Well, previously the internal GPS on the N810 taking hours, yes hours mostly, I know in the house, moving location by about 25 miles...etc. vs my iTrek taking seconds or at most a few mins....I am now glad to say it seems that the Nokia A-GPS Beta (from Nokia) has improved the N810's GPS use or is it Diablo and/or Diablo and the A-GPS.......In any case...mins the last few times (Yes from the same places as previously).

Now if I could get TomTom to work I would have one (two with my cell as a back up to data connections...) awesome "all-in-one" device. No Video device, No Ipod, No GameBoy, No PDA, to carry AND sometimes no more cell phone!!!! Lost those 10 lbs (20 lbs. if you count the laptop) I keep promising I will...

Looking forward to the day when I have my "Dick Tracy" all-in-one....

Last edited by here.david; 2008-07-01 at 22:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to here.david For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yeah, it works well. It can grab the data from WLAN, but also from GPRS/UMTS. No longer have to wait for a long time for a lock

Here is all the required information http://betalabs.nokia.com/blog/2008/...beta-for-n810/ the installation was straightforward for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Wow, this is great. The GPS locked on in 20 seconds, probably the fastest I have ever experienced with the device. I'm glad Nokia actually did something about this blatant problem...

The Following User Says Thank You to apajusi For This Useful Post:
How do you actually get it to work? Do you just open agps at the same time as maps?

The Following User Says Thank You to crabolsky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
my lock times have gotten much worse ( assuming I can even get a lock ) is there some secret to making it work?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
my lock times have gotten much worse ( assuming I can even get a lock ) is there some secret to making it work?
I second that.

The Following User Says Thank You to crabolsky For This Useful Post:
I can't figure it out either. I open it, pick my spot, start GPS, but nothing ever seems to happen.

That and it doesn't have my wireless router listed in the "preferred connections" list, just the motorola cell phone. I thought it worked with WLAN too.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

The Following User Says Thank You to combatdoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
I can't figure it out either. I open it, pick my spot, start GPS, but nothing ever seems to happen.

That and it doesn't have my wireless router listed in the "preferred connections" list, just the motorola cell phone. I thought it worked with WLAN too.
Mine lists NOTHING under preferred connections ( I have BT + Wifi ). I have been unable to get a lock now ( testing ) in 20+ minutes.

Last edited by brontide; 2008-07-03 at 03:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yeah I had some problems too when I first ran it. I don't know why this happens.

On the map, you need to select the correct location near you.

If you go to the systray you can also change the settings (enable or disable a-gps).

I click on the GPS icon, location, then 'search' (or 'refresh') and with an active connection it works. You'll immediately have 10 till 12 satelites in view. That does not mean they are in use tho.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
On the map, you need to select the correct location near you.

If you go to the systray you can also change the settings (enable or disable a-gps).\
My systray GPS icon DOES NOT have enable or disable A-GPS and I have not only selected a nearby location I have also attempted using gconftool-2 to manually set the exact GPS coordinates

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:

Tags
a-gps, gps