aegis-less for a while (removed from the kernel and userspace libs) and there are plenty of randomly placed calls to Aegis that will fail if you do the above.

does anyone have a reasonable way to backup and restore accounts for email?

the database is simple and the structure is straightforward. backing it up {either by copying the db or dumping the relevant tables to csv/etc}, reflashing firmware+emmc+kernel, restoring the db, removing the aegis mount points, and restoring it actually works sometimes.

the other half, it either prompts for the passwords at each reboot, or it does this weird thing where it prompts for the username and email constantly, and then no matter what you enter, it doesnt work. both problems do not go away unless you remove the aegis mount points and account dir, and manually re-enter the accounts.

this is literally the only manual restore task i have to do when i reflash.

i understand that this may sound over-the-top whiny, but its important to me, as part of my system for managing my computers.

to illustrate how the no-accounts-restore is a needle in my eye, i wrote you a novel:

this is my restore process:
1) reflash, enable dev mode, devel-su -c passwd user
2) restore.sh from my laptop
3) type in my 6 stupid email accounts by hand

i manage my phone config and data from my laptop. when i install a package, i add it to my package-installer script or my folder of debs, and then run package-installer. next time i reflash, that package is installed automatically.
i backup my SMS and phone call log nightly, in plaintext, using smsbackuprestore. when i reflash, i automatically pop the last 30 days of texts and calls on, keeping everything on my laptop.
i also sync my DCIM, contacts, music library, swype dictionary, qtodos, and pidgin logs nightly with my laptop.

restore.sh handles restoring that stuff, and everything else {vkb, desktop launcher arrangement, drive settings/cities, gconfs, meecast, lpsmagic....} and i STILL have to avoid reflashing because of the goddamn email accounts.

i do the same exact thing with my laptop, my n900, my ddwrt router, and my raspberry pi, knowing if i lost one of them tragically, im less than an hour from full recovery after replacement, without having to store giant backups of file systems.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
does anyone have a reasonable way to backup and restore accounts for email?

the other half, it either prompts for the passwords at each reboot, or it does this weird thing where it prompts for the username and email constantly, and then no matter what you enter, it doesnt work. both problems do not go away unless you remove the aegis mount points and account dir, and manually re-enter the accounts.
If you re-create accounts aegis stores by using openmode keys. it remembers the passwords accross reboots.

What goes to backup and restore, if you use backup&restore framework with opensh capabilities from shellscript you can also restore email accounts without any problems.

I always have aegis fully running when beeing in open mode, and I have everything working without problems. Stock kernel with AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN export does miracles
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-03-04 at 21:20.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
If you re-create accounts aegis stores by using openmode keys. it remembers the passwords accross reboots.

What goes to backup and restore, if you use backup&restore framework with opensh capabilities from shellscript you can also restore email accounts without any problems.

I always have aegis fully running when beeing in open mode, and I have everything working without problems. Stock kernel with AEGIS_FIXED_ORIGIN export does miracles
thanks for your response! sorry, its not quite what im talking about.

1) everyone has aegis working correctly in openmode, unless they flashed the kernel without flashing emmc+fw, or removed certain aegis mountpoints. {and i already alias dpkg and apt-get with afo=nokia.}

2) ovi backup&restore framework is manual, and its thick.
it dumps an inscrutable binary and does not permit incremental adjustments.
however, i didnt know that there was a CLI api for it {i thought you had to use a gui tool.}
im going to investigate whether it can be configured to backup/restore ONLY accounts, and leave packages and sms to me. if it can, this is still a step up from manually entering it.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:

Tags
aegis, open kinda