Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
I'm retracting my negative comment about the Pro1: ITS AWESOME! (aside from shitdroid but whatever, Maemo Leste will fix it)

Now if only I could find a notes app like osso-notes (dark theme, preferably FOSS so google & co don't read my inane ramblings and other BS) it'll be the N900 successor for me!
I was going to recommend this, https://github.com/pbek/QOwnNotes

But it doesn't run on android, you could try this one maybe https://f-droid.org/packages/org.aykit.MyOwnNotes/

Glade your more happy with your purchase.

x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Thanks for sharing that correction Moses . You could also figure out how to just reset your devices. I had to do this before. Annoying but easily fixed, unlike those loud audio turnoff/off connected sounds

x

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
HDMI output works also trough Lumia dock

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:

Same spots after the OTA update - Vignette effect is gone.

Also added those two to review post

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Did the update this morning. Still have some strange freezing issue, which mostly happens when you swipe an app to "multitasking screen" (as Android's multitasking is a joke), but you know the screen where you can switch between open apps. Sometimes when you swipe from an app to multitasking screen, the app doesn't succesfully drop, but even the app gets minimized, it's window stays active. So if you for example had some scrollable page open in that app, you can continue scrolling when the app gets minimized. Also the app window area stays active so the screen doesn't detect touching/tapping the screen outside of the minimized app window. This happens quite often and takes annoyingly long (5-10sec) until the app succesfully drops to multitasking screen and screen starts to act normally. Hard to explain but I hope you could catch the idea.

I have also tried to find osso-notes style app, but haven't find it yet. Although you said somewhere that you write a lot, which means you're perhaps looking for a different app than me. I'd like to have a simple app to write down simple things I should remember. For example I tend to write down tools/accessories/spare parts what I should remember to buy before I go to my VW T3 garage for next time. So I'd possibly be happy with a notes widget with few lines of writing space (and this kind of app do exist), but I'm afraid that's not you are looking for.

But smartphones typically have one flaw; they try to be too smart. Well, technically not the phones but the os/app developers. I believe I have written about that before, but an alarm clock is a good example. Old phones had a simple alarm setting: 1. on/off 2. alarm time 3. that's it. It was easy and fast. Nowadays' smartphone alarm apps try to be smart; there is multiple alarms, you can set different alarm times for different week days, like alarm at 7 on workdays and 9 on weekends. There is sleep timers, "soft wake"-option (to make a quiet alarm like 30min before actual alarm in case you would be more spry already), different naapping options and so on. I HATE all this I loved the good-old simple alarm clock, which didn't try to know what I need/want. I work in three shifts, and my every week is different. Also the shift start times are not standardized (morning shift can start at 7 or 8, evening shift can start at 12, 13, 14 or some random time between those) night shift can start at 20 or 21. Technically, it could be possible to add the shifts to the calendar app and then use some cron-based app to set an alarm time for each shift. BUT. Even on morning my wake up time depends on if I'm going to work by bike or am I gonna run (which depends on weather and my personal meh-factor ) On evening shifts it's even more complicated, because the wake up time depends on if I want to wake up early and get something done before work, or just sleep late. Basically the same with night shifts.

So there's actually no point on configuring an alarm for each day. With Sailfish/Maemo alarm clock apps I ended up having tens of different alarm time settings, like at 5.20, 5.40, 6.20, 6.40, 7, 7.30, 8, 8.30, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 18.30, 18.45, 19, 19,30, 19.45, 20.00 and so on. You'll get the idea. Just adjusting the time of an old alarm is made too complicated with all the options and setting, so it is easier to just make a new alarm. The native Android alarm clock has the same issue. Although it's easy just to modify the alarm time, the clock-a-like graphical time setting is far from being intuitive I believe I could get used to it, but still, what the hell? Why not digital clock with time setting by arrows or just inserting numbers?

The being-too-smart problem plagues the notes apps too. When you create a new note, the app asks what kind of note it is (memo, shopping list, etc), then you have to name the note and choose a color for it and set an alarm and make a widget and so on, and when you finally get the chance to write you thing, you have already forgotten what it was... The problem in trying to be to intuitive and smart, is that the app is taking control of my tasks rather than being a tool of mine. Android is the worst on this aspect, but I'd say that every OS I have used have had hints of this problem at least in some apps.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What is currently the state of LineageOS for the Pro1? Are there any ETAs?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What is currently the state of LineageOS for the Pro1? Are there any ETAs?
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/25...0-test-builds/

There are test builds not suitable for everyday use.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I'm not sure if this will help, but for those that are looking for an app to takes notes, the two I most use are called "Keep Notes" and "Notebook"

Keep Notes is easy to use and is good to make lists of things like shopping lists, expenses and so forth. You can also make entries by writing with your finger or with appropriate pen you can draw on screen with.

