Active Topics

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I used the following Handbrake settings successfully.

Format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (XviD)
Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)
Audio Sample rate: 44.1 kHz

The disadvantage of Handbrake is that you can't limit the maximum bitrate. In practice, playing from the SD card, you'll probably be OK but might get some skipping on high action scenes.

Tablet-encode will allow you to specify a maximum bitrate.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Banul; 2009-01-26 at 02:30.

Thanks! I'll try this out tonight.

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
I used the following Handbrake settings successfully.

Format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (XviD)
Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)

The disadvantage of Handbrake is that you can't limit the maximum bitrate. In practice, playing from the SD card, you'll probably be OK but might get some skipping on high action scenes.

Tablet-encode will allow you to specify a maximum bitrate.

Frank

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by pakyooh View Post
Has anything changed with the program? I recently switched from PC to Mac. Since Handbreak is free, I went ahead and used it to rip a copy of my dvd for tablet conversion. The final result was just blank white screen. The output file from handbrake was avi. I've also tried the mp4 but the tablet converter isn't taking it.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Not sure I understand the problem. You rip the DVD using Handbrake to an AVI file and then feed that AVI to the ITVC program and you get a blank screen? Is that correct?

Did you make sure the AVI file out of Handbrake was viewable using QuickTime first?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Sorry if it was a bit confusing but you got my question right.

I've tried the setting the was given above and it still gives me the white screen when transferred to the NIT using the media player to view. Actually, it doesn't seem to play at all. It just sits still on white screen. I tried using mplayer, the audio works but the video is stuck unless I skim through it.

After reading you comment, I tried playing the AVI file on quicktime and prompted me that I need to install some plug-ins. Will try to download those today after work and try the whole process again.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Not sure I understand the problem. You rip the DVD using Handbrake to an AVI file and then feed that AVI to the ITVC program and you get a blank screen? Is that correct?

Did you make sure the AVI file out of Handbrake was viewable using QuickTime first?

Try to have Handbrake convert to a format that QuickTime can deal with natively and life will be much easier

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Thanks again for the quick response, what would be the setting that would be usable for quicktime?

I'm using the settings given to me earlier in this thread Format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (XviD) Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)

Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Try to have Handbrake convert to a format that QuickTime can deal with natively and life will be much easier

That's the the settings for what the tablet need. Just have Handbrake rip into the most lossless format that QT can handle and let ITVC worry about it from there.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Multiple transcoding is never a good idea (quality wise).
I would suggest to validate DVD ripping using one of the iPod profiles provided with Handbrake and test the result with QT. If the result is good, it means DVD ripping is working.
Then you will have to create your own profile for N8xx.
Test it using any video file you have on your Mac. If the result fit with your expectations, then you are ready to do DVD rip with N8xx profile.

Thanks for the responses, I actually just had to download the rest of the quicktime plug-ins and it worked. I used the same settings as before.

Looks like the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter application has been "archived" by Nokia and is no longer available for download at http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Fortunately the download links for both Mac and PC at softpedia.com are still working.

I just downloaded version 0.32 and installed it on my Mac. Ran a couple of conversions, and it seems to be working fine.

Last edited by srf21c; 2009-11-21 at 03:57. Reason: found download link

The Following User Says Thank You to srf21c For This Useful Post: