Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by elcaito View Post
Thanks TexRat. Any comments on the pictures I posted in my original post above? Where should I solder and where should I.place a drop of epoxy? Thanks again.
For some reason I can't see the pictures. Maybe blocked by the hackathon network I'm currently on.

Someone posted a very useful how-to SOMEwhere in this thread that should help. It's a pain to find but a joy to behold.

In a nutshell, you want a tiny drop of epoxy under the bottom of the connector. Make sure the PCB and connector are clean. As for solder, you need to solder the usb contacts to the corresponding pads on the PCB. This will not be easy (I failed on one device). You'll need to mask off the PCB real estate between the pads to prevent creating a short-circuit. This is precision work not for the faint of heart.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Good to see you here again Texrat

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Pakistan
i bought N900 from my friend.
after some days accidentally, the Charging port broken.
i will try to fix it. but it break with the board prints.
i checked it to mechanic but he also told me that it is not able to fix.
it is very difficult to charge it.
i want to copy of my all data i.e. photos and vdoz of my daughter.
the memory fill upto 25 GB almost.

it has also an error when i save or shoot photos:
"Memory not accessible. Unable to save content".

my Question:
1- can i use it without battery.
because when i use PC suit to copy all data, the battery will fun down during synchronized period.
2- how i can fix the memory error/or update it.

Regards.
Shery

The Following User Says Thank You to Shery878 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Shery878 View Post
when i use PC suit to copy all data, the battery will fun down during synchronized period
The way I read it is that you can still copy data with the USB cable, but not charge.

I do not know your exact situation so I cannot tell you exactly what to do.
With some assumptions based on your description, I would:
  1. Charge the battery outside the phone. You can use a universal charger like this. (There are hundreds of similar or better ones, this was just the first hit I found.)
  2. Get an SD card and copy your data onto it. Use the built-in File Manager. I had bad experience copying large amount of data with anything else - the watchdog timer can kick in and reboot the phone. File Manager avoids that problem. Then get the SD card out and copy your data from it using an SD card reader.
  3. OR, if copying through USB works, use USB.
  4. Whether you use an SD card or USB, I would watch the battery status and when it gets too low, stop the copying and go back to step 1.
  5. Once all the data is safely copied, format the internal memory. A long press in File Manager offers the "Format" option.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Hamburg
Hi,
my N900 never had any problems charging. But this changed yesterday.

The following happens:
- I plugin in the usb cable. Maemo popup says charger connected. Inside the battery simbol the green is moving upwards. The orange LED is flashing
- After four or five flash (after locking the phone) the flashing stops
- The led flashes in red in a short period and hardly noticable
- Testing different chargers and charging while connected to the PC does not work
- Somehow the battery(s) drained even more. One does not even show the short Nokia logo when plugging in (phone off). The other does an endless loop of Nokia logo going to charge then back to Nokia logo (incl. short vibrate).
- There seems to be no charging done at all.

So has my usb port finaly broke?
Or did both batteries that I own die at the same time?
What does the red flashing mean?

Thx!

The Following User Says Thank You to sirvival For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
It could be the BME is acting flakey, try doing the BME reset as the BME thinks it knows your capacity and might be acting wonky or has an error value.

It does NOT sound like the broken USB issue( I have had this with 2 N900s) as nothing will happen at all except maybe when you wiggle the cable right, and that only the first few times.

BME re-calibrate:
-In terminal type(dont remember if you need gainroot or sudo, I think not)
Code:
gconftool-2 -s -t int /apps/osso/status-area-applet-battery/use_design_capacity 0
Above saves lot of frustration with getting completely BS values posing as correct, when battery gauge is not calibrated (at all 0 like, lost calibration data due to battery out of device for too long and dead bupbat).

-Reboot
-charge to green light
-let run until battery dies(battery is now calibrated, dont rush or you will end up having to redo, last few hundred mA should be spent with backlight , CPU, and things like WiFi off)

Last edited by biketool; 2017-08-26 at 18:04.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Hi,
thx. That did the trick!

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Did you need to su?

I always use root. I know probably not the best way. So I can not say if it works without root priviieges.

Looks like the USB port on my beloved N900 has finally failed. Its been flaky for a while but as of now it wont recognize the phone at all.

When I run flasher and its sitting at the "waiting for USB device" prompt and I then plug in the phone I get is a NOKIA logo on a darkened screen with a USB logo in the corner for 2 seconds. Based on what I see the device doing and what I see looking at the port physically it looks like some of the pins are making contact but others (the important ones) aren't meaning I cant get Flasher to talk to it at all.

This wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't for the fact that my phone is also stuck in a kernel-level boot-loop (best I could tell before the USB port gave up the ghost is that the kernel cant load any of its modules which then leads to all the userspace system daemons that need those modules not loading which leads to watchdogs kicking in and powering down/cycling the device. I do have backup-menu installed but the boot issues are low-level enough to prevent even that from being able to start up properly.(and due to not having a MicroSD card, the backup-menu backup I made earlier is trapped on my EMMC and I didn't have the chance to copy it off to my PC so I dont even have a backup)

How this happened I dont know other than possibly installing the wrong thing from either extras-devel or cssu-devel (perhaps somehow I ended up with one of the kernel update bits but didn't actually get the matching kernel flashed to the device, I do know at least one package I was messing with said something about kernel-feature-workaround or something)

I just bought a cheap crappy prepaid LG phone to keep me in communication with everyone I need to keep in contact with so now I can take a bit of time to figure out what to do next. I could try and get the USB port on my N900 fixed/replaced somehow although I know of nowhere in Brisbane that does small-size SMD-type soldering of the sort that would be needed and I dont have the tools or skills to do it myself (if its done damage to the traces on the board it will be even harder to fix), I could track down another N900 from somewhere and use that (although finding one in Australia would probably be hard and the shipping costs for one from Europe would probably be massive). Or I could just go and buy some other smartphone and move on.

Anyone with suggestions about what I should do next, feel free to post here or send me a PM...

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty