Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey everyone.

I've been thinking about starting a Maemo-specific podcast putting out episodes maybe once every week or two covering news, new software releases and tips and tricks for getting the most out of Maemo. It wouldn't be fully centered on Maemo 5/N900 either.

I've never created a podcast before... is there anyone in the community that has some experience? Anyone interested in helping or being interviewed on it? Ideas?

What do you think?

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
It's not very difficult. Record via a cheap mic into a computer. You could even do it on Skype with other people. Save the file as an MP3 and wither use a service to share the podcast (like http://www.libsyn.com/ or http://podcast.com/) or upload them to a Wordpress blog and use the Podpress plugin.) Etc.

I'd love to help. Having a show with more than one host (for discussion) is always more entertaining as well. If you use Skype, people could call in, etc.

Tim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'd love to have a cohost, especially for the discussion and different views on things, sure. Anyone interested in babbling with me?

Guess it's time to get a mic.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Guess I need to get a mic.
It might add a bit of interest if you could create at least the initial, N900/Maemo 5-focused episode entirely on the N900 itself. The mic is there, obviously, and if the video recording software has even basic trimming and splicing capabilities, you might be able to use it to assemble your show.

Of course, someone would have to send you an N900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I haven't had any experience with podcasting but I listen to alot of them. I know most people tend to record them off Skype (if their other cohosts are far away). They also tend to have a call-in section where people can call in and leave a message they could talk about or respond too.

I'd be happy to join in once in a while.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Call it "Linux in your Pocket" and make it just a tad broader than N900\Maemo for future growth.. that way you can start without having an N900 and bring the focus more and more toward N900 as it become available and cover whatever else available in the portable linux scene..

Oh, and get it hosted on iTunes too.. (seriously)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
It might add a bit of interest if you could create at least the initial, N900/Maemo 5-focused episode entirely on the N900 itself. The mic is there, obviously, and if the video recording software has even basic trimming and splicing capabilities, you might be able to use it to assemble your show.

Of course, someone would have to send you an N900...
That would be great... now if only someone would do that. *hint, hint*

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I had an idea to podcast about the tablets... but it never went anywhere... I had a friend even put together an intro jingle. A Maemo podcast would rock! Let me know if I can help out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Re. Skype... Yes, you can even call into a Skype conference, via phone.

Also, most services (including the Podpress Wordpress plugin) will automatically publish the podcast at iTunes.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Hey everyone.

I've been thinking about starting a Maemo-specific podcast putting out episodes maybe once every week or two covering news, new software releases and tips and tricks for getting the most out of Maemo. It wouldn't be fully centered on Maemo 5/N900 either.

I've never created a podcast before... is there anyone in the community that has some experience? Anyone interested in helping or being interviewed on it? Ideas?

What do you think?
I had a short run of podcasting, namely the Armored Penguin podcast. I would be willing to help out where I can, but be warned that I keep getting overcome by real life...Right now, I am commuting two hrs each way and working 3rd shift, so my time to actually podcast is limited. I am trying to get AP back up and running, but most of my time is spent driving, working and sleeping.

Feel free to PM me, and we can discuss further. First step for me was to set up a wiki to capture ideas, and then form them into shows.

--vr

Last edited by VulcanRidr; 2009-08-30 at 23:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VulcanRidr For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo, podcast