Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
I had no problem asking Chen about Sailfish. Chen said he would talk with the engineers.
Please read my reply posted further in the thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
After reading the posts about the screen size and AMOLED, I've realized something: Are you guys living in a cave!?

Like seriously.... Haven't you guys seen any device with an AMOLED screen before!? And about the screen ratio as well....

Seems like you guys are stuck in the past.... It's almost 2019..!
Pardon my ignorance and/or naivety, but would you care to explain what your objections actually... you know... like... ARE?

Are you saying that it is ridiculous to expect a fancy technology like AMOLED in 2019 when everything is made as a cheap rubbish meant to be thrown away after 6 months? And that expecting quality is akin to "living in a cave"? Is that it? I seriously cannot come up with any other interpretation, however hard I try.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Will the AMOLED be sunlight readable like the N900's transflective screen?
The real sunlight readable smartphones are those with an additional e-ink display like yotaphone2 and 3 which by the way, can be routed. The battery saving on e-ink displays is measured in weeks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
E-inks are great. I would pay extra for an option to have an e-ink only. No LCD, no OLED, just e-ink. (Or two: one as the screen and one under a transparent keyboard dome sheet for an easily reconfigurable keyboard.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
The real sunlight readable smartphones are those with an additional e-ink display like yotaphone2 and 3 which by the way, can be routed.
I think those are only available in tha Russian Federation, right?
So pray tell me how I can get one routed to me?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I've bought one YotaPhone 2 from GearBest for 120 USD 2 years ago. Now 2 and 3 are availble in Aliexpress at least, but for more money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Pardon my ignorance and/or naivety, but would you care to explain what your objections actually... you know... like... ARE?

Are you saying that it is ridiculous to expect a fancy technology like AMOLED in 2019 when everything is made as a cheap rubbish meant to be thrown away after 6 months? And that expecting quality is akin to "living in a cave"? Is that it? I seriously cannot come up with any other interpretation, however hard I try.
Though he wasn't very polite, I understood fully what he was saying (I think...).

He was commenting on the fact that the conversation as a whole was taking issue with the modern components that Chen has chosen to use. Everyone was seemingly asking for "outdated" hardware instead of the "newest and best". So, from his point of view, the desire for "outdated" hardware could only be the direct result of those people living in a cave without the ability for discover newer and "superior" technology.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
That's what I thought he meant. But how is OLED an "outdated" technology? It's not like there is anything better on the market today, is it? (Short of e-ink, that is, but those are slow and not good for video or gaming, applications I could happily live without.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
That's what I thought he meant. But how is OLED an "outdated" technology? It's not like there is anything better on the market today, is it? (Short of e-ink, that is, but those are slow and not good for video or gaming, applications I could happily live without.)
No, I think his outburst was in support of AMOLED. It was in response to others complaining about it.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
No, I think his outburst was in support of AMOLED. It was in response to others complaining about it.
Yeah, exactly this.
I should have use quote, but I was so frustrated that I just bursted.

Here are a few examples:

Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Will the AMOLED be sunlight readable like the N900's transflective screen?
I mean, come on... (!!!) What kind of question is this!? N900 is a phone from 2009...! Probably any recent phone out there has a better screen than the N900.
AMOLED is superior to any other (colored) display out there as of writing this. Hell, even Apple finally went using AMOLED screens.

The N900's screen may be 'transfective' but I would never, ever, ever call it 'sunlight readable'.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Also the Nokia N9 featured clear black technology. This is a clever trick with polarization, which essentially blocks all reflected sunlight in the display. Converting it to heat.
In detail explained here.
It works quite well (of course not perfect), but has the disadvantage, that the display heats up very fast in sunlight.
Again, The AMOLED's are superior.

Originally Posted by Macros View Post
I guess modern AMOLED displays use this too? I never checked.
Get out of the cave and look around you!?

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
You do realise where you are right? on the website for people still using n900s.
Fanboy much? Take off the horse glasses, see and accept the truth!

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I don't care much about screen technology, even so I don't like the oversaturated colours of AMOLEDs. And I still miss the precise input possibility of the resitistive N900 Screen. (Please Chen give me a stylus)
First of all, first you say that you don't care much about screen technology, after that, you sau that you miss precise input possibility of the resistive screen. Contradict much!?
Have you EVER used the Note series of Samsung which has CAPACITIVE SCREEN with PRECISE SCREEN INPUT!?

But regarding screen size and aspect ratio I care a lot.
So the over all size of a phone is a very important point for me. Regarding aspect ratio: what is gained with 2:1? Most content where a larger screen is of relevance comes in 16:9 or even 4:3 or even 3:2: Movies and pictures.
Ok, use any dumbphone out there, it's the best for you. I don't know which movies you watch, but NO movie is recorded at 4:3 or 3:2 nowadays... Wtf?!

And sometimes sitting in a cave seems to be not the worst place, because new is not automatically better.
Ok, then sit in the cave and use your dumbphone with ancient technology.

Well, better living in a huge cave, than in your very limited New Age universe.
Limited???!!! LIMITED???!
NEW technology is LIMITED? I don't know if you live in a parallel universe, but here on earth new is indeed most of the times better.

By the way I sometimes watch old movies and guess what: They are most of the time very very good despite the fact, they are not 4K and they are 4:3 and sometimes they even miss colour. Whereas I've seen a lot of crapy 4K, ultrawidescreen, HDR and whatever movies.
There you go again with "OLD" stuff. Just please stay in the past ok?... Other people out there know that are better stuff in the world.

Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I would say iPhone 4S is the perfect size.
I really hope you're trolling, otherwise: WTF?!

Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
I like to watch old movies too. They come with black stripes on top and bottom and - as someone said recently - if there is a duel of two gunmen you might only see the guns but the heroes get cut on the left an right off the screen by the cropping. That's because it has been a film made for cinema 21:9, that got cut down for old tv format 4:3.
Thank you!!

E-inks are great. I would pay extra for an option to have an e-ink only. No LCD, no OLED, just e-ink. (Or two: one as the screen and one under a transparent keyboard dome sheet for an easily reconfigurable keyboard.)
Advice: Use dumbphone.

Originally Posted by imaginaryenemy View Post
Though he wasn't very polite, I understood fully what he was saying (I think...).

He was commenting on the fact that the conversation as a whole was taking issue with the modern components that Chen has chosen to use. Everyone was seemingly asking for "outdated" hardware instead of the "newest and best". So, from his point of view, the desire for "outdated" hardware could only be the direct result of those people living in a cave without the ability for discover newer and "superior" technology.
Yeah, sorry. I really am very frustrated about old people here who are afraid of using new technology, and praising old sh*t as if they are worshiping or something.
This is one of the biggest reasons why there is still no true successor out there for the N900.

For Chen:
Thank you VERY MUCH for making this awesome device that is truly still high end-ish at the time of writing this.
I really love the potention that you have put into this new upcoming device.

For people that wants to stay in their cave:
Get out of the cave, there is MORE space out there in the world than just 1 square feet! I Otherwise: You guys do NOT deserve this true N900 successor.

For all the others:
Hop on board! It's almost time to switch from your current phone

/mic drop

/rant

Last edited by HtheB; 2018-12-19 at 19:13. Reason: typos

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit