Active Topics

I really want to know how these work. Are they on some sort of private GPRS network?? What if it goes down, does the device become useless?

They use a local GSM network. The sales price includes one year of 30hrs/month of network use, but as the device does not have any significant offline applications and capabilities, that is pretty much synonymous with use in general.

With their German service, you have to pay 45 EUR for each additional year, and 10 EUR per month for time-unlimited use - but as they restrict you to their data-compressing proxies and their specs mention "average use", you should expect bandwidth limits if you are a power user.

It might be out in the US on T-Mobile at some point

There is some more info for this on Firebox if anyone is interested.

# 20 hours free websurfing a month for the first year, upgradeable to unlimited usage for £5.99 a month
# The PocketSurfer 2 can now roam outside the UK at a rate of £14.99 per hour = 25p per minute.
# Second year subscription as little as £40 for the year, giving you 20 hours free a month
I was actually considering buying one of these and an Archos player before I discovered the N800 and am happy I made the right choice. Problems I read about it was the lack of plugins including an old flash with no streaming capability.

It uses Oranges GPRS network, imagine how slow that would be Has no sound input or output what so ever. No touch screen, looks like its built cheaply. Seems like quiet the rip off. Most people are better off getting a N800, pairing it with their phone and using the internet through that, either way you'd still have to carry your phone around with the PocketSurfer. Has a 5" screen though, not sure about colours, but that size is sweet. EDIT: One of the reviewers says it only has a 256 colours screen, is that for real? Or does he mean 265k colours.

Last edited by MysticKiller; 2008-01-04 at 23:25.