Notebook is set up a little differently where you create books that are placed on a grid and you select one to make entries in.

Hope that helps!

One question. How much battery drain overnight when phone is idle?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Notebook is set up a little differently where you create books that are placed on a grid and you select one to make entries in.
Hmm, might try that. Sounds like exactly what I need!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Did the update this morning. Still have some strange freezing issue, which mostly happens when you swipe an app to "multitasking screen" (as Android's multitasking is a joke), but you know the screen where you can switch between open apps. Sometimes when you swipe from an app to multitasking screen, the app doesn't succesfully drop, but even the app gets minimized, it's window stays active. So if you for example had some scrollable page open in that app, you can continue scrolling when the app gets minimized. Also the app window area stays active so the screen doesn't detect touching/tapping the screen outside of the minimized app window. This happens quite often and takes annoyingly long (5-10sec) until the app succesfully drops to multitasking screen and screen starts to act normally. Hard to explain but I hope you could catch the idea.

I have also tried to find osso-notes style app, but haven't find it yet. Although you said somewhere that you write a lot, which means you're perhaps looking for a different app than me. I'd like to have a simple app to write down simple things I should remember. For example I tend to write down tools/accessories/spare parts what I should remember to buy before I go to my VW T3 garage for next time. So I'd possibly be happy with a notes widget with few lines of writing space (and this kind of app do exist), but I'm afraid that's not you are looking for.

But smartphones typically have one flaw; they try to be too smart. Well, technically not the phones but the os/app developers. I believe I have written about that before, but an alarm clock is a good example. Old phones had a simple alarm setting: 1. on/off 2. alarm time 3. that's it. It was easy and fast. Nowadays' smartphone alarm apps try to be smart; there is multiple alarms, you can set different alarm times for different week days, like alarm at 7 on workdays and 9 on weekends. There is sleep timers, "soft wake"-option (to make a quiet alarm like 30min before actual alarm in case you would be more spry already), different naapping options and so on. I HATE all this I loved the good-old simple alarm clock, which didn't try to know what I need/want. I work in three shifts, and my every week is different. Also the shift start times are not standardized (morning shift can start at 7 or 8, evening shift can start at 12, 13, 14 or some random time between those) night shift can start at 20 or 21. Technically, it could be possible to add the shifts to the calendar app and then use some cron-based app to set an alarm time for each shift. BUT. Even on morning my wake up time depends on if I'm going to work by bike or am I gonna run (which depends on weather and my personal meh-factor ) On evening shifts it's even more complicated, because the wake up time depends on if I want to wake up early and get something done before work, or just sleep late. Basically the same with night shifts.

So there's actually no point on configuring an alarm for each day. With Sailfish/Maemo alarm clock apps I ended up having tens of different alarm time settings, like at 5.20, 5.40, 6.20, 6.40, 7, 7.30, 8, 8.30, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 18.30, 18.45, 19, 19,30, 19.45, 20.00 and so on. You'll get the idea. Just adjusting the time of an old alarm is made too complicated with all the options and setting, so it is easier to just make a new alarm. The native Android alarm clock has the same issue. Although it's easy just to modify the alarm time, the clock-a-like graphical time setting is far from being intuitive I believe I could get used to it, but still, what the hell? Why not digital clock with time setting by arrows or just inserting numbers?

The being-too-smart problem plagues the notes apps too. When you create a new note, the app asks what kind of note it is (memo, shopping list, etc), then you have to name the note and choose a color for it and set an alarm and make a widget and so on, and when you finally get the chance to write you thing, you have already forgotten what it was... The problem in trying to be to intuitive and smart, is that the app is taking control of my tasks rather than being a tool of mine. Android is the worst on this aspect, but I'd say that every OS I have used have had hints of this problem at least in some apps.
Just so much +1 (and this also applies to PC software incl. even compiler, e.g. C# 'trying' to guess best reference (spoiling solution for others) instead using configured one and possibly fail

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